AM I WARPING MY CHILDREN'S MINDS WITH MUSIC???

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Music in the cd changer while picking my kids up from camp this past month:-My own homemade "greatest hits" compilations featuring the following artists-Al GreenFrank SinatraFela KutiMarvin Gaye-Another homemade compilation of pop-psych obscurities from the 80's-Yet another homemade comp of sample material, records with ill stabs, loops, beats and interesting vocals from all over the world (eastern european, spanish, british, japanese, etc)-weird beat tapes I made back in like 1989-a little bit of the Lupe Fiasco album (he doesn't really curse but does say the N word a few times so I had to turn that off)-Dilla beat cds-70's lite rock (AM GOLD)Should I be playing the latest releases by Kelis and Lil Wayne (the clean version of course) and other currently relevant artists when I am in the car with these little people? I worry that I may be making them seem weird to their peers. Right now my daughter's favorite cd is "Blue Eyes" -that's the aforementioned homemade Frank Sinatra comp... I try to explain to her that his name is Frank Sinatra and his nickname is "Ol' Blue Eyes", but she insists on telling me that she wants to hear "Blue Eyes" everytime we hop in the whip. I fear i may have already ruined these kids for life. This week I'm thinking about breaking out the metal cds that my boy John Book sent me a couple years ago (these kids like headbanger schitt too, more than I do in fact). Is it too late for them to be saved, Soulstrut?

Comments

• YO SUN PUTOZZ 4 DA KIDZ HEAD I AM SAYIN IM MAKKIN MADD NICKELODEOZ OFF DAT KIDZ BOP PIFF SUN U HARDDDDDDDD!?!? MAKIM HELLA VARY EXCITED N ISH SUNN NAHAMENA?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i would love my parents even more if they actually played me some good music while growing up. all i got was raffi and some other childrens music garbage. the soul, funk, and jazz stuff is so important for the children to hear because if they don't seek it out on their own, they probably won't hear any of it.

you should make your kids listen to ONLY your music

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I don't know anything about raising children, but I am interested because I've always wondered what the outcome of my future children will be if I play the music that I am interested in like what you are doing. Funny you mentioned the Dilla beat CDs, I was listening to "Another Batch" earlier and wondering if my future children would enjoy this on the way to school or not, or in other situations of course.

hahahaha maan, I guess I just want some kids real badly or something---but, not yet--too young with no fund.

I want my kids to be well versed in all types of music, that means one of you guys has got to school on country music sometime........haha

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• ohsnap! fany

ohsnap! fany

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    you know i used to think, when i have kids, do i have to hide all my hip hop in a vault as a "hide the explicit lyrics" type thing.

Then I heard this song

i dont care how old your kid is, him/her WILL get down to this tune, and so will you. fun for the whole family. i want this to be the first hip hop song my kid ever hears. when the mini alieNDN is crawling, he will crawl to this song, and he will bob his cute oversized head to this shit.

its prince paul for the sponge bob soundtrack. sickening tune.

i think its very important for parents to play music for kids at an early age. my parents used to play Goan songs, beatles, and 70s/80s songs that were popular at the time. its odd how i grew up listening to stuff like minnie ripperton and three degrees without realizing it till like 20 years later when i got into that music deeper.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    you know i used to think, when i have kids, do i have to hide all my hip hop in a vault as a "hide the explicit lyrics" type thing.

Then I heard this song

i dont care how old your kid is, him/her WILL get down to this tune, and so will you. fun for the whole family. i want this to be the first hip hop song my kid ever hears. when the mini alieNDN is crawling, he will crawl to this song, and he will bob his cute oversized head to this shit.

That song convinced me that Wordsworth and Prince Paul need to a proper children's Hip Hop album. I'd buy it and I don't even have kids!!!

Herm

Then I heard this song

That song convinced me that Wordsworth and Prince Paul need to a proper children's Hip Hop album. I'd buy it and I don't even have kids!!!

Herm

truth. you know when i read prince paul interviews, he seems a bit bitter about his target audience or whatever. he needs to be like wutang and be for the children. dude was born to make child story book music, i mean just check out all his instrumentals.

he should be on some The Stark Reality Discovers Hoagy Carmichael's Music Shop type shit. like do dr seuss or something. I love prince paul because of the innocence child like quality in his music. melody for days. no one does that for me in any other genre of music period.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    my daughter (3months) is on a strict diet of dilla instrumentals, blaz instrumentals and roots reggae/dub. i think that's a solid foundation. she can develop her own tastes later in life as long as they're rooted in that real schitt.

u know i never thought about it, but dub music must be extremely fun for kids.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yeh, i think dub is her favourite. draws the best reactions. she was feeling this studio one- toughest dub compilation i was rocking today, and the roots radics.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    My children do not allow me to control the radio in the car......

