I need somewhere to go for dinner (LA-related)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
So yo - it's my b-day today and my wife wants to take me out to out somewhere tomorrow (I have too much work to do today, plus my mother-in-law's in town). Even though I know a few diff restaurants that would be fine to eat at, I'd like to try some place new. The caveats are:1) Has to be friendly towards an 18 month old. This is a must.2) I don't want it to be a bank-breaking type spot (which most 18 mo. friendly places tend not to be anyways). I just want some good food, preferably at some place on the Westside around Santa Monica, Century City, or Culver City. Southland Strutters - get at me.

Comments

• Happy Birthday O..
    I think Fritto Misto would be an excellent choice for you. Homespun italian food on the westside with a family flavor. Definately kid friendly but nice enough to enjoy a quality bottle of wine and handmade pasta.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Some ideas:

Alejos - really good Italian food - Lots of Garlic... And i mean ALOT. Good family style though and huge portions... There are a few around the westside.

Gaby's - Excellent mediterranean food, the hummous is off the hook. There is one down b the beach on Washington as well as one on Venic east of the 405. Youc an sit outside at both of them.

Versaille - Really good Cuban food, but its always packed at every location.

• I've always heard great things about Crustecean in Santa Monica.

Supposed to be the best seafood in all of LA.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Torafuku on Pico, next to Westside Pavilion is a nice Japanese restaurant.

• Happy birthday Oliver.Not a dinner spot,but have you had a chicken basket at the Brentwood Country Mart?Some of the best French Fries I've ever had too.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Versaille - Really good Cuban food, but its always packed at every location.

• Versaille - awful Cuban food, and its always packed at every location.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    perhaps somewhere fun like korean bbq, check k-town, calling shig....

I had a good time at soot bull jeep. You will definitely have to do a load of laundry post meal because you'll reek of garlic charcoal meat. YAM YAM

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Versaille - awful Cuban food, and its always packed at every location.

that place is super dope. I also really like bossa nova, and its not that expensive either.

Happy B-day!

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Happy Birthday O..
    I think Fritto Misto would be an excellent choice for you. Homespun italian food on the westside with a family flavor. Definately kid friendly but nice enough to enjoy a quality bottle of wine and handmade pasta.

I think for what you are looking for - I'd go with Thes' idea.

Here's a Zagat review:

???Huge portions??? of ???build-your-own pastas???, a ???surprisingly good wine selection??? and ???responsive service??? are just a few reasons why ???in a low-carb universe???, ???locals??? ???come back??? to these ???wonderful neighborhood Italian??? joints in Santa Monica and Hermosa Beach; sure, the decor is ???bare-bones??? and the place is ???always crowded???, but ???you???re guaranteed??? ???high-end food at midrange prices??? and a ???BYO option???, so ???what???s not to like????

• happy late bday. hmmm, yeah, i dont go west of fairfax too often, but i still say san peeeeeeeedro ports of call is a good time. + its outdoors. dont know your time frame though. i would suggest against korean bbq or teppan type joints just cuz they cook it right in front of you and ive burnt myself enough times to know it aint 18 mo old friendly.

my homegirl just designed a restaurant near the manhattan beach pier. its a slightly upscale greek place called petros.

what's that hawaiian chain called? the loft i think? theyre decent hawaiian denny's style fare. all over the westside. islands is always a good time. i mean, fuck the westside is basically chains, right?