what does hipster maen to you?

Comments

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Doesn't anyone understand what the Sneetches are about?
    no, what are you talking about?

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

the dr seuss shit?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    03/16/05. That average was based on 133 respondents, so interpret that how you will.
    inconclusive data.
    I'm inclined to agree, though it is the only thing (semi) concrete that we have to work with, other than raw intuition (which some would argue is superior to empirical evidence in the first place).

Well we know there are a LOT more folks over 30 then there are under 20 here, so that would skew things in that direction... 28ish sounds about right to me

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Hey, people make the World go round! Actually, yuppies make the world go round and hipsters are usually just hangin around so you get to chat to them more. They can be cool and funny, sometimes unintentionally whereas yuppies are always unintentionally funny. Both groups need to get over themselves, learn how to be productive and not piss the rest of us off on a daily basis with their annoying habits!

So, here's my guide to telling one from t'other:

[color:brown]Hipster[/color] vs. Yuppie

[color:brown] Debate Team in High School [/color] Breathtakingly average in High School
    [color:brown]Got into art rock in College [/color] Got a degree in Computers or Interior Design
    [color:brown]Did work experience in TV/Music Production [/color] Did work experience for a multinational
    [color:brown]Got an iMac for Birthday [/color] Bought iMac with tax rebate then bought Adobe Graphics Suite
    [color:brown]Goes out more nights a week than you [/color] Pays more in tax than you make. Watches Must See TV
    [color:brown]First record was a cassette single [/color] First record was a boxed set
    [color:brown]Digs the MIA album [/color] Can do the Roger Rabbit
    [color:brown]Owns a white belt [/color] Drives a white convertible
    [color:brown]Wears crappy t-shirts ironically [/color] Bought leather pants seriously intending to wear them
    [color:brown]Works at le Bistro [/color] Eats at le Bistro
    [color:brown]Clutches melted ice latte for hours [/color] Drinks cappucino after dinner
    [color:brown]Smuggles sm bottle of Bells into gig [/color] Asks "do you have any Belgian beer?"
    [color:brown]Makes a dime bag last a month [/color] Thinks a dime bag costs $10
    [color:brown]Racks smack with Metrocard [/color] Likes coke blown up the asss, what's a Metrocard?

Ideally, none of these will apply to you. That makes you normal. On the whole, hipsters win out but all I'm sayin is they ain't much fucking use in this economy. Live a little you miserable shits.

• Options
    In Australia, hipsters are often referred to as "COOLSIES"

I thought this was pretty funny too.

• Options
    (mostly) suburban white kids with no sense of identity and the need to latch onto the next "underground" trend.

Not too many hipsters in the suburbs out here Brian, mostly indie rock kids who've been doing the same shit since the late mid to late '80s, only then it was punk and hardcore shows. Might be different on Oahu though?

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

never heard that term myself, but with reference to the aforementioned suburbs, there is a 'fitz-royal' (fitzroyality) term for the self annointed bastions of all things cool (which usually aren't that cool or exciting at all)

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts

never heard that term myself, but with reference to the aforementioned suburbs, there is a 'fitz-royal' (fitzroyality) term for the self annointed bastions of all things cool (which usually aren't that cool or exciting at all)

Are you an Aussie? bc if so.... you SHOULD be using this term all the time

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    ^^

dude, thats one of the straight-up plain stupidest terms I have ever heard in my life

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    ^^

dude, thats one of the straight-up plain stuipdest terms I have ever heard in my life

whatever... you're probably a COOLSIE

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Lucero is not a coolsie I could use words to describe him but its fairly obvious he is too sensitive to deal with any criticism so I'll just smile and leave him to his own private mind garden

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

the dr seuss shit?

"Half of the Sneetches have bellies with stars, and half of the Sneetches have no stars on thars.
    The problem is, all of the Sneetch Dads and Mothers want bellies that look like the ones of the others.
    But here comes that sly guy, Sylvester McBean, and his magical Star-On and Star-Off Machine,
    Who says 'Step right in, I'm the Fix-it-Up Chappie. I'll change all your bellies and then you'll be happy!'"

As they say, REAL SPEAK

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    'Aussie' is a offensive term for the good folks Down Under? I know us Yanks haven't made your country fashionable in 18 years, but you guys kick ass for Yahoo Serious, Fosters and Rocko's Modern Life

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    Lucero is not a coolsie I could use words to describe him but its fairly obvious he is too sensitive to deal with any criticism so I'll just smile and leave him to his own private mind garden

dude, the irony of this is killing me

The assertion by someone who's posts I haven't even noticed that I might be a 'coolsie' drops off my radar as quickly as the warbling posts about your own anguished existence.

I don't need any validation for my being from soulstrut peeps, particularly the narrow minded US centric ones.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I really have no problem with so called "hipsters". As long as they're cool people, they're alright with me.

I enjoy accompanying hipster girls to many an art show and have no problem sucking up the free booze and dancing to some no wave or whatever the fuck the dj is playing.

ill take the echo park art crowd over the beverly hills natives any day of the week. Its not completely my scene, but i refuse to be limited to any one scene or the other. If theres girls there, im usually pretty happy.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

The assertion by someone who's posts I haven't even noticed that I might be a 'coolsie' drops off my radar as quickly as the warbling posts about your own anguished existence.

I don't need any validation for my being from soulstrut peeps, particularly the narrow minded US centric ones.

hmm which quote should I requote?

maybe this one?

