MAYNARD FERGUSON - R.I.P.

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
REST IN PEACE.Maynard Ferguson May 4, 1928 - August 23, 2006August 24, 2006Maynard Ferguson passed away yesterday, at the age of 78. Here is the statement released by Maynard's management.LEGENDARY MUSICIAN MAYNARD FERGUSON DIESGrammy Nominated Trumpeter Known for "Gonna Fly Now"Theme To Movie "ROCKY" was 78Ojai, CA (August 24, 2006) - Walter "Maynard" Ferguson, one of the most influential musicians and band leaders in the history of Jazz, passed away August 23rd at 8:00 pm Pacific Time at Community Memorial Hospital in Ventura, California. He was 78 years old. His death was the result of kidney and liver failure brought on by an abdominal infection. Mr. Ferguson's four daughters, Kim, Lisa, Corby, Wilder and other family members were at his side when he passed away after this brief illness. He spoke by phone with his friend and manager Steve Schankman from St. Louis, longtime tour manager Ed Sargent, and friend, and fellow trumpeter Arturo Sandoval.Mr. Ferguson had recently returned home to California from New York after several sold out performances in July at the famed Blue Note Club. During this time, Ferguson and his Big Bop Nouveau band also recorded a new album at Bennett Studios in Englewood, New Jersey.Maynard Ferguson, born May 4th 1928 in Montreal, started his career at the age of 13 when he performed as a featured soloist with the Canadian Broadcasting Company Orchestra. He played with some of the great Big Band Leaders of the 1940's including Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Barnett, Jimmy Dorsey and Stan Kenton. In 1945, at age 17, Ferguson became the leader of his own Big Band. The 78-year old musical phenomenon went on to record more than 60 albums, receiving numerous honors and awards including the GRAMMY?? nomination for "Gonna Fly Now." In 2005, Ferguson was awarded Canada's highest civilian honor, the "Order of Canada" from the Right Honorable Governor General Adrienne Clarkson. In addition to those accolades, Ferguson has been the recipient of DownBeat Magazine's prestigious "DownBeat" Award."The Boss," as Ferguson is known, has been performing for packed houses for decades. His recent DVD release, "Live at The Top," captures one of his most memorable performances, a concert held at the Plaza Hotel in Rochester New York in 1975, with Ferguson performing alongside fellow music pioneers Stan Mark, Ernie Garside and Bruce Johnston. Most recently, Ferguson and Big Bop Nouveau Band had been touring the United States. He was preparing for a Fall Tour beginning mid-September in Tokyo, Japan. He had also been invited to play for the King of Thailand's 80th birthday in January.Mr. Ferguson's body will be cremated in his hometown of Ojai, California. Memorial contributions can be made to the Maynard Ferguson Music Scholarship Fund at University of Missouri - St. Louis, which was established by Steve Schankman at Maynard's 75th birthday celebration. Mr. Schankman and the Ferguson family are planning a memorial concert to take place in St. Louis which will feature many of the band's alumni and friends who Mr. Ferguson performed with during his more than 60-year musical career.Mr. Ferguson's latest, and last, recording will be released later this year as a legacy to the life of Maynard Ferguson.

Comments

• R.I.P.

---interesting sidenote....I read somewhere he was involved in MK Ultra and was one of the first to experiment with what later became known as LSD...not sure where i read it or if its true, but htats what came to mind....

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    RIP

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    RIP, Strain-hard...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    RIP, MF Horn.

• RIP, Mister Mellow

• That's a bummer. I saw him perform back in high school, this would have been in 1994 or 1995. I had no idea what to expect but my friends and I really enjoyed the show.

RIP MF Horn!

• montymonty 420 Posts

a true road warrior if ever there was one

http://www.maynardferguson.com/

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Best track: "summertime" from the 1967 RCI LP (264).

That said, I've never the LP he cut in 68 with Gustav Brom on supraphone. Has anyone?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    homey rolled with it an got funky in the 70s
    spinning wheel etc
    78 is a nice long life gettin paid doin what ya love and havin a nice family and all

he got paid and recognized while he was alive

lucky man

• john_doejohn_doe 237 Posts
    Wow, I was really surprised to read this...I actually met him about two years ago. He did a concert in Cincinnati with a high school jazz ensemble, and I was on security detail for the show. Got to talk to him afterwards and have him sign a copy of one of his records. Seemed to be a pretty nice guy.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    This album has a sweet piece of instrumental funk entitled "Maynard Ferguson Theme", any relation to him?

"Do The Granny" is bowls of funk on this record though.

• DUNE493DUNE493 223 Posts
    R.I.P I love to play PAGLIACCI from the L.P. PRIMAL SCREAM in my DISCO set that record is just fire.

• L-DOPA forever...

Respect due...

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Damn! can't death take vacations...

R.I.P

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    His music and top-loading vhs decks will last forever.

What would he have to do with MK Ultra? Assuming we are talking about the same thing (MAJ-12 etc. )

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Can anyone confirm what I read on a german news board, that he took part in the composition of the Rocky OST track "Gonna Fly Now" ???

Peace
    Hawkeye