??OG vs Reissue??

El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Question anyone know what the deadwax on Skull Snaps reads or the Lp numbers etc etc? I came up on a copy today and I honestly cant tell whether it is the OG or not any help would be greatly appreciated.....

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    My copy is stamped with:

GSF-S-1011 A
    GSF-S-1011 B

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    thanks alot...so I guess this one I have is an OG

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    nice one!!!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    My copy is stamped with:

GSF-S-1011 A
    GSF-S-1011 B

My copy is too.

Another question. My Skull Snaps (like all OGs that I've seen) has the round "sticker " printed directly on the cover.

However, my mate swears he's seen one with an actual "sticker" on it.

What the dill?

• thanks alot...so I guess this one I have is an OG

I haven't had either the OG or the reissue of Skull Snaps so I can't help you out but most Scorpio reissues/bootlegs seem to have those kinds of label details on the runoff grooves. For instance, this Fred Wesley "Breakin' Bread" reissue that I'm looking at right now has PE-6604 etched in the grooves.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    the earliest pressings don't have the sticker printed on it.
    http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4841863860
    they might have went back and put the stickers on after "its a new day" caught on. And subsequent pressings just had it printed on the front. This is just a guess though

I haven't had either the OG or the reissue of Skull Snaps so I can't help you out but most Scorpio reissues/bootlegs seem to have those kinds of label details on the runoff grooves. For instance, this Fred Wesley "Breakin' Bread" reissue that I'm looking at right now has PE-6604 etched in the grooves.

The OG skull snaps is a machine printed run-out, kinda like a typewriter font. I believe the re-issues are more the handwritten style run out? no?

sheeeesh so now i dont know whether its the oG or not luckily i didnt break the bank paying for it...

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts

The OG skull snaps is a machine printed run-out, kinda like a typewriter font. I believe the re-issues are more the handwritten style run out? no?

My reish does have a handwritten type etching in the runout groove but says: 3972 GSFS 1011 and 3972 GSFS 1011-1.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The time I saw a reissue of this it was BLINDINGLY obvious... like, sit any oldass record you have next to it and it would be really easy to tell the difference.

If the only reissue of this is the Scorp one, it should be an easy call to make. If you've seen/felt any of these reissues you know exactly what they are like.

I've seen 3 reissues

1 with a sticker sleeve
    1 with no gatefold
    1 gatefold, which is glossy

the original is a matte gatefold and the record is thick...

peace.

the original is a matte gatefold and the record is thick...

peace.

ok thats the way this copy is...

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Hey I thought the SKull Snaps OG was impossible to get cuz there were only a few pressings of the LP. Over the years like every other Holy Grail LP it gained popularity.So people had to settle for the re-issue.

Hey I thought the SKull Snaps OG was impossible to get cuz there were only a few pressings of the LP. Over the years like every other Holy Grail LP it gained popularity.So people had to settle for the re-issue.

It's nowhere near as hard to find as the Leo Sayer - Endless Flight LP with the Gangstarr "break"

something funny?

just kidding

Damn Leo Sayer records be poppin' up all over the "A". When I'm out diggin', every damn thrift, flea, Mom & pop record shops has at lease four a five copies for 99 cents.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Damn Leo Sayer records be poppin' up all over the "A".
    This happens everywhere.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    the earliest pressings don't have the sticker printed on it.
    http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4841863860
    they might have went back and put the stickers on after "its a new day" caught on. And subsequent pressings just had it printed on the front. This is just a guess though

but they both seem to sell as OG's for the same amount.

• Sorry for the shameless self promotion, but ten12 is putting out its second 12-inch of the Skull Snaps (the only authorized). We put out Snapped in early 2006 and this month are dropping an inreleased extended mix of It's A New Day edited by Underdog with some re-interpretations by Steinski, Audible Doctor, and Discolobos.