Charles Mingus - Beneath the Underdog

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Shit is pretty much straight and ever so far. I need more autobiographies like this and Miles Davis' in my life. Any suggestions? Any musical artists really.

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Keep in mind that disclaimer on the first page of the Mingus book that some of it is fiction

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Keep in mind that disclaimer on the first page of the Mingus book that some of it is fiction
    haha, only SOME? i don't really care if it's real or not; shits a good read

• personally, i couldnt get into it...love mingus, but his writing lacked...still have a copy on the shelf...ill give it another shot...check for the dvd that has footage of the nypd kicking him out of his loft and hauling away all his belongings...sad story what they did to that man

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    This book is crazy. His life was wild - sometimes fictionally, I guess - In a can't-put-it-down way. His prose is poetical.

• This was awful, stereotypical, look-at-me BS. Put it down after 30 pages and never picked it up.

• I thought this book sucked a dong as big as the one Mingus kept bragging about having. 2nd Rate erotica told in the 2nd person...

• i've been reading horace tapscott's autobio "songs of the unsung" which is really good so far. a lot of insight on los angeles from the 1950's-late 1990's, both musically, and culturally. another really good autobio i'd recommend is hampton hawes'. great read. i still have to read ellington's, which i've been sleeping on.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Loved the Miles book, was not into the Mingus one. The Brian Wilson book however is