Songs that don't sound like the artist...

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
you know when you hear a song by an artist, but it doesnt really sound like the artist? an example would be like say that puff daddy song that just came out... or like helter skelter or happiness is a warm gun from the beatles. anyhow, i like hearing tracks then being like "ohhh sheit" after i realize who it was. my friend had some wierd 45 bside, i can't even describe the music,sounded new and trippy.... and it turned out to be paul mcartney from 1980.anyhow, maybe i just made this post up, just so i could upload one of my favorite songs, All For Love by Color Me Badd.http://rapidshare.de/files/30043217/Color_Me_Bad_-_All_For_Love.mp3.html Vocally, on some cheezy new jack tip (and i still like it) and nothing new but instrumentally, very melodic, and prince paulish and wouldnt think of it on some boy band track. I know color me badd is but this song works for me.

Comments

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    Ok people might be able to tell if they know the artist but some i find unusal in sound is:

Marvin Gaye "masochistic beauty"
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=89F13C153CD50D65
    James Brown "people wake up and live"
    Destinys Child "show me the way"
    Magnus Uggla "sommartid" (both version!)

/L

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    my friend had some wierd 45 bside, i can't even describe the music,sounded new and trippy.... and it turned out to be paul mcartney from 1980.

Hey man, I think I know which tune you mean....it's called Check my Machine and it's indeed some b-side.
    A friend of mine pulled that out recently while dj-ing too and it blew me away...fits right in a dub set.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    my friend had some wierd 45 bside, i can't even describe the music,sounded new and trippy.... and it turned out to be paul mcartney from 1980.

Hey man, I think I know which tune you mean....it's called Check my Machine and it's indeed some b-side.
    A friend of mine pulled that out recently while dj-ing too and it blew me away...fits right in a dub set.

ya thats the tune!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Speaking of Macca, take a listen to George Harrison's "I Really Love You". I remember buying this in the 6th or 7th grade (might have been in the summer inbetween), taking it home and wondering if the record plant had messed up. The funny thing is that it was pushed as the hit, and yet anyone who heard it on the radio wouldn't know that it was George. I never did any research on it, but it's almost as if his love for Monty Python was in play on this one. It's a doo-wop song with multi-layered vocals.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2jg7tn

• "hungry heart" - bruce springsteen. its the boss sans the gruff voice that confuses me. did he OD on chloraseptic that day?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Bob Dylan's Nashville Skyline actually has him attempting to sing. Girl from the North Country is especially good with Johnny Cash's low growling and Bob's strangulated yelps. Love it.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Bob Dylan's Nashville Skyline actually has him attempting to sing. Girl from the North Country is especially good with Johnny Cash's low growling and Bob's strangulated yelps. Love it.

Yeah, I was going to say lay lady lay, because whenever I play it someone always asks who it is. Seems like a dumb question to me because I have always associated the song with dylan but his voice does sound really different on that song.

• you know when you hear a song by an artist, but it doesnt really sound like the artist?

...or when you hear the song by an artist and it really does sound like the artist but it really doesn't sound like it should be the artist. always had this one on my mind for years just waiting to post on a thread titled like this one.

i think it's more of a young face wearing an elder air voice
    perhaps it's just my imagination

...so insignificant but i share my thought (not the songs)