SERATO POST 567858687678

2»

Comments

• NO DOUB' SON! I JUST SIT BACK AND PRESS A BUTTON! I JUST STARTED DEEJAYING LAST YEAR (I STILL DON'T HAVE A SILLY NAME THOUGH)! I'M DOING THE PRIVATE PARTY FOR JESUS CHRIST'S RETURN NEXT WEEK IN HOLYWOOD THEN FLYING TO THE MOON TO DJ THE OLSEN TWINS BIRTHDAY. I'M GETTING 10,000 FOR 30 MINUTES!

YALL SOME FAGS WORRYING ABOUT "RECORDS", "MUSIC", AND ALLATHAT! JUST CUT ME MY CHECK, GIMME MY 15 MINUTES AND I'M GOOD.

YO MORSE...WHATS THAT ONE JOINT YOU PLAYED WHERE DUDE IS LIKE DELIVERING NEWSPAPERS AND HE'S TALKING ABOUT DOING DIDDY? THATS TOTALLY GAY DUDE...BUT IT MADE ALL MY HOMEGIRLS FROM MY LOCAL TANNING SALON SHAKE THEIR FLAT ASSES IN THE VIP OXYGEN TENT WE HAD AT THE SONY PLAY STATION/SEX IN THE CITY/SNAKES ON PLANE MOVIE/DVD RELEASE PARTY.

funny.

but most of the dudes who are getting big money for djing are real djs with serious skills and experience (celebrity djs aside)...and none of these dudes are making a living off of playing "exclusives." just cause the bottle service crowd is corny/fake/whatever, doesnt mean the djs who play their parties are in the same boat.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    The downside:

All LAZY[/b] DJs end up playing the exact same songs they all downloaded from message boards and internets.

(fixed your post)

seriously, it ain't no thang cos, you know it just raises things up a level. The people doing the real thing step up, make remixes, form relationships (directly) with artists/labels for new shit, dig around (on the interweb or traditionally) for the unexpected jams.

which is cool with me. I mean, I am not a dj on the level of you or alot of people on this board. I take some (mediocre) paying gigs around boston, but for the most part I just collect and have a day job. Most of my gigs I do cause I want to (the soul/funk ones), but some of them I do cause the pocket money is nice. For those, it doesn't really matter that I am doing the same shit as a bunch of djs in New York or anyplace else. Sure, I know I won't blow up doing this shit, but everyone has a good time, gets drunk & parties...so who cares?

-pj

• WOW - when are Young Phonics and Morse Code takin' their show on the road?

WE'RE DOING CLUB SEXEUAL DESIRE LEOPARD PRINT SINFULL AS OUR FIRST TOUR NIGHT IN LOS CULEBRAS DE SUERTE EN TU OJO IN ORANGE COUNTY TONIGHT.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    back w/ a vengeance on his new macbook

• EN TU OJO

that sounds dirty.

• back w/ a vengeance on his new macbook

NOT EVEN DUDE. IT'S STILL IN THE BOX AT MY LUXURY DOWNTOWN LOFT. I'VE BEEN SO BUSY JET-SETTING, DOING BLOW, AND HANGIN' OUT WITH JASON LEE THAT I HAVEN'T EVEN HAD TIME TO SET IT UP.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    back w/ a vengeance on his new macbook

NOT EVEN DUDE. IT'S STILL IN THE BOX AT MY LUXURY DOWNTOWN LOFT. I'VE BEEN SO BUSY JET-SETTING, DOING BLOW, AND HANGIN' OUT WITH JASON LEE THAT I HAVEN'T EVEN HAD TIME TO SET IT UP.

GOOD THING WE HAD THESE GLAMOUR SHOTS TAKEN BEFORE THE TOUR!

I JUST GOT BACK FROM GETTIN MY LAPTOP CASE CUSTOMIZED WITH FUSCIA RHINESTONES!

SEE YOU IN MIAMI!

• The downside:

All DJs end up playing the exact same songs they all downloaded from message boards and internets.

Fuck that I am going RECORD SHOPPING FOR NEW SHIT this weekend.

Holler if you agree with me?

this is exactly why I have only swapped files with 2 people so far.

just got back from picking up some new pieces:

Jimmy Bo Horn - Spank being the highlight

and will Roctakon open for them?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

THAT's what I'm talkin' bout!

Aaarghhh! I bought the white label that TTLab was selling.

I have to say though that this is going to be a frustrating song for the b-boys. It takes a looooong time for that break to kick in. I was getting pretty impatient myself.

That said, I should probably just get an extra copy so I can cut straight to the chase. Plus, how can I turn down that artwork? You know I stay down for the brown, hoLmes. Plaese to post order details.

Herm

• per0per0 153 Posts
    Not sure if Serato will replace buying wax, as I'm still doing it, but in much less volume. But it is making me much wiser to dropping 50 bucks on something. But the funny thing is, that I still play alll the shit I used to on vinyl, but I just recorded it. My good tracks are still my good tracks, I can just fuck with them now.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    THIS POST ISN'T ABOUT SERATO VS BUYING VINYL.

I still buy vinyl. The first month I had Serato, I spent more money on vinyl than I did in the 6 months leading up to it. With all the money that I saved by not having to spend on Rihanna 12"s I minted up on all my Impressions records. It's still like that. And I've still bought new vinyl as well.

