HAWAII APPRECIATION

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
FUCK ALL YA'LL

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I've only been once, but I hope to go again soon. It was just plain amazing.

• Just got back from two weeks there (and I mean JUSSSST got back...like within the last hour) and it was incredible. Saw some gorgeous places, met some incredible people, and already want to head back. This was one of the best trips of my lifetime.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    DAMN RIGHT!!!

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

kitchenknight, plaese to holler when you get a chance. congratulations again, and where's the pics?!?

• pics to come tomorrow...didn't get any records that were too crazy (you probably have them all...as i didn't know a ton, i picked what looked good, but is prob pretty common.) did get one weirdo local 45, though...will pm w/ info.

did get one weirdo local 45, though.

Weirdo local 45's, that's what I'm all about. Inform.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    i Fuckin Love Hawaii

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Went to Maui in January......incredible. Absolutely stunning.

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    I got to stay in Valcano Village area on the Big Island with my Sister while she lived there for a couple weeks back in 99. It was a trip hearing every kind of music played reggae style. And the girls......wow

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    pics to come tomorrow...didn't get any records that were too crazy (you probably have them all...as i didn't know a ton, i picked what looked good, but is prob pretty common.) did get one weirdo local 45, though...will pm w/ info.

that's what the fuck i'm talking about!

And the girls......wow

i like :

shmaw kine

• Okay...heres a few flicks from the HI trip. First week was spent on the northern coast of Kaua'i.

Hanalei valley Taro fields

god at day break...

Vows overlooking the Southern Coast...

The farmer's markets were total NEXT LEVEL. I call this stilllife with 3 mangoes, 5 Lilikoi's, apple bananas, mountain apples, papaya and pineapple.

While casting our wedding lei's into the ocean, we received this good omen.

Ended with 5 days in Honolulu while the lady worked with Antiques Roadshow. For real, the generosity and kindness of the people we met was unreal. The people of that city really threw down for us, and it was the perfect end to our honeymoon (pre-real wedding, post hawaii legal ceremony). Got a suite at the hotel, 3 fruitbaskets, 2 bottles of champagne upon arrival. Threw us a sick party on Friday, received wedding gifts from total strangers, the lady scored a Lost Crew shirt (totally face melt if you are into the show)and she got this lei, which was just stunning. On the day of the Roadshow event, she said 30 different people stopped her to say they'd never seen anything like it. The whole Roadshow day was a gas...People in line playing Ukes and Basses they were getting appraised, while people hula danced. Then, a big party on the beach that night. The whole week weekend was great, and even got a couple days free to explore the windward side. If you haven't been to the 49th state, pack them bags and get on a plane. Totally worth your time...

EDIT: HA! oh shit, that resizing really DID work on Photobucket...I'll repost larger on the landscapes when I get home.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I lived in Honolulu for 6 months. Been to Big Island and Maui too. HAWAI'I IS BEST! Not for living though. Most of my high school friends moved to the "main land", because they felt trapped (in paradise).

I LOVE HAWAI'I.

Moanalua High School 1996! Go Mighty Menehunes!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    dude I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Hawaii!!! growing up in SF all my friends were always taking off with their families for Hawaii! I'm like, how can I be down?

it looks amazing.

and the weather seems dope.

but since this is soulstrut, I gotta ask: How are race relations REALLY between the natives and the white folks?

• Options

Hanalei valley Taro fields

A couple years ago I posted a photo of the same taro fields and NBizzo recognized them right away (anyone who drives through that area would though, it's a scenic overlook and the photo's don't do it justice) Here's the photo...I have a panoramic shot of them too but it would be too big for the thread.

Aerial view of the North Shore area of Oahu from a small plane right before I jumped out of it...

I love me some Hawaii. Favorite place on this good earth.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    glad to see this parody thread still going
    kitchenknight, that shit looks beautiful man

as far as race relations go, it really depends where you are on the island. for the most part, if you are white and obnoxious, you will get treated worse than anyone wherever you go. if you know your place and are polite, you'll be fine.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Wifey and I went for our belated honeymoon two years ago. We visited Oahu, Maui, and Hawai'i (the big island). I especially enjoyed the big island for its unique landscape (the middle looks like the moon, while the coasts are lush), beautiful beach (NW side opposite of Hilo), and seclusion. Plus, staying in the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel was magnificient.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

did get one weirdo local 45, though.

Weirdo local 45's, that's what I'm all about. Inform.

I don't think my mic was on. Inform.

• kitchenknight: glad to see you guys had a wonderful time! next time you come out we should definitely get drinks or something. let me also suggest, helena's in kalihi for the best hawaiian food (ask shitzr!). it's completely no frills, but won a james beard award.

i'm very jealous of those mountain apples!!! they have been my favorite fruit since childhood, but impossible (for me) to get for the past year or so. did you guys check out the peruvian tamales at the open market? i've heard that the hilo market is substantially better than most of the ones we have here on oahu.

anyhow, you completely focused in on the real reason why hawaii is so special. it's the people. add the natural surroundings, food, and music, and it's hard to beat.

---

grope: were you collecting records when you went to moanalua? we may have crossed paths...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Plus, staying in the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel was magnificient.

my high school paid my room at Mauna Lani Bay! I was that kind of baller (tennis - )!!!

wonderful place. i wanna go back ASAP and check out all the orchids and other rare flowers.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

grope: were you collecting records when you went to moanalua? we may have crossed paths...

i still got my yearbook. i was a junior in 1996. where you at moanalua high school? i wasn't so heavily into records back then and i didn't have much money. i went to that record and cd store near the Pearlridge mall a lot. I didn't have a driver's license and was reliant on my friends (not into records) and host parents. So i never checked any other place.
    I remember seeing some records, but I didn't buy anything back then. I didn't have a record player and I was more interested in girls and stuff... I wish I had picked up some Hawai'ian records. Would be a great memory.