Essential Grover Washington, Jr. thread

mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Black FrostParadise & Tell Me About It NowKnucklehead & Hydrado i need any others by him?Loran's Dance & Marcas Beach maybe?

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Yo I like some of this album (and I have no shame)

Sausalito = summer

I think it's time to check this one out again

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

soul box vol. 1 for the tune "masterpiece", which is a jam.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Can't say that I'm a huge Grover Washington, Jr. fan, but that first album he did, Inner City Blues, is funky as all hell considering that it's on a CTI subsidiary and recorded by a sax player who later became synonymous with smooth jazz. But on this one early album, damn if it didn't sound like something Prestige would have put out!!

"And if I'm lyin', I'm dyin'!"[/b]

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

"Hi, my name is Bob James and I'm wondering why Grover gets all the Soulstrut love while the mere mention of my classic breaks gets the gasface. Fuck you guys. And hey Grover -

One.

And Two."

• "Hi, my name is Bob James and I'm wondering why Grover gets all the Soulstrut love while the mere mention of my classic breaks gets the gasface. Fuck you guys. And hey Grover -

One.

And Two."

That was hilarious.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts

"Hi, my name is Bob James and I'm wondering why Grover gets all the Soulstrut love while the mere mention of my classic breaks gets the gasface. Fuck you guys. And hey Grover -

One.

And Two."

Yeah for real, especially seeing as Bob James arranged and conducted a few of grovers albums, ie. mister magic and feels so good.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    He did one with Kenny Burrell on guitar which was nice.

I do like some of the later stuff like Winelight but Ralph McDonald was starting to make it sound Muzaky. Necessary for Marcus Miller's bass though. He also turns in a tune called "The Best Is Yet To Come" (album of same name) with a great vocal from Patti Labelle on it.

People are hatting massively on these sets but look at the credits for the above set for example:

Richard Alderson Engineer, Mixing
    Carla Benson Vocals (bckgr)
    Evette Benton Vocals (bckgr)
    Cynthia Biggs Arranger
    Kendall Brown Engineer, Mixing
    Billy Childs Synthesizer, Piano
    Barry Craig Assistant Engineer
    Bill Eaton Arranger
    Jon Faddis Horn
    Victor Feldman Percussion
    Alex Foster Horn
    Eric Gale Guitar
    Leonard "Doc" Gibbs Percussion
    Mona Goldman-Yoskin Flute
    Paul Griffin Synthesizer
    Yogi Horton Drums
    Pete Humphreys Engineer, Mixing
    Kevin Johnson Percussion
    Patti LaBelle Vocals, Vocals (bckgr)
    Abraham Laboriel Bass
    James K. Lloyd Piano, Keyboards
    Ralph MacDonald Percussion, Bells, Producer, Shaker, Mixing
    Scott MacMinn Assistant Engineer
    Harvey Mason, Sr. Drums
    Bobby McFerrin Vocals, Vocals (bckgr)
    Vladimir Meller Mastering
    Marcus Miller Bass
    Cedric A. Napoleon Bass
    Lee Ritenour Guitar
    Dennis Sands Engineer
    Nathan Sassover Producer
    Teddi Schlossman Fender Rhodes
    Paul Silverthorne Production Coordination
    James Herb Smith Guitar
    Richard Lee Steacker Guitar
    Richard Tee Clavinet, Fender Rhodes
    Dexter Wansel Synthesizer, Arranger, Producer
    Darryl Washington Drums

The cats are grooving, even if the production has sucked the life out of it. I grew up with a bin-liner full of tapes of Grover, Sanborn, Weather report, and basically anthing with the NY/LA session dudes blowing on it as this was all there was in the "Jazz" section other than Louis Armstrong and some meandering Miles stuff like "ESP" which I still don't feel to this day.

Clown and mastercard now accepted.

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    Don't forget his effort on Brotherly Love's "whole lotta you in me"

/L

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Yo I like some of this album (and I have no shame)

Sausalito = summer

Co-sign

Dr.Gibbs the percussionist for this live joint is now the band leader on the Emerial Legasse show.

• Can't say that I'm a huge Grover Washington, Jr. fan, but that first album he did, Inner City Blues, is funky as all hell considering that it's on a CTI subsidiary and recorded by a sax player who later became synonymous with smooth jazz. But on this one early album, damn if it didn't sound like something Prestige would have put out!!

Eric Gale's guitar makes Inner City Blues listenable.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    He did one with Kenny Burrell on guitar which was nice.

I watched this last night. It's from 1985, but don't let that deter you. There are some excellent performances on there! Especially Grover and Kenny doing Summertime with Grover on clarinet. Highly recommended! I see it for $5 all the time.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Can't say that I'm a huge Grover Washington, Jr. fan, but that first album he did, Inner City Blues, is funky as all hell considering that it's on a CTI subsidiary and recorded by a sax player who later became synonymous with smooth jazz. But on this one early album, damn if it didn't sound like something Prestige would have put out!!

Eric Gale's guitar makes Inner City Blues listenable.

I wouldn't single out any one instrumentalist, 'cause everybody was on top of their game at that session. However, Eric's clean solo on the title track does steal the show - he had the groove in his back pocket that day.

• I actually have what might be his first LP. It's a live album by an organ combo called the Mark 3 Trio, recorded live at a ski lodge. Pretty cool stuff, with a picture of young Grover on the cover, wearing a blazer with the Mk3 logo.