job decision

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I just moved to Philly and have 2 job offers to choose from. One is for a pharmaceutical ad agency doing design work. They offered me $41,000 a year and a solid benefits package. But it's pharma work which is ass boring and probably will do nothing for my career.The second offer is for temp freelance at an ad agency that does really cool creative work. They're willing to pay me $200 a day for a couple weeks and then reassess their needs at which point they said they might bring me on full-time, have more freelance, or worst case have nothing at all for me. This is basically the type of agency I've been dreaming about working at, but not knowing how it will unravel makes me nervous. Any words of advice? These are the first job offers of my career so I'm not used to making decisions like this.

Comments

• Take Job #1. If you get hit by a bus, all the creative freedom in the world is not going to pay your hospital bills...

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,632 Posts
    Yes, I agree. That the solid job.

• I would tell offer two about offer one and see what they say...maybe they will raise the ante a bit if they really want you...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    In the inmortal words of Fiona Apple: "GO WITH YOURSELF!"

Judging from your 2 descriptions it's pretty evident you want option 2.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    If you are really confident in your work and have savings to fall back on if things don't work out take the risk. Otherwise go with the safe job. Working a steady job for a year or two with good benefits will not hurt your career.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Hey welcome to Philly.

In my experience any job that you already know is going to be boring will drive you crazy hour after hour. Do you have more resume's, portfolio's out there in the city that you still may get offers from?

i say go with the the dream-type job if for nothing else than a bit of perspective (and enjoyment....and $$!) That's just where i'm at right now. i am really searching for a sip of the juice and i think if that kind of offer came my way i would be all over it.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I think job #2 sounds like the one you need/want. Having a solid corporate gig for a year or two will stand your cv and bank balance in good stead and from an employer's point of view it almost certainly won't hurt your career chances. But if you're a good designer and the agency has the business coming through the doors then that should work out okay. When I hire designers the portfolio rather than the cv is what's important. On the other side of the coin freelance is great so long as you're working.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Would working for a year or two at #1 increase your chances of landing a #2 like position down the line? If so, I'd go with #1. Temp work is

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    you only live once, and you don't know how long that life is gonna be. go with what your heart tells you to. it may not be as stable, or financially rewarding, but if you dont have kids, or a house payment, or a car payment, or at least not all 3, then you need to do what you want while you can.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Take Job #1. If you get hit by a bus, all the creative freedom in the world is not going to pay your hospital bills...

fuck that. sorry 16, but that don't fly. you better go with job #2 b4 you find yourself an alcoholic in three years and the solid health benefit plan is only paying for your therapy and prozac. seriously. don't live in fear and go with your dreams...it's the only responsible thing to do because ultimately, there will be other boring ass jobs that you can get. you've only been there like a month, right? dude, if you already got a boring job offer, you sure as hell will get another...do what feels right--take it from a guy who stayed safe for TOO many years and totally regretted it and now is doing major backpedalling....

GOOD LUCK...