BLACK FAIRY La Mont Zeno Theatre LP on Taifa

shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Come on Strutters the price for this is ? I just need a little info about this record. Ya it's a private press out of Chicago I believe...

Comments

• Come on Strutters the price for this is ? I just need a little info about this record. Ya it's a private press out of Chicago I believe...

I'll give you $50 for it.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I wish I had it...I would. Hell I'm looking for a copy...It + rare+ Chicago private press=

• A certain Strutter just sold a copy for $400+ on ebay if that helps...

Ya, I know.. So who's Next? $400...Yup

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    anywhere from 200-400$ seems right.

Living in Chicago, you can turn these up, as there was 2 different pressings of it, and for the amount of times I've seen it, I'd assume there was at least 5000 copies of it pressed.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    he got $400 for it and the condition was around VG , VG- ... the clip sounded like a nicely used record.

the music was hot as shit though.

True....

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    From what I've heard in the marketplace, there are two relevant points concerning this record: 1) It's price depends on who's selling it, and 2) someone's always selling it. Folks do not seem to hang onto this one. From what I've heard through the speakers, I kinda understand. This is the kind of record that gets referred to as a document.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    From what I've heard in the marketplace, there are two relevant points concerning this record: 1) It's price depends on who's selling it, and 2) someone's always selling it. Folks do not seem to hang onto this one. From what I've heard through the speakers, I kinda understand. This is the kind of record that gets referred to as a document.

True, this isn't really a record you can play all the way through with satisfaction. Its great if you like kiddie theater though!

• I remember a time when you couldn't give this thing away.
    I think it was Gilles Peterson that changed that.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Living in Chicago, you can turn these up.

I pulled one at an El Paso Goodwill... ...and traded it away for next to nothing because I wasn't at all into it and just couldn't imagine that anyone would get excited about it on ebay. There're maybe 2 funky 2-4 bar intros (which would make nice, yet deceptive soundclips) but beyond that there isn't a single song on there you would want to listen to all the way through. Noisy-play-braeks-with-private-press-blackman-soul-lookin-cover-raer.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I've heard that that record is a turd from a number of people. cool cover though...

• What is up with the hype surrounding this LP. Mind melting, really????

I've tried to like it... and this from a guy who likes some frankly really bad underground american jazz music.

Somebody break it down please....

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    how much you enjoy it is relative to how much you had to pay for it.

I bought a vg- copy for 10 bucks, listened to it maybe twice & shelved it well pleased.

from the liner notes it mentions the play was performed in Detroit too, which explains why copies turn up occasionally here.

---

• how much you enjoy it is relative to how much you had to pay for it.

do the price tags stay on when they enter the collection?

• chrischris 287 Posts

takin' it to joliet...

This lp keeps going for 400 plus and then some. To each is on.

Hey for 10 bucks you shelved it, Hell sale it to me if you don't want it.

• luckily jazzman did a 45 release of the most solid song on the record. the soundrack on a whole is a pretty good listen though. definitely something for soundtrack heads, i'd rate it 4/5

two pressings of it as well - one color cover, one b&w. 250-400 seems to be the market on this one. gilles peterson started playing it around 2 years ago, since then awareness has heightened and so has the price.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    how much you enjoy it is relative to how much you had to pay for it.

do the price tags stay on when they enter the collection?

that's reynaldo

I'm just saying that I would be kinda bummed if I paid 400 bucks for it.

one thing that strikes me as kinda odd is the apparent contradiction between a black self-identification as 'African'/ heralding the achievements of Egypt etc( "Black Land of the Nile") & then going right into 'Go Down Moses' which flips the script as it were.

---

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i found it sealed in upstate ny at a flea for a buck 3 years ago

there are some haunting and beautiful vocal harmonies on this lp

imho its not a funk record in the typical sense

rather an amazing example of a socially conscious Community project/ DIY Black Culture in the 70s