R.E.M. APPRECIATION

2»

Comments

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    my first exposure to REM was in High School and getting a ride home with a buddy's sister and her friends and "Superman" being blasted and them singing along...my Slayer-loving ass HATED it. But, a couple years down the line and my interest in hardcore, which led to my love of Husker Du, then the discovery of the Byrds, led to me checking out the rest of "Life's Rich Pageant" and really liking it and the band...but my interest wained with "Green", the hick left Stipe's voice and they got a little self-important a la U2...but still a great band that folks will still be talking about and listening to 25 years from now.

"Superman" is a Clique cover. Easily the best Clique song IMO.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

I had a girlfriend who used to call this record mumble. Made me laugh every time.

My favorite REM song is probably begin the begin or driver 8.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Where the hell is kokomo anyway?

Indiana. Real heads don't know the deal.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    a lot of people are talking about hating the later stuff in here. that is like hating the beach boys because of 'kokomo'. the early rem stuff sounds wayyyyy different and by early i mean chronic town, murmur, and reckoning. up to '84, they sounded great. mills' bass is used as an instrument of melody instead of rhythm. wolves lower and a lot of their early songs is basically the same dancey drum beat as a lot of disco-y post-punk of the early 80s. it's not anywhere near 'losing my religion', you can actually move to it and people did.

stop disrespectfillating if you don't know the true

Have you heard the '82 boot Carnival of Sorts: Live at the Merlins, Madison WI.? Really solid stuff. A nice glimpse into the sturm und drang that was r.e.m.