AMERICA APPRECIATION THREAD

124»

Comments

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    But.....over the last 100 years we have OWNED popular music.

But the fact is, musically, America has lead the way for the last century.

And there ain't no arguing it so don't even try.

All these threads smell like some flag saluting bs to me anyway.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    It's the list of some of the best selling artists ever. The sales figures are not really relevant, because you can't really trust record companies to say the truth, but to overlook the importance of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones (not to mention Julio Iglesias) in the history of popular music is not a good look.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Don't be silly.

overlook the importance of the Beatles Little Richard and the Rolling Stones John Lee Hooker in the history of popular music is not a good look.

You can have Julio and Nana.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Don't be silly.

overlook the importance of the Beatles Little Richard and the Rolling Stones John Lee Hooker in the history of popular music is not a good look.

cant we just attribute all the rolling stones sales to chuck berry anyway?

Don't be silly.

chuck berry wouldn't even piss on brian jones' grave.

fucking white people. everything comes down to what was sold. hopefully this includes your souls?

Don't be silly.

fucking white people. everything comes down to what was sold. hopefully this includes your souls?

But I'm white and I just pointed it out??? Would chuck berry piss on my grave? Would he if Brian Jones were in it? I'm confused.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Don't be silly.

Rock & Roll is purely American ......we may not have much in the way of the arts over a 2,000 year period but we do have R&R batches!!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    James Brown and John Lee Hooker invented modern music...and the white man invented exploiting said inventions...America!!!!!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Don't be silly.

But I'm white and I just pointed it out??? Would chuck berry piss on my grave? Would he if Brian Jones were in it? I'm confused.

Chuck Berry would secretly videotape a woman pissing on the grave...

---

Would chuck berry piss on my grave? I'm confused.

Your face and mouth, yes. Maybe not your grave.

Don't be silly.

Chuck Berry would secretly videotape a woman pissing on the grave...

---

awe man. you beat me to my punch line. i was totally setting that up.

bastard.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    My Ding-A-Ling b/w Johnny P. Goode

I'll accept either answer.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I don't think you'll ever know how "American" you are until you've lived overseas for a while.

If there's one thing that I learned from living in Korea for 2 years, it was that I am American. I think like an American, I talk like an American, I act like an American.... and what does that even mean? I'm not sure, but I knew it when I was there. And I felt at home with other Americans.

I could never fit in to Korea, no matter what, because I was white, which is fine, but that also meant that I could never relax, I could never be comfortable, I could never be alone. There wasn't ever a time where somebody wasn't staring at me. On post though, I was with people that were like me, and that was comforting. When you travel to another country, thats one thing. It almost seems quaint and fun to be different and stick out. But living like for 2 years gets really old really quick.

That didn't necessarily equate to pride, but I decided that it sure as shit wasn't something that I was ashamed of. I went through a period of the whole "you know what? Fuck you. I AM American, and I AM a GI, so fuck off". Which was natural I guess. After a while I mellowed back out again and got used to the way things were and wasn't so angry about it.

But uh, yeah, its cool. I hung out with DJ Sheep in Taiwan. His friend offered me some gum, but used some Aussie slang for it, and I had no idea what he was talking about, and Sheep was like "Dude, he's american, they call it gum, he doesn't know what the fuck a ______ is..." It was pretty funny. They hipped me to some aussie slang. I forgot most of it. There was a word for sandwich which wsa pretty funny. We had fun.

Anyways, I think my point is that you don't know how american/australian/chinese/korean/african/etc you are until you aren't around those people anymore.

I think its ok to be proud of where you're from because it directly relates to who you are. Or not. Whatever.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I don't think you'll ever know how "American" you are until you've lived overseas for a while.

If there's one thing that I learned from living in Korea for 2 years, it was that I am American. I think like an American, I talk like an American, I act like an American.... and what does that even mean? I'm not sure, but I knew it when I was there. And I felt at home with other Americans.

I could never fit in to Korea, no matter what, because I was white, which is fine, but that also meant that I could never relax, I could never be comfortable, I could never be alone. There wasn't ever a time where somebody wasn't staring at me. On post though, I was with people that were like me, and that was comforting. When you travel to another country, thats one thing. It almost seems quaint and fun to be different and stick out. But living like for 2 years gets really old really quick.