This actually is not such a bad thing ......it has forced me to keep a young ear

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

This actually is not such a bad thing ......it has forced me to keep a young ear

You do realize that this sounds very backwards, do you not edpowers?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

You do realize that this sounds very backwards, do you not edpowers?

nah man....if it were not for my children changing the radio when they get in the car i wouldn't know alot of these good pop songs .....

dude was born to make child story book music, i mean just check out all his instrumentals.

As seen from wayyy back in this De La press kit I just upped at around 3:58.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Look at it this way, Phil. Short term, they might at some point feel a little alienated when it comes to not being as up on pop culture as their friends. But in the long run, when they're adults they will most likely be very, very thankful that you gave them such a strong, diverse music education. Because that shit lasts a lifetime. If it weren't for my dad and uncle's eclectic tastes, I might be listening to Dave Mathews Band, or some shit. OK, that's probably an exaggeration, but I can't imagine how anyone could not eventually appreciate having been introduced to good music. I love my dad for including me in his musical experimentation.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    dude was born to make child story book music, i mean just check out all his instrumentals.

As seen from wayyy back in this De La press kit I just upped at around 3:58.

Damn, that made me feel real nice. Thanks for posting this!

Herm

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Sounds like you are creating future Soul Strut junkies.

With all the parents on here, gotta wonder who will be
    the initial second generation soul strut poster? Phill,
    your kids are already SS stars, for taking a hammer to
    Third Guitar raers!

For real tho, kids will hear popular music through their friends...
    the last thing you need to worry about is not playing enough
    of it for them. Enjoying all that obscure stuff now will just
    help them be more open minded, and have taste and knowledge in the future.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

ohsnap! fany

how dare you make .gifs of me dancing without first consulting me! I'm insulted

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

-Another homemade compilation of pop-psych obscurities from the 80's

new raer genre collectro alert, serious

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    I think it's really really important for the kids to hear varied stuff when they are small, i mean their references will be totally different and i think kids are very underestimated and need the mental stimulation just as the grown upz, i mean it can't be good to expose people to stuff like crazy frog, schnappi and other blasphemous crap that should have been left in 7 circle of hell... the kids should always be left to make up their own taste later on in life and not be forced into listening to anything but to have stuff like soul, jazz, reggae et.c. around when you're a kid is bound to be good..

/L

• i would love my parents even more if they actually played me some good music while growing up. all i got was garbage..

Sooo true my parents musical tastes are very poor, prompted a friend of mine to seriously ask after meetimg them one time... "Are you adopted ? "

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    i would love my parents even more if they actually played me some good music while growing up. all i got was garbage..

Sooo true my parents musical tastes are very poor, prompted a friend of mine to seriously ask after meetimg them one time... "Are you adopted ? "

My parents had a pretty "normal" degree of interest in music, my dad was into slightly weirder stuff like the Fugs and Mothers of Invention in the 60s but they listened to Eurhythmics and the Eagles when I was growing up. I know a lot of people who have become obsessed with music even though their parents weren't, but all the people I know who have parents that are musicians have followed in their footsteps... So in theory, the number of musicians, record collectors etc in the world ought to get bigger and bigger with each new generation. My future kids will definitely get their education early. This isn't warping their minds, just warming them up, preparing them for a life enriched by music.

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    This isn't warping their minds, just warming them up, preparing them for a life enriched by music.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Looking ahead a few years it seems like kids whose parents are really into music of any sort always form strong opinions pretty quickly. While they are complaining that, "My parents only listen to slow, hippie crap," they are still going to seek out something that appeals to them and be a bit more informed about it because they have that little bit of conciousness that stems beyond what they are being 'told' to listen to by everything else around them.

On the other side you've got kids who love the music their parents play for them and it ends up being a bonding experience. A few months back i was watching a father / son combo at T*m's table in Lancaster. They were hitting up some weird rock / prog stuff if i remember correctly, but it was cool. While the dad was obviously more versed, the son was really into it too. That doesnt seem like the result of the parent pushing their interest on the child but something mutual and very cool. i hope to have something at least similar when i have kids even if it is the other way around and i take to their interests. It seems good.

• Look at it this way, Phil. Short term, they might at some point feel a little alienated when it comes to not being as up on pop culture as their friends. But in the long run, when they're adults they will most likely be very, very thankful that you gave them such a strong, diverse music education. Because that shit lasts a lifetime. If it weren't for my dad and uncle's eclectic tastes, I might be listening to Dave Mathews Band, or some shit. OK, that's probably an exaggeration, but I can't imagine how anyone could not eventually appreciate having been introduced to good music. I love my dad for including me in his musical experimentation.

yeah man, keep it up. get them some piano lessons too

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    That doesnt seem like the result of the parent pushing their interest on the child

Yeah, just remember that as soon as they become teenagers they will aggressively distance themselves from anything you actively push on them.

• Sure sounds to me like you are doing your kids a favor.