But the post IS about how Serato has leveled the playing field a little bit. As a DJ who's been doing his thing for 15 years or so, compared to a DJ who has been doing it for 1.5 years, it's a lot easier for them to come up today with this tool than it was for us coming up. Not that it's a bad thing - it's not. However it really does mean that all us dudes have to work extra hard to make themselves stand out. Skill + talent + creativity + drive + focus = hot shit, dig me?

But also it's like with Serato and with everyone being a DJ it's like shit is also dumb homogeneous these days. Everybody plays the same damn thing. All the same music that's downloaded from blogs or messageboards*[/b] become the joints. It's like where's the elbow grease when it comes to breaking new records? That's what I am used to, making records and owning them. Plus the creativity is kind of lacking. There's a joke that I used to say over on Hollerboard which was that everybody on that messageboard made the same mix cd. The ingredients are:

A "mash up" with Missy Elliott
    A house song
    Some white shit.
    A train wreck
    M.I.A. (or this year it's Spank Rock)
    Some more white.
    A southern rap record.
    Some glitchy shit made from someone in Canada.

Etc...

Whatever the formula is this year, it's the same formula. But whatever, it's like the same shit over and over. Not hating but point out the fact that with the accessability and the technology combined shit can and has become homogenous.

I guess this is just a rant.

*[/b] Also this is another discussion. What about blogs and messageboards "making songs" the way that radio and video used to. Have we seen that yet? Did we see that with M.I.A. a few years ago?

Okay I'm going to Kiehl's and will be back in a few. Want to stop by a record store.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i don't know about you, but some of the HOTTEST shit i play out, i got off soulstrut. Some incredible talent on here, but I'll leave it nameless as to not play favorites. i love having a playlist full of me and my peers' creativity. too awesome. customization is out of control.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    DJing is just no challenge anymore.
    I'm going to start wearing a blindfold and get the crowd to come up and randomly load songs on my Serato.
    Makes for an interesting evening.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    See but to me, a lot of what separates the newjacks from dudes that have been having a ton of records is all the heat cats with records are holding and can rip. I can pretty much tell most of the time by hearing their set whether or not a dude actually has records and a more extensive knowledge, or just downloads shit online. Serato alone does not make a good DJ, plain and simple.

• There's a joke that I used to say over on Hollerboard which was that everybody on that messageboard made the same mix cd. Whatever the formula is this year, it's the same formula. But whatever, it's like the same shit over and over. Not hating but point out the fact that with the accessability and the technology combined shit can and has become homogenous.

major co-sign. shit like this was a big reason I got bored in LA and moved out here. I called it 'creative-incest'. Basically the problem being that no one was afraid to constructively criticize because no one wanted to be 'the bad guy' and risk being ostracized. I mean, fools would put out a mediocre record at best, and the scene would be like 'oooooh shhhh!! this is the hot shit' just because they were down with the DJ or the MC or whatever. The whole "it's who you know, not what you do" attitude has really dumbed down the game on a lot of levels.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    One day people will look back at me and say "That cat was the realest motherfucker in the game."

I'm going to quit DJing and find something else.

• See but to me, a lot of what separates the newjacks from dudes that have been having a ton of records is all the heat cats with records are holding and can rip. I can pretty much tell most of the time by hearing their set whether or not a dude actually has records and a more extensive knowledge, or just downloads shit online. Serato alone does not make a good DJ, plain and simple.

I think it balances it allllll out. Regardless of how long someone has been deejaying if that person doesn't have some on-point tastes, good judgement of what to play, and some creativity he'll still be just a mediocre ass deejay playing the same set, but you take someone who knows what the fuck he's doing it'll make a good deejay amazing.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    *[/b] Also this is another discussion. What about blogs and messageboards "making songs" the way that radio and video used to. Have we seen that yet? Did we see that with M.I.A. a few years ago?

I don't believe we have. I think the blog/message board communities still only account for a miniscule fraction of real world music listeners.

• *[/b] Also this is another discussion. What about blogs and messageboards "making songs" the way that radio and video used to. Have we seen that yet? Did we see that with M.I.A. a few years ago?

I don't believe we have. I think the blog/message board communities still only account for a miniscule fraction of real world music listeners.

YOU MEAN PEOPLE IN THE REAL WORLD ARENT GOING BACK TO BUMPING RAP CASSETTES!?!?!?!??!?

I KEED!

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    YOU MEAN PEOPLE IN THE REAL WORLD ARENT GOING BACK TO BUMPING RAP CASSETTES!?!?!?!??!?

Lol @ "going back."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Lol @ "going back."

Yeah, dog. I mean, going back? I never stopped bumping rap cassettes.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Herm,

thanks for buying the white label. That one will stay special voz it got the original vocals. The new isues w/ Mike's cover has newly recorded vocals by Sara Bourgois (but it's hard to tell the difference) and a instro beat edit.

We will have stock in about 4 weeks. TTL and DG wil the best online sources sources in the US.

Olski

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Herm,

thanks for buying the white label. That one will stay special voz it got the original vocals. The new isues w/ Mike's cover has newly recorded vocals by Sara Bourgois (but it's hard to tell the difference) and a instro beat edit.

We will have stock in about 4 weeks. TTL and DG wil the best online sources sources in the US.

Olski

Great! I'll keep an eye out for it!

Herm