I could use words to describe him but its fairly obvious he is too sensitive to deal with any criticism

yeah that seems about right

now back to the posts. I'm surprised to hear "hipster" being thought of as a suburban kid. I've always thought of the term as a city thing. Bsides and I, as well as the New Yorkers that have posted are probably on the same page with our definitions (althought I'm still understandign this white belt thing all too well). I'm wondering if hipster means something more suburban to other people in otehr parts of the US or the rest of the world

• my only gripe is This term is used waaaay too lightly. my main source of income is graphic art. I also work in a museum. I went to a private art college (which ill be paying off for a good while) therefore people assume im a hipster. why is art directly associated with hipsterism? most hipsters ive met have not/cannot draw or do not want to put the time into making art. If they buy it, fine. I have no problem paying my bills with thier money.

When i think of a hipster, i usually picture kids with ironically bad haircuts and expensive designer clothes and accessories. Or the kids that go for the ultra nerd Napoleon Dynamite type look.

If you wear anything but clothes with sports teams and logos all over them people seem to think you are a hipster.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    I could use words to describe him but its fairly obvious he is too sensitive to deal with any criticism

guzzo, you don't know anything about me so how are you going to describe me, and what are you going to criticise me about - my low tolerance for the aforementioned warbling posts about your own anguished existence?

excuse me, but I'm not alone on this - don't say you've already forgotten your status as soulstruts most hated poster

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    excuse me, but I'm not alone on this - don't say you've already forgotten your status as soulstruts most hated poster

dude let it go. Yor pretty much making a perfect fool of yourself. I said you would be sensitive to criticism and sure enough that one comment brought out this ugly side of you.

It's nice to know that you believe you have the authority to shape opinion on me. yet

you don't know anything about me so how are you going to describe me

your beefing at me over nothing except the fact I said you'd be senstive to any talk about you. kinda ironic in that non-coolsie way don't ya think?

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    Dude, go to the top of the page, you're the one who started this - coolsie is a stoopid-ass term

6 things about Guzzo:

1. His real name is Adam Klien
    2. His parents are deaf, so he communicates with them using sign language
    3. He used to work in a used record store and was subject to ongoing anti-semitic harassment
    4. He subsequently got some work with Anthony Pearson, but is trying to get some Hollywood type studio gig
    5. He's supposedly an ok guy in the real world, but doesn't often give that impression on the internet
    6. In addition to modern soul, he's an avid collector of Hair records. John Sangsters 'A head full of hair' is one that has eluded him to date.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    both of ya'll need to chill the fuck out

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    funny thing I got no beef with this dude. I'm just telling him to chill out.

I gotta admit though seeing this dude type out bulletpoints on my life makes me wonder how much dude is into me.

Lucero:[/b] seriously don't start none won't be none. My initial comment about you being sensitive to criticism was based on previous posts in this thread in which you seemed to be pretty senstive to criticism. read up on your read ups and you'll see where I was coming from. Please don't try to get cross with me over nothing.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    don't flatter yourself, and don't try turn this around on me (as per your M.O)

the "bulletpoints on (your) life" are merely a reflection of your warbling ways - I have no real interest in you and what you're up to, which is why I've previously asked you to refrain from posting personal blog type stuff

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    25 year old white dudes that love the strokes but also claim to love:
    1. os mutantes
    2. the stooges
    3. meters
    4. beach boys, but only "pet sounds"
    5. che
    peace, stein. . .

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    ok dude this is getting just past stupid now.This is gonna be my last post on this matter and in honor of my number one fan I'll used numbered points:

1. you seem pretty hung up on me (and thats putting it nicely)

2. You act as if you have me pegged when truth is you have never met me and quite honestly I don't think we ever will. Just because you seem to have a knack for following and recording factoids about my life don't mean shit except that you have an unhealthy obsession with this sexy Jew.

3. There was another post on here that addressed you, you chose to leave it alone. I do not understand why you couldn't do the same with my one comment about not [/b]talking about you.

4. your really getting on my nerves and creeping me out at the same time. Internet fanboys need to seperate themselves from their obsession

5. Please don't address me any more

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    25 year old white dudes that love the strokes but also claim to love:

5. che

thanks Y.Einstein you just inspired a new thread

• reskresk 391 Posts
    some characteristics i tend to think of....

dreadlocks on white people
    star tatoos
    veagan
    vegetarian
    health food freaks
    art majors
    chuck taylors
    often skateboard
    they look dirty
    mention williamsburg all the time
    make fun of most urban trends (yet got stupid ass trends themselves)

shit i cant think of others at the moment

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

make fun of most urban trends (yet got stupid ass trends themselves)

This is so uber-self-Soulstrut-referential I feel like I am spinning into an abyss I may never see the end of.

I dig all of you even though you are pretty much hipsters. That ain't all bad.

Here's a friend of mine's kick ass 70s band, the Hypstrz

they still play on occasion and they are still

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    some characteristics i tend to think of....

veagan

vegetarian

health food freaks

often skateboard

You're way off.

Any sort of board sport participator is exempt from being cast under this status.

True poser's emulate this lifestyle, not participate in it.

Eating healty is hipster? What the fuck are you talking about.

People are way to cynical these days. As soon as something is seen as cool it is instantly shrugged off as being "hipster" and therefore no longer cool but a bandwagon trend.

This post is beyone lame.

Call me what you want, but most people who use this word frequently are either trying to not be cast under this monikor out of fear or have really a boring existance. Why waste your time hating on what other people are doing unless they are actually affecting your life negatively.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    oh shit. i knew this dude through djing about 7 years back right. when i first met him he was hoodied and timberland down, god-body and allofdat. anyways, my brother told me duke be rocking them big ass black framed glasses, hair slicked back like the fonz and always got a white chick on his arm. if that ain't a hipster....