ian carr appreciation

ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
edited February 2016 in Music Talk
Belladonna is my shit, and to a similar degree all the early 70s Vertigo LPs... Elastic rock, Solar plexus

We'll talk about it laterHe starts to drop off around Labyrinth, but I can see how that stuff would appeal to other heads. His 60s releases are also ace. Ian Carr & Don Rendell. Not that those will ever actually make it into my collection (not a baller related).

What's everybody's faves?

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Belladonna is my fave. Roots has one of my favorite breaks evar.
    I need to get Solar Plexus.
    I also will never own that Rendell/Carr LP in my lifetime.

Yup, Ian Carr gets love over here.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Roots is my ABSOLUTE SCHITT. I celebrate Ian Carr and Nucelus' entire catalog. Don't sleep on those late 70's Ian Carr joints either!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Ian Carr & Don Rendell
    Ian Carr & Don Rendell
    Ian Carr & Don Rendell
    Ian Carr & Don Rendell
    Ian Carr & Don Rendell
    Ian Carr & Don Rendell

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Roots has one of my favorite breaks evar.

RAER

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts

Nice! Is that a Steve Parks bassline I detect? That's some bugged out shit man. Stony.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Nice! Is that a Steve Parks bassline I detect? That's some bugged out shit man. Stony.

yes some steve parks. some old shit. but those drums are ian carr roots.

Jesus.

I need to step up my prod. game.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Dreskieboogie found the Labyrinth LP when he visited me in Stuttgart. I have NEVER seen a copy ever since. I really wonder why his records are so darn hard to find while every shop I go to has multiple copies of Doldinger's Passport. Ian Carr was one of the best Jazz Rock artists and most of his records are keepers. Was Ian Carr unknown back in the 70s? Did noone buy his records? Is it the label? I need to find Ian Carr records!!!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Yep, cosign on Belladonna, Roots of course, and the Elastic Rock. Dunno about Labyrinth though, haven't heard it. Even the "Best of Nucleus" Compilation from the 70's is one to keep. Ian Carr is sick. I think he was a guitar prof in Bremen, Germany later on. Prolly he never had proper distro for his stuff. Still, his stuff is heat!

• haven't had the pleasure of coming up on his really prime-era stuff (little dude-related), but his book on Miles Davis is pretty good!

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Ya, I found out about Ian Carr & Neil Ardley from buying one of his pieces on E bay from Soulstrut.

Wanting that ROOT's Lp like crazy who's selling a copy soon?

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NUCLEUS-Direct-Hits-...1QQcmdZViewItem
    the nucleus "direct hits" best of... record has the track roots from "roots" and is cheaper and easier to find.
    roots is so dope!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Belladonna is my shit

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    yes his later stuff is dope and all, but it's not even remotely holding a candle to "Shades of Blue". That shit is BANANAS.

Belladonna is my shit

IAN CARR'S NUCLEUS - SNAKEHIPS ETCETERA LP... Someone tell what this album sounds like. Seen it a few times on e bay but never took a chance on buying it.

IAN CARR'S NUCLEUS - SNAKEHIPS ETCETERA LP... Someone tell what this album sounds like. Seen it a few times on e bay but never took a chance on buying it.
    Why won't you just gamble and put your bids in?

The damn lp looks to disco. I hate disco...unless it's italo or french.

• Hey Asch,
    Have you heard his album Alley Cat on Vertigo Records? The album is pretty dope and doesn't come around that often.
    amir

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    That shit is BANANAS.

i'd have to agree. it's on some grailiest of the grails status for me.

• Hey Asch,
    Have you heard his album Alley Cat on Vertigo Records? The album is pretty dope and doesn't come around that often.
    amir

Naw I must have missed it... records are like that tho, that's the cool shit, you're always finding some session that flew under your radar.
    I'll keep an eye out.

• Dreskieboogie found the Labyrinth LP when he visited me in Stuttgart. I have NEVER seen a copy ever since. I really wonder why his records are so darn hard to find while every shop I go to has multiple copies of Doldinger's Passport. Ian Carr was one of the best Jazz Rock artists and most of his records are keepers. Was Ian Carr unknown back in the 70s? Did noone buy his records? Is it the label? I need to find Ian Carr records!!!

Ian carr was pretty popular for a vertigo artist in the early 70s, but the only LP of his I see everywhere is snakehips. Still, you'd think you'd see them sometimes in Germany??

The doldinger with the clown face on the cover is EVERY WHERE. No "motherhood" tho....

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Ian carr was pretty popular for a vertigo artist in the early 70s, but the only LP of his I see everywhere is snakehips. Still, you'd think you'd see them sometimes in Germany??

Well... no US releases on anything pre-Snakehips, correct? That alone would make the number of copies available far more limited

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

Quote:

RAER

that's dope.

• back in the 90s i was trying to get my hands on some jazz recordings and somehow ended up in touch with this old british fellow who had just discovered computers. he was really cool about shit and offered to make me minidisc recordings (this was wayyy before mp3 type schitz) of all his records and did for quite a few of them ... anyway he had shades of blue and some other records like that. i didnt even stress him for it because i honestly didnt know they were THAT rare and i had heard them and stuff but if i had to do it all over again i'd have made an offer. he did not know what his records were worth by any stretch.

but yeah it's a good record even though i get bored with 'british modal' quick fast. i'm just not that classy and/or intelligent.