MEMPHIS APPRECIATION THREAD

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Is there anywhere else in the USA where you can get 100-300+ people dancing to funk & soul 45s until 4am or later? And then dig through 1000s of 45s the next day? Then like Joe Tex says, SHOW ME.Ever since DJing there a few months ago, I've talked up Memphis to everyone I know. Seriously, come down on October 27 and let The_Hook_Up and Shingaling show ya'll how it's done.Memphis natives, add some more talking points about your great city. NOTE: Texas natives, please no stories about gay waiters who serve you beer in a broken lip-cutting bottle no matter how true those stories may be. This is a pro-Memphis tourism thread.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Bullfrog Corner

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    although of no interest no Marco...this city is the home of the BEST BBQ in the world, yes Texas this means it is better than your BBQ.

also the best Fried Chicken in the world...Uncle Lou's and Gus's holler

but back to marco approved qualities...

One of the few cities left with actual juke-joints, the real deal...

a city where you can bump into folks like Issac Hayes, Willie Mitchell and Skip Pitts, and Carla Thomas at the grocery store...

a city where you can wave at Lou Bond riding his bike down Madison Ave...

a city where Willie Hall comes through the door and asks if he can use your fax machine....

a city where you can stand outside the USA's first all-black radio station and still tune in said station and listen to a Rufus Thomas track...

a city in which you can walk into the room where raw-assed RnB and rock n roll was first recorded...

a city where you can go out at 5AM for a beer...

a city where you can go see Al Green give a sermon...

a city where integrated bands played and recorded as far back as the 40s (a big deal for a southern city)

a city that, although is hot and humid for a few months in the summer, has some pretty good weather overall...

a city that brought Soul music to the world...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    sorry dude. eastern NC barbecue is the best. west TN is second though.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    eastern NC barbecue is the best. west TN is second though.

I was about to say...

Not that I have any input on the matter cuz like Marco there's no pork on my fork

(really)

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I wanna know more about getting a beer at 5AM though... is there no last call??

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

semi-"legal" after hours jernts

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

[drunk]I sure don't remember one.[/drunk]

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    although of no interest no Marco...this city is the home of the BEST BBQ in the world, yes Texas this means it is better than your BBQ.

also the best Fried Chicken in the world...Uncle Lou's and Gus's holler

but back to marco approved qualities...

One of the few cities left with actual juke-joints, the real deal...

a city where you can bump into folks like Issac Hayes, Willie Mitchell and Skip Pitts, and Carla Thomas at the grocery store...

a city where you can wave at Lou Bond riding his bike down Madison Ave...

a city where Willie Hall comes through the door and asks if he can use your fax machine....

a city where you can stand outside the USA's first all-black radio station and still tune in said station and listen to a Rufus Thomas track...

a city in which you can walk into the room where raw-assed RnB and rock n roll was first recorded...

a city where you can go out at 5AM for a beer...

a city where you can go see Al Green give a sermon...

a city where integrated bands played and recorded as far back as the 40s (a big deal for a southern city)

a city that, although is hot and humid for a few months in the summer, has some pretty good weather overall...

a city that brought Soul music to the world...

Change a few names and I can think of some CHICAGO equivalents (y'all got Stax, we got Chess; you can wave at Lou Bond ridin' his bicycle, I've ridden public transportation with Terry Callier; you got Uncle Lou's chicken, we're kickin' ass and stompin' dick with Harold's). BUT BY THE SAME TOKEN...I was in Memphis three months ago for the Ponderosa Stomp and totally fell in love with the city. On the plane back to Chitown, I was hoping my laid-back Memphis feeling wouldn't wear off. More power to Soulsville U.S.A.!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Is there anywhere else in the USA where you can get 100-300+ people dancing to funk & soul 45s until 4am or later?

Chicago at the Hideout, for the legendary East Of Edens Soul Express!

But I sure as hell had me some fun with the Memphis version!

One of many highpoints of my last trip to Memphis was driving past Hi Records' studio (still active) and seeing Willie Mitchell through the window...

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Hey - you just might get some Agent45 action that night in Memphis as well!

• does shingaling live in memphis now?

i have never been to memphis...i'd love to go. there's this recent elvis costello dvd and as a bonus feature elvis and his drummer go on a guided tour of memphis...it's really cool.

also, check out the movie "Mystery Train"!