Another Serato Question...

asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
So I'm seriously considering spending the dough for this, not because I play out much anymore, but because I would love to clear space in my home and put most of my vinyl in storage. So how good/bad is Serato for just general listening to your music? Is it easy to queue up a whole side of a record, or even a whole album and just let it play? Do you notice sound quality issues? Or is it too big a hassle and you end up playing your vinyl anyway? The idea of reducing my clutter and hooking Serato up to the G5 which is next to my decks anyway is sounding really nice to me, but if it's really only good as a performance tool then I'll save the $550. Thanks for the help...

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    So I'm seriously considering spending the dough for this, not because I play out much anymore, but because I would love to clear space in my home and put most of my vinyl in storage. So how good/bad is Serato for just general listening to your music? Is it easy to queue up a whole side of a record, or even a whole album and just let it play? Do you notice sound quality issues? Or is it too big a hassle and you end up playing your vinyl anyway? The idea of reducing my clutter and hooking Serato up to the G5 which is next to my decks anyway is sounding really nice to me, but if it's really only good as a performance tool then I'll save the $550. Thanks for the help...

I don't know about anyone else on here, but I still play regular records despite having Serato. You could listen to a whole album with it, but for me, I'd rather just play the real thing.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    yeah, if you're not playing out, it aint really a worthwhile venture.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    yeah, if you're not playing out, it aint really a worthwhile venture.

basically

• it was worth it to me, and I barely play out.

then again, I already had a laptop ready.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    But do you sit at home and listen to albums with it? I can see if you DJ out every now and then, even a likkle bit, it would make sense, but getting it just to play your records seems like a waste of money to me. Why not just use this?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    it was worth it to me, and I barely play out.

Ditto.

• werd.

If the issue is space I would say take all the records you don't play at home and sell/toss them.

The records I play at home, stay at home.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

I'm way better at juggling now that I actually have doubles of records! That and it's motivated me to start remixing and producing more. I need a better laptop before I take it out... if and when that ever happens again

I don't use it to listen to whole albums, though, so if that's all you're looking for, I'm not sure it's the best investment.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

Well see, this is what I'm saying, I already have a G5 Desktop system next to my 12's, so I dont need to buy a laptop. And it'd be nice to be able to record a mix, or just play around on my tables, so just connecting my computer to my stereo so I can play music doesn't cut it. But if simple playback is a pain in the neck, that isn't worth it either.

Anyway, all opinions are appreciated, keep them coming

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    . You could listen to a whole album with it, but for me, I'd rather just play the real thing.

You can? You can line up multiple tracks?

• it was worth it to me, and I barely play out.

Well see, this is what I'm saying, I already have a G5 Desktop system next to my 12's, so I dont need to buy a laptop.

Even if you don't play out much, I think it would be defeating the purpose to buy it for use with a desktop system. I mean, if you ever got asked by a friend or family member to play a wedding or get together you'd be shit out of luck.

I couldn't see splurging on this *just* for home use. I got it so that, when I do occasionally play out, I can play records that I either don't want to risk harming, don't want to own anymore, or don't want to buy in the first place. So I have sold a lot of records and that saved space - but I didn't get it for that purpose.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    . You could listen to a whole album with it, but for me, I'd rather just play the real thing.

You can? You can line up multiple tracks?

if you get in internal mode and click "auto", it will play right through a playlist... quite handy for piss break emergencies/killing the first hour when nobody cares what you are playing anyway

• So I'm seriously considering spending the dough for this, not because I play out much anymore, but because I would love to clear space in my home and put most of my vinyl in storage. So how good/bad is Serato for just general listening to your music? Is it easy to queue up a whole side of a record, or even a whole album and just let it play?

dude, I got the answer for you. There's this little program called iTunes - perhaps you've heard of it - and it let's you play music on your computer. All you need is a sound card to record your vinyl. And the best part - its FREE!

• So I'm seriously considering spending the dough for this, not because I play out much anymore, but because I would love to clear space in my home and put most of my vinyl in storage. So how good/bad is Serato for just general listening to your music? Is it easy to queue up a whole side of a record, or even a whole album and just let it play?

Check out Traktor DJ. No need to use the vinyl format for what you're trying to do. Two virtual decks with mixer, loops, cue points, etc. You can play doubles of the same mp3 with both decks and record live mixes direct to the hard drive. It links directly with itunes for ease in finding your files. You can rock straight from your G5 tonight, just dl the software. Check out the turntablelab review for more info...

• Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I've benn contemplating getting serato as I begin to play out more. The only thing holding me back would be the possibility of turning a 500 dollar investment into a larger one by realizing I need a new computer. Does anyone know what amount of ram / processor speed is needed for serato in a live situation (without glitch/crashing)? My comp is getting older but still shits on the minimum required stats on the company website.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    what about fools who dont know how to DJ and have a small rap record collection? worthwile investment for learning or should the person spend the 500 bones on rap records?

• per0per0 153 Posts

If you wanna make mixtapes with cutting, scratching, juggling etc. It's the shit. It's dead easy to record into as well. If you wanna use it to just listen, why not just MP3 your gear. If you're looking at saving space, same deal.

Personally, I'm impressed with it. Time to sell some vinyl.