MANTECA: Ritmo y Sabor LP

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I've only heard the "Afro Funky" track, which is all right I guess, even though funky is dead, but how is the rest of the album? Does it have more of a latin feel?

Comments

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    one other funk song called "cosas de manteca" which you used to be able to hear on this site on the soulfire dude's mix.

rest of the album is straight up salsa - bass, percusion and a faint hint of an electric piano on a few tracks. think they forgot to mic it and you can just hear it bleeding through the timbal mic. ghetto latin audio engineering.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Can someone with a command of this music please explain to me the use of "manteca" in this context?

Manteca, as I understand, is lard. There must be another meaning, no?

You can hear Gillespie saying "I'll never go back to Georgia" at the head of his "Manteca." What does Manteca have to do with Georgia and what does Georgia have to do with lard?

I am lost. Please send up a flare.

• Can someone with a command of this music please explain to me the use of "manteca" in this context?

You can hear Gillespie saying "I'll never go back to Georgia" at the head of his "Manteca." What does Manteca have to do with Georgia and what does Georgia have to do with lard?

Grease, flavor etc. Doesn't Dizzy have a song called 'I'll Never Go Back To Georgia' that Joe Cuba lifted and turned into 'El Pito'???

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Can someone with a command of this music please explain to me the use of "manteca" in this context?

Manteca is slang for heroin, at least in PR. I don't know if this is the context it is used in this song or by this group, as I haven't heard them.
    What I've heard about "El Pito," which was written by Jimmy Sabater, Joe Cuba's singer for a while, is that while they were touring down south, they were stopped by racist pigs in Georgia. Something happened during a routine traffic stop, the band was given hell by the cops and put in lock up for a few days. I don't think heroin was involved though.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Manteca is slang for heroin, at least in PR. I don't know if this is the context it is used in this song or by this group, as I haven't heard them.
    What I've heard about "El Pito," which was written by Jimmy Sabater, Joe Cuba's singer for a while, is that while they were touring down south, they were stopped by racist pigs in Georgia. Something happened during a routine traffic stop, the band was given hell by the cops and put in lock up for a few days. I don't think heroin was involved though.

Really? Somewhere--maybe Juan Flores' essay on boogaloo--I think I remember Sabater laughing over the fact that he'd never even been to Georgia at that time and saying that they'd cribbed the phrase from Dizzy. I could be completely imagining this, though, and I don't doubt that the other story is also circulating.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

Really? Somewhere--maybe Juan Flores' essay on boogaloo--I think I remember Sabater laughing over the fact that he'd never even been to Georgia at that time and saying that they'd cribbed the phrase from Dizzy. I could be completely imagining this, though, and I don't doubt that the other story is also circulating.

That actually sounds more plausible, I mean, why would Joe Cuba be touring the south? Maybe the story was adopeted too, and it was Dizzy who was thrown in jail not the Sextet. I was told the story by a friend who heard it from his professor at some latin music history class at Columbia.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

That actually sounds more plausible, I mean, why would Joe Cuba be touring the south? Maybe the story was adopeted too, and it was Dizzy who was thrown in jail not the Sextet. I was told the story by a friend who heard it from his professor at some latin music history class at Columbia.

Yeah, I'm not sure that there would have been enough people clamoring to see Joe Cuba in the south at the time to make a tour economically worth his while.

This is from www.salsa.com:

During an interview I conducted with Joe Cuba in October 2000, he said that his 1965 tune called ???El Pito??? contained many elements synonymous with his later Boogalu style. "El Pito" is was based on a Dizzy Gillespie melody "I'll Never Go Back to Georgia." "El Pito" was created to finish an album called We Must Be Doing Something Right. Cuba said in his desperation to complete the album he told the band members to repeatedly play the band???s sign off musical phrase (Asi Se Gozar) and they were instructed to laugh, talk, clap and create a party atmosphere. The song was constructed around this recurring musical theme, interspersed with joyful, raucous party sounds. Cuba later added the sound of whistles. When a DJ at WBLS radio in New York played "El Pito", it was an immediate hit. During live performances, Joe would whip his audiences into a frenzy by throwing whistles out to the crowd so that they could join in the fun.

• ??Llevate esa mierda a salsa punto com!

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts
    Manteca, as I understand, is lard. What does Manteca have to do with Georgia and what does Georgia have to do with lard?

Have you never eaten at Waffle House, son?