Jackie Wilson on Brunswick

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I bought a couple reasonably early Jackie Wilson 7"s the weekend before last on orange Brunswick. Thing is, they are singles but have small holes & play at 33. Is this strange or just one of those ill conceived record company format experiments?

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I bought a couple reasonably early Jackie Wilson 7"s the weekend before last on orange Brunswick. Thing is, they are singles but have small holes & play at 33. Is this strange or just one of those ill conceived record company format experiments?

Are they are U.S. pressings??

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Are they are U.S. pressings??
    yeah

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    Do they contain several tracks on each side? Mini jubebox LPs are 7" playing at 33 1/3 with usually 3 tracks by side...

Do they contain several tracks on each side? Mini jubebox LPs are 7" playing at 33 1/3 with usually 3 tracks by side...

Yep sounds like Jukebox pressings.......some only had one song on each side but usually came with a cardboard jacket. Not particularly valuable unless it's Elvis/Beatles/Stones/Zep stuff.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Yep sounds like Jukebox pressings.......some only had one song on each side but usually came with a cardboard jacket. Not particularly valuable unless it's Elvis/Beatles/Stones/Zep stuff.
    Just singles, but they have small spindle holes, not the big jukebox holes.

In the 60's there were plenty of small spindle hole Jukebox singles and ep's.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts

Yep, mini jukebox LPs... The label is the same as an LP (beeing a bit smaller of course)

Like this... In most of the cases they have 3 cuts by side, play at 33 1/3 and have a beautiful miniature cover.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I inherited my uncle's huge collection long ago and there was a number of singles like this... different labels and artists, including some Jackie Wilson.

I haven't seen much on them... I thought it was a boneheaded attempt to introduce a new single format and they don't actually mention jukes on the label. They're 'Compact 33's' or something like that.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I inherited my uncle's huge collection long ago and there was a number of singles like this... different labels and artists, including some Jackie Wilson.

I haven't seen much on them... I thought it was a boneheaded attempt to introduce a new single format and they don't actually mention jukes on the label. They're 'Compact 33's' or something like that.

The point of the Compact 33's was to introduce stereo sound in a 7" format, and were commercially available in stores. Totally unrelated to EP's. It didn't quite catch on - many of these same songs released in the Compact 33 format could be bought on a regular mono 45. But they had their day for quite a while - they turn up from time to time in used singles bins.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I haven't seen much on them...

I vaguely remember seeing an article in an old Goldmine about the Compact 33's...it was in Mike Callahan's "Both Sides Now" column, about stereo (and yes, this column was the forerunner to the Both Sides Now website with all the label discogs). Just like those Hip Pocket minature flexidiscs from the mid-sixties, the Compact 33 thing was just another industry format that didn't amount to much.