Aaliyah

CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Lonnie B was playing a bunch of Aaliyah on his 12o'clock mix. Today is the 5 year anniversary of her death. In addition to being super fine she had some great songs. What were some of your favorites? I was always a fan of "Are you that somebody?" & "If your Girl only knew".

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Nothin huh?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Aaliyah was amazing. Her s/t is one of the best R&B albums of the last ten years, practically perfect song for song - the album tracks are so unbelievably solid (sosickandtired of the LOOSE RAP)

her shit with R Kelly was pretty great BACK BACK FORTH AND FORTH but she was like Timbaland's muse or something - whether on ballads ("I Care 4 U," "One in a Million") or bangers ("Try Again") they were a perfect team.

"One In Million" is of course one of the most gorgeous R&B tracks EVER. One thing someone pointed out to me once is how, despite its glitchy rhythms, the beat itself is totally nonfunctional - it doesn't exist to create a groove, merely to be rhythmically interesting on its own. In other words, the drums skitter around not to make you dance or nod your head or whatever but as part of the track's inherent beauty. Her singing is heavenly, esp when double tracked on the chorus.

I found some euro release of the s/t album which, despite being unplayable on computers (grrr) is great for including extra bonus traxxx, including "Try Again."

• I miss her.

Her death was much sadder to me than Pac's or Biggie's, for some reason.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

came out last year for those who don't want to track down her whole (regrettably small) discography.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I miss her.

saw one of her lps the other day and pulled it from the bins and just stared at the cover for a minute giving a eulogy in my mind.

cosine to 'one in a million' being one of her best tracks. 'are you that somebody' was excellent too. and 'back and forth' still gets crazy love/airplay in chicago!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    When I was in my too cool for anything comercial phase I still always liked Aaliyah. No one could deny her talent.

• When I was in my too cool for anything comercial phase I still always liked Aaliyah. No one could deny her talent.

Cosign. "Are you that somebody" got play by everybody, despite their view of Clear Channel ratings.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I played trumpet in band back in h.s. and we used to play the melody to 'are you that somebody' at basketball games, everyone in the crowd loved that shit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I miss her.

No doubt. She was on the cusp to real big thangs. I think the public didnt have that much time to mourn her passing 'cause of 9/11.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

her shit with R Kelly was pretty great

Her cover of "At Your Best" which, as far as I know, was produced by the Awruh = possibly my favorite Aaliyah song

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    She was truly growing as a singer and as an artist. It started with the second album, progressed with "Are You That Somebody", and her third album was just... it showed a lot of growth from someone who was an R. Kelly Happy Meal. I remember when "We Need A Revolution" came out, the video at least, and was just floored by it. I ordered the 12", and placed an order for the double LP.

I think if you look at someone like Ciara, who pretty much jocks all of her moves, you can sense the void she left behind. Or at least that's how I feel, because I think she was headed places. Maybe it was out of the music business, but a lot of female singers in R&B today are all ass and no voice.

At least Erykah Badu has both.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    RIP
    ima wear my aaliyah shirt today

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Maybe it was out of the music business, but a lot of female singers in R&B today are all ass and no voice.[/b]

Exhibit A...
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=708619&an=0&page=0#Post708619

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Maybe it was out of the music business, but a lot of female singers in R&B today are all ass and no voice.[/b]

Without question Aaliyah > Cassie obv, but this whole "back in the day singers were TALENTED" thing is retarded and people used to say the same shit about Aaliyah, and they used to say the same shit about the R&B artists in the 90s R&B thread. R&B is pretty damn solid at the moment (and chartwise its way outperforming hip-hop) so I can't understand why people will so earnestly repeat the same "how things USED to be" nonsense.

For example...

I like last year's album by Teedra Moses a whole lot. She also ghostwrote for xtina milian (see "Dip it Low") but her own album is much more ghostly, icy sounding retro-futurist 90s nostalgia. "Backstroke," OMG.

Without question Aaliyah > Cassie obv, but this whole "back in the day singers were TALENTED" thing is retarded and people used to say the same shit about Aaliyah, and they used to say the same shit about the R&B artists in the 90s R&B thread.

Exactly--I remember lots of people complaining that Aaliyah couldn't sing.

But she made the most of the ability that she had, and that's no different from what Cassie is doing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

To tell the truth, i cant listen to this album st8 through. I felt is was transition album, w/ her trying to slowly establish herself w/out Timbaland. There are memorable singles but as a whole I think it comes up short.
    I knew where she was going though, which takes some bravery considering her position at the time.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Which ones werent you feeling?

Some of her non-timbo tracks are my favorites ("Rock the boat" obviously, but also "Loose Rap"...Was "Between the Lines" timbo? I don't think so, that too.)

• i REAAAAAAAAAAAALY liked "Rocked The Boat". The beat on that is some straight spaced out ethereal schitt. Did Timbo make this?

I need the remix (It had a reinterpolation of Syvlia Striplin/Junior Mafia's "Get MoneY")

• Nah that dude Static from Playa made it.

I celebrate Aaliyah's entire catalog.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    That was done by Key Beats, who also did "Never No More" and "Its Whatever" as well as "independent women pt. 2" and "perfect man" by Destiny's Child. I believe the sample for "Rock the Boat" is taken from some 80s R&B song? I remember hearing a very similar yet older-sounding track on a 'lite jazz' radio station or something.

• oh. oops.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    oh. oops.
    I'm pretty sure, Wikipedia gives him a writing credit for it though? So we might both be right. I could be wrong but I was pretty sure Key Beats were involved. I'll have to double-check when i get home, i'll take a look at the liners.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Another quick google search suggests that 'key beats' was Aaliyah, Tank and Playa. I'm not sure how accurate that is.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Without question Aaliyah > Cassie obv, but this whole "back in the day singers were TALENTED" thing is retarded and people used to say the same shit about Aaliyah, and they used to say the same shit about the R&B artists in the 90s R&B thread.

Exactly--I remember lots of people complaining that Aaliyah couldn't sing.

But she made the most of the ability that she had, and that's no different from what Cassie is doing.
    So Aaliyah and Cassie can both really sing?

oh. oops.
    I'm pretty sure, Wikipedia gives him a writing credit for it though? So we might both be right. I could be wrong but I was pretty sure Key Beats were involved. I'll have to double-check when i get home, i'll take a look at the liners.

I'm sure he wrote it--as he's done with a lot of things involving Timbaland--but I've never known him to do much production.