That didn't necessarily equate to pride, but I decided that it sure as shit wasn't something that I was ashamed of. I went through a period of the whole "you know what? Fuck you. I AM American, and I AM a GI, so fuck off". Which was natural I guess. After a while I mellowed back out again and got used to the way things were and wasn't so angry about it.

But uh, yeah, its cool. I hung out with DJ Sheep in Taiwan. His friend offered me some gum, but used some Aussie slang for it, and I had no idea what he was talking about, and Sheep was like "Dude, he's american, they call it gum, he doesn't know what the fuck a ______ is..." It was pretty funny. They hipped me to some aussie slang. I forgot most of it. There was a word for sandwich which wsa pretty funny. We had fun.

Anyways, I think my point is that you don't know how american/australian/chinese/korean/african/etc you are until you aren't around those people anymore.

I think its ok to be proud of where you're from because it directly relates to who you are. Or not. Whatever.
    Hell yes!

I love the U.S and multiple overseas tours makes me more appreciative to be on U.S soil.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I went through a period of the whole "you know what? Fuck you. I AM American, so fuck off".
    OH dude. I feel you on this. I had to stay in Zurich for about a month after the last presidential election, and i got shit from just about everyone. After a while, I almost started to back Dubya in spite.

Well, I'll be back in Korea in a few days. We'll see how it goes. At least I'm not a GI anymore.

Another funny thing about being overseas is that you can always spot a Canadian. They put Canadian flags on their backpacks, jackets, hats, whatever it takes, so people don't confuse them for Americans. I always thought that was pretty funny, but then again, couldn't really blame them for it anyways.

I'm a little worried about HJ though. She is Korean American. Korean Americans aren't treated very well out there, especially if their Korean isn't so good. She's already made up her mind that she's not even gonna try and speak Korean out there.

My Korean's not that great either, but they are usually impressed because its coming out of a white mouth. So we decided I'll do all the talking, and if people give her shit and ask why she doesn't speak Korean? well.... I've got that all planned out already. I'm going to tell them she's not Korean.... She's MEXICAN! Most Koreans don't know what the fuck a mexican looks like anyways. I'll be like "Koreans and Mexicans actually look a lot alike. Its a common mistake." I can't wait. I wonder how many people will fall for it? She even knows a little spanish.

I'll report back on how that goes.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Well, I'll be back in Korea in a few days. We'll see how it goes. At least I'm not a GI anymore.

Another funny thing about being overseas is that you can always spot a Canadian. They put Canadian flags on their backpacks, jackets, hats, whatever it takes, so people don't confuse them for Americans. I always thought that was pretty funny, but then again, couldn't really blame them for it anyways.

I'm a little worried about HJ though. She is Korean American. Korean Americans aren't treated very well out there, especially if their Korean isn't so good. She's already made up her mind that she's not even gonna try and speak Korean out there.

My Korean's not that great either, but they are usually impressed because its coming out of a white mouth. So we decided I'll do all the talking, and if people give her shit and ask why she doesn't speak Korean? well.... I've got that all planned out already. I'm going to tell them she's not Korean.... She's MEXICAN! Most Koreans don't know what the fuck a mexican looks like anyways. I'll be like "Koreans and Mexicans actually look a lot alike. Its a common mistake." I can't wait. I wonder how many people will fall for it? She even knows a little spanish.

I'll report back on how that goes.

This make my fuckin' day.

• alot of enemies of freedom up in here.

alot of enemies of freedom up in here.

What branch did you serve in, oh friend of freedom?

His response...

The chirps are deafening.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

His response...

The chirps are deafening.

This was so funny I almost spit out my provolone sandwich!! A++++ Will do business with again!!!

Glad to see my thread is really POPPING OFF!!! LET'S CONTINUE TO GET IT CRACKING[/b] LADIES AND GENTLEMEN...

And he still don't have a response.

• And he still don't have a response.

He's probably busy logging off of his other account......

And he still don't have a response.

He's probably busy logging off of his other account......
    I don't doubt it.

Little dude moves to the fullest.