Elmers Glue Record Cleaning (Dirty-Ass 45 Related)

HairyBelafonteHairyBelafonte 1,202 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Yo-I remeber something on here awhile back about cleaning really messed up 45s w/ elmers glue? Is it just that easy, need to dilute it. Plaese to drop some enlightenment upon me. Thread? Problems?

Comments

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Yo-

I remeber something on here awhile back about cleaning really messed up 45s w/ elmers glue? Is it just that easy, need to dilute it. Plaese to drop some enlightenment upon me. Thread? Problems?

Hi

I never used this method, but a friend of mine uses and it works fine for him.
    I'd recommend you trying it on a record you don't care, just in case it doesn't work very well, and till you can master the method.
    You have to use lots of glue to make a thick layer; this way it's easy to remove it.
    Be careful to not apply any glue to the label.
    It seems that this method is not too complicated to do, but you need to be very careful when you're removing the glue to not leave any residue on the grooves.
    He said to me he tries to remove the whole thing as an one piece; if it breaks there's a chance of it leaving some residues.
    Anyway, if some residue is left you can try to remove it playing the record at 45 RPMs and using more weight on the arm/needle, and then washing the record.

Good luck!

Peace

• cheers, thanks mang

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    I've done this successfully over a dozen times. Pretty damn safe, once dried it usually comes off in one piece and any remnents can by carefully scraped off.
    Use white Elmers glue, nothing else. Never tried wood glue, but I think you might have an issue becuase of bonding.
    The Elmers doesn't permenently bond to the vinyl, only the dirt particles.

It's a pretty significant difference in sound once you peel off the glue layer.
    I would think this is just as effective as any $$$ vinyl cleaner.

Like previously mentioned, apply a liberal amount of glue to cover the groove surface avoiding the label, allow to thoroughly dry and peel off from the edge slowly to keep in one piece.
    Kind of time intensive, but has really substantial results.

• i haven't tried this method yet either, but seems to make perfect sense... don't forget that you also wanna leave a "tongue" somewhere on the record... a spot where a nice portion of the glue is leaning off the record so that you have a good place to start peeling from.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    oh, and I would avoid trying this on styrene. But with vinyl it's safe.

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    FYI...dry elmers glue will dissolve in water...so if you leave residue, it should clean up pretty easy with warm water. Back in my trading days, I used to put a coat of elmers glue over the stamps on my packages (then have my trade partner send them back with the next trade). The postmark would be on the layer of glue and when you threw those stamps in some warm water...well, guess what came off...

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Back in my trading days, I used to put a coat of elmers glue over the stamps on my packages (then have my trade partner send them back with the next trade). The postmark would be on the layer of glue and when you threw those stamps in some warm water...well, guess what came off...

Damn. Pretty genius.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    The postmark would be on the layer of glue and when you threw those stamps in some warm water...well, guess what came off...

your decency?

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I've done this successfully over a dozen times. Pretty damn safe, once dried it usually comes off in one piece and any remnents can by carefully scraped off.
    Use white Elmers glue, nothing else. Never tried wood glue, but I think you might have an issue becuase of bonding.
    The Elmers doesn't permenently bond to the vinyl, only the dirt particles.

It's a pretty significant difference in sound once you peel off the glue layer.
    I would think this is just as effective as any $$$ vinyl cleaner.

Like previously mentioned, apply a liberal amount of glue to cover the groove surface avoiding the label, allow to thoroughly dry and peel off from the edge slowly to keep in one piece.
    Kind of time intensive, but has really substantial results.
    How long does it usually take for the glue to dry?

I bought some white glue last night, and I think I put too much on because the shit still isn't dry.

Some of it dried and I was able to peal it off fine, but there is still lots of wet glue.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    i usually wait about 5-6 hours but like e**** said -- don't start peeling it until all the glue is completely dry.

it really does get that 'invisible' surface dust out though. you'll feel if it works.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    ive mentioned this before but this trick goes back way before most of us were born. thing is is that it fucks up your records. dont do it more than once. all the old timers told me i was stupid for doing that to my records...

i havent done it since.

though the fun is playing the glue on the TT. put it on an instrumental and its quite cool...

have fun...

• what the hell are you talkin about strawberry?

ive played records w/ windex/rubbing alcohol/water on 'em, but it didnt seem to do much to the sound if thats what you mean.

it begins to remove layers off the vinyl. you actually lose sound quality every time you do this. i was told this by manship and others.

...also, you fucking hairynutsack, were talking about elmers glue. not windex...

...strawberry? you coulda done better than that chump.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    though the fun is playing the glue on the TT. put it on an instrumental and its quite cool...

i started the process with a shitty Rolling Stones 45 last night, i'm pretty excited about playing the glue too!

i started the process with a shitty Rolling Stones 45 last night, i'm pretty excited about playing the glue too!

i tried it on the faith 45 on brown bag. those open drums sound crazy on glue vinyl.

• ...also, you fucking hairynutsack, were talking about elmers glue. not windex...

...strawberry? you coulda done better than that chump.

my my, such hostility you brown toof muthafukah, i thought that camping trip was sposed to calm you down

• cupcake?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    bread?

or 10cc

• the glue "record" plays backwards, of course.

usually takes mine 12 hours or so to dry. probably depends on temperature, humidity, barometric pressure.

i would take anything john manship says about record cleaning with a grain of salt.

m

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    test Stones record came out great, although I tore the glue pulling it off so I can't listen to it. I really don't see how this could damage the vinyl in any way, although I also don't see why you'd ever need to do it to a given record more than once. That said I'm not about to cover any multi-hundred dollar 45 in glue.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    45 in glue.

location anyone ?????????

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    you dudes should just get the KAB or Nitty Gritty record cleaner. Takes about 3 minutes to get a 45 clean and proper. Fuckall that glue shit.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    you dudes should just get the KAB or Nitty Gritty record cleaner. Takes about 3 minutes to get a 45 clean and proper. Fuckall that glue shit.

There wouldnt have been without you dude.

I also purchased an ultrasonic cleaner recently. Its kinda tedious to clean records on it, but it works like magic.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

There wouldnt have been without you dude.

I also purchased an ultrasonic cleaner recently. Its kinda tedious to clean records on it, but it works like magic.

Yo, Mr. Meaty

I've never tried an ultrasonic cleaner - does it work on 12" records or just on 45"

Peace

h

The one I have only works for 45s, but if you buy one with a bigger tub, you can do LPs. It takes a long time to clean one record, but it gets deep into the grooves and probobly does a more thorough job if you take your time with it.