VS

WATCHING YOU VS INSIDE OUT

????

• How about

HELP IS ON THE WAY VS ACT LIKE YOU KNOW

VS

????

the bassist from slave played on inside out.

as far as whatnauts vs fat back, not sure

how about james vs. isleys james vs david bowie ?

mary jane girls vs keni burke

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    What's the story here?

"Help Is On The Way" came out a year before "Act Like You Know", as far as I know. Freakin' love that bassline.

My vote goes to HIOTW.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    What's the story here?

"Help Is On The Way" came out a year before "Act Like You Know", as far as I know. Freakin' love that bassline.

My vote goes to HIOTW.

"Act Like You Know", from what I remember, came out not real long after "Help Is On The Way", like maybe a matter of a couple of months. I know they both were getting played around the same time. Fat Larry definitely bit that schitt from the Whatnauts, though. My memory's getting terrible in my old age but I'm pretty sure I got my facts right on this one.

And yeah, HIOTW beats ALYK everytime, although I dug ALYK a little bit too. HIOTW was a Mr. Magic staple back when it first came out (the REAL Mr. Magic, not the one from CT that my man PookeyBlow favors )

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    what about
    Commodores "Sail On"
    vs
    Johnny "Guitar" Watson
    "Children of the Night"

so similar.

• As far as the biting goes, this is about as bad as it gets. Sure, Bounce Rock Skate Roll sounds like Good Times, Carribean Queen sounds like Billie Jean, I Want a New Drug sounds like Ghostbusters, but man, Fat Larry just shoulda called it a cover song.

Whatnauts win by a landslide.

• How about

VS

????

James ripped off "Keep on Doin'," "Fame," "Skin Tight" and probably a buttload of other songs.

MJG and KB don't sound that similar to me.

• As far as the biting goes, this is about as bad as it gets. Sure, Bounce Rock Skate Roll sounds like Good Times

Whatnauts win by a landslide.
    Isn't Kenton Nix the bassplayer on " BRSRB" the same dude that produced heartbeat? If so you got an argument that he kinda worked that bassline better than Nile or Brian May(queen)

• How about

VS

????

James ripped off "Keep on Doin'," "Fame," "Skin Tight" and probably a buttload of other songs.

MJG and KB don't sound that similar to me.

listen again, a/b them same chords..slightly different feel.

outside of this genre, so many other rock songs that do this.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    As far as the biting goes, this is about as bad as it gets. Sure, Bounce Rock Skate Roll sounds like Good Times

I still remember the 1st time I heard Bounce Rock (like ALYK and HIOTW, came out just a couple of months after the Chic song)... in art class listening to 92 KTU first thing in the AM and they played it, one of the kids in class says "what the fuck is this, the retarded version of Good Times?" Everybody in class was clownin' it, but I knew without a doubt dj's were gonna be cuttin' this up at parties. Sure enough, that friday went to the local jam and whoever was on the tables was all night long.

AND speaking of "All Night Long", it was pretty much interchangeable with Keni Burke back in the dayz. I wouldn't call either a "bite" though- can't recall which came first... was Keni Burke '82 and MJG '83? I don't remember. All I know is that the MJG was THAT SCHITT when it dropped! Keni Burke was more underground, like an uptown classic but not really a big hit across the board I don't think.
    There was ANOTHER song that reminded me a lot of the Keni Burke song that came out in the fall of '82... it was I guess a jazz instrumental, they used to play it a lot on WDAS in Philly but they would never say the name of it. To this day I haven't heard that song since and have no idea who it's by. That's one of my personal holy grails... I would love to find that record, whatever it is.

MJG vs KB? I'm ridin' with KB. "Risin' To The Top" is one of my all time favorite songs, definitely top 20 for me.

• Next time someone asks me what kind of music I spin, I'm telling them:

the retarded version of Good Times

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    "Risin' To The Top" is one of my all time favorite songs, definitely top 20 for me.

Without a doubt.

Also, in my private mind garden I've created a sub-genre of music that "Risin' To The Top is firmly ensconsed within:

BBQ-Beat.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts

MJG vs KB? I'm ridin' with KB. "Risin' To The Top" is one of my all time favorite songs, definitely top 20 for me.

• what did yall think of that acoustic version ?
    ( sounds more like vocals taken from the masters along with bassline, acoustic played later)

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    good thread

• Whatnaughts for me by far, kenny burke as well...

Also i call this genre of laid back dance soul "uptown soul" since it's where (uptown meaning harlem) i heard the cuts played in a dance party setting...

some of the other uptown soul classics that i haven't seen mentioned are:

melissa morgans fools paradise
    deniece williams free
    maze's before i let go
    fatback i found love
    the whole darn family's 7 minutes of funk
    fonda rae's over like a fat rat
    jocelyn brown's somebody elses guy

ahh the list goes on and i'm probably missing some real gems...

• duh forgot alicia meyer's i want to thank you... duh

UPTOWN!

• fun ghost bump Dedan. I don't think you were posting sound-alike tracks but the "genre" you were going for reminded me of Paul Nice's old Soul On The Grill 2 mix.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    DjDedan said:
    duh forgot alicia meyer's i want to thank you... duh

UPTOWN!

one of my alltime favorite songs.