1993 Rapp - what got play where you stay?

13»

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    As for being 'scared' of wutang, please to recognize that this wasnt some hide under the covers shit, it was more some "this is SERIOUS SHIT REAL TALK" and that part of that was the creepy music video which I saw on the BOX. I never had cable, so when I was home sick it was always the rabbit ears and Snoop, Dre, Biggie and Wu Tang videos.

• I was playing and spinning a lot of the stuff you guys mentioned but what got play where I stay?

MC THICK- Marrero

Then again I am from Louisiana.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    most shit got mentioned but I use to jam the fuck out of this tape

U Don't Hear Me Tho got a lot of play on phoenix radio. I also remember getting a wutang cassingle at christown mall and my friends all clowning on me for listening to some chinese rap bullshit. They refused to deal with it and insisted that it could never match up to the Blood & Crips tape, Banging On Wax. They changed their minds in a couple years though. I also remember Get In Where You Fit In getting a lot of play. I'm A Player was pretty huge on phx radio. I listened to a lot of spice 1 too, on a good day I might still remember the words to trigga got no heart. Til Death Do Us Part was a big part of my life at the time, shit it still is. I use to play Six Feet Deep for my mother in an attempt to convince her that rap music was not stupid.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    For me:

Oh yeah, and the Pharcyde seemingly COULD be avoided at anyone's house...which of course was a good thing.
    DOPE

Seriously... I never understood the appeal.

-- Perhaps you've never had an appropriate context for enjoying them? --

Another memory:

The front seat of my Chevy Chevelle 350 Big Block, after a Slayer concert at the Henry J. Kaiser in Oakland, getting my brand new Machine Head shirt all sticky, fogging the windows, going for it while not giving a fuck who noticed. Afterward, she said, "do you like this group Pharcyde?" I had never heard of them. She gave me the Bizzare Ride CD and it's been a favorite ever since.

Her boyfriend, a convicted murderer, threatened to kill me a few weeks later.

"For Your Bumpin' Enjoyment"

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    A Tribe Called Quest
    Beastie Boys
    De La
    Pharycyde
    Gangstarr
    Casual
    Das Efx
    Wu Tang
    Redman
    Too Short

but mostly indie rock and punk rock stuff back then to be honest

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Oh yeah, and the Pharcyde seemingly COULD be avoided at anyone's house...which of course was a good thing.
    DOPE

Appropriate Context?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    DOPE

Appropriate Context?

Looks about right.

I liked some of the stuff on the second album, though.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    We had a lot of Kid Frost in Central Cali, and of course Too $hort, Spice 1 and the Bay Area all well-represented. For some reason, D-Nice got a bit of play...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    KRSONE - Hip Hop vs Rap
    Kool G Rap & Polo - On The Run(Remix)

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I also had a philly blunt shirt.

I had one too and was wearing it while djing my fathers PHD party. My grandma came up to me and said "Doesn't this have something to do with drugs?" I was shocked that she actually knew, being from a small town in East Germany and her having no connection to HipHop whatsoever. To this day, I wonder where she got that info from. I just smiled at her being puzzled....actually, I was also the first one to rock fat laces and superstars at my school (imagine!) and people came up to me and asked why I had such thick shoelaces in my granddads old soccer shoes...people were behind the moon over here, I tell you...ah, 93 was a DOPE year, WROD!

• Think back to 1993 and tell about the rapp that got play in your house.
    Just name between 5 and 10, either songs or full albums.

And hey...Be Honest.

turning fourteen in tokyo,
    foreign trades of hip hop is a commodity.
    gansta photos staged with the the hippie peace sign (a.k.a. cute bunnies)

I listened to what my sister & brother hand me downed---

anything Public Enemy till 93(lps) - hazy shade of criminal was 93/92?
    anything Beastie Boys till 93(singles) - so what'cha want / love american style
    Souls of Mischief - that's when ya lost
    Pharcyde - Passin' Me By - Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde
    3rd Bass - derelicts of dialect

and...
    i remember they didn't want the Biz Markie - Let Me Turn You On in the house but i had that on playing a few times (maybe more) (regardless) i remember the cover more than the tune after the Biggie Smalls Obsession around 94. retracing what you all were actually listening to in 93 around 98; entering the wu-doggystyle-de-la-soul-ice-cube in aftermaths.

i think this was 1993 for me