HOW MANY MP3s DO YOU OWN!!?

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    the_seaker

• sergserg 682 Posts
    24,400 mp3's and some dvds full of mp3's that I had to take off my harddrive for space

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    the_seaker

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    probably millions, I mean none

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    the_seaker

NO DOUBT.

Here's a photo of the_seaker re-calibrating
    one of her bank of external hard drives. Each
    mainframe holds over 40,000 GB - or approximately
    9,000,000 MP3's. SHIT IS REAL.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    SIK

• roughly about 50-80000 on 2 pcs, external hdd's etc...lost at least that amount in all these years too...stopped gettin mp3s unless its sometin i cant afford on wax but still want to listen to etc...about 25,000 is all latin-brasil btw

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    a measly 4456 ...

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    i have 41 mp3s.*

* = on my work computer, i started working here about 2 weeks ago.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Try to keep no more than about 30 gig worth on my pc until i get round to sorting out an extrernal hard drive. Means that I have to spend a lot of time cropping the collection which makes me cry a little inside.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Only 1,613... all but about 5% are ripped directly from vinyl and they're almost all soul/funk/pre-1995 hip hop. Making MP3s from vinyl is laborious and I really have to be feeling the track to put in the work. iTunes says it's almost 5 days' worth. I would think that once you could go one month without repeats that would be enough. Then again, many of us should probably have enough vinyl, but that doesn't stop me from bringing home even more stacks of records now and then.

I know a few people who rip all their CDs in their entirity. To me, that's too much filler. I made a good chunk of my MP3s when I knew I would be away from my records for a couple years. Now that we're reunited, I hardly rip down vinyl that much anymore. Although if it was as easy as converting CDs, I would do it regularly.

Some impressive numbers listed above. Would love to peep what some of you are listening to because the tastes must be broad and eclectic. Still, even though I appreciate all genres of music, I really don't want to open that pandora's box. Last thing I need is to go broke trying to build a deep bluegrass collection or a blues collection. Even collecting straight jazz has me shook, so I try to limit myself to heavyweight material only. This collecting shit is nuts.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

Some impressive numbers listed above. Would love to peep what some of you are listening to because the tastes must be broad and eclectic. Still, even though I appreciate all genres of music, I really don't want to open that pandora's box.

well, a SS last fm group would do it - the site aggregates out weekly and monthly artist & song charts for the group, I was a bit ehh about it at first but have found it to be strangely intriguing, my user page is here

just imagine how much various people would get paid out on ...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Try reselling that on ebay.

There should be a graemlin for that!

I own about 10 records on MP3. And some sound clips. I don't know why, but I don't seem to be a music fanatic. I like records. I like finding and buying records I don't know. And most importantly, I like digging. I'm not sure if I like music that much though. I love Jazz and funky Rock and Psychy Rock and some Funk, but I'm not into hearing every single record that other people talk about. I like to check MP3s of records that I always wanted to find, but I barely download those clips. I still don't know why.

PS: I don't hate MP3s. I think DJs playing MP3s are cool. As long as they actually can DJ and play good music.

• Only 1,613... all but about 5% are ripped directly from vinyl and they're almost all soul/funk/pre-1995 hip hop. Making MP3s from vinyl is laborious and I really have to be feeling the track to put in the work. iTunes says it's almost 5 days' worth. I would think that once you could go one month without repeats that would be enough. Then again, many of us should probably have enough vinyl, but that doesn't stop me from bringing home even more stacks of records now and then.

I know a few people who rip all their CDs in their entirity. To me, that's too much filler. I made a good chunk of my MP3s when I knew I would be away from my records for a couple years. Now that we're reunited, I hardly rip down vinyl that much anymore. Although if it was as easy as converting CDs, I would do it regularly.

Some impressive numbers listed above. Would love to peep what some of you are listening to because the tastes must be broad and eclectic. Still, even though I appreciate all genres of music, I really don't want to open that pandora's box. Last thing I need is to go broke trying to build a deep bluegrass collection or a blues collection. Even collecting straight jazz has me shook, so I try to limit myself to heavyweight material only. This collecting shit is nuts.

so true...thats one reason i started gettin mp3s, like with my latin addiction i was able to get a decent overview of whats outthere and what was released in the 60s-70s, must-cops etc. its a great way to get into new things, ill buy them on wax anyway if i really like it, thats how mp3s should be used imho.

my coll would be like:

80% = latinjazzbrasilrarefunksoul&soundtracksspokenwordpsychgaragepunk

20% = all the rap i dont want to spend money on

• says the dude whos always requestin some mp3s on the dj premier forum

Do you really think I need to request MP3s when I have every song he have produced on vinyl. 100% complete. I even had to press some of the stuff that isn't on vinyl, to vinyl, just to keep it real.

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts

around 40GB
    i def. need one of those fany hd-mp3-players...

• okiba75okiba75 89 Posts
    I don't _own_ any but I have collected a few:

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

i havent deleted an mp3 in 5 years.
    ive got about 800gb.
    ive also got a 500 gb hd filled w/ lossless bottlegs and movies.

ps, anyone know some good record spots at lake tahoe????

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I think I have about 750 gigs worth and no Serato.

- spidey

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I used to be a heavy MP3 downloader, it was insane. Compared to others, I probably don't have a hell of a lot. But I have a spindle of about 100 CD-R's, all filled with various things. I am going to give it away, but who would want it?

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    According to iTunes, 16372 mp3s, 70.7 days of audio, or 125.03 gigs. e-dick++, right?

According to iTunes, 16372 mp3s, 70.7 days of audio, or 125.03 gigs. e-dick++, right?

No idea, I'll trust you on that one. I don't use iTunes nor have an iPod, and yet I create podcasts. Go figure.

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    My collection is kinda of weak, 400+ .wav files from my records.. 126 MP3's..

My boy tells me I need to convert my wav files over to 320kps MP3's but, I still like the way the wav files sound better.

Still no Serato, but mos def copping it when I gets some extra chedder.

Playing on CD-Js and Turntables, recently...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

No idea, I'll trust you on that one. I don't use iTunes nor have an iPod, and yet I create podcasts. Go figure.
    You do that a lot.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Jeez... another episode of the Pookeyblow Keeping it Real Show

I have about 700 here at work, 500 at home ripped from vinyl, and only another 1000 downloaded. I never used to keep mp3's I downloaded after I got the record. Damn, I could have saved some serious ripping time right there. Oh well.

You do that a lot.

You got it, dude

You do that a lot.

You got it, dude
    You know you knew.

You know you knew.

Well let's be honest, one doesn't NEED[/b] an iPod to play MP3's. I did host an online radio show for awhile, and in terms of convenience, MP3's are great. The listener on the other end doesn't care too much. But outside of what I receive to review or if someone needs a song that I have, I don't do the heavy MP3 downloading that I used to. It makes it easy to hear the song immediately, but it makes me want the record or CD even more.

When I make podcasts, I do it directly from vinyl, CD, or a lossless file so that it will be of decent quality when someone downloads it. I don't want people to hear that "shard" sound.

You know you knew.

Well let's be honest, one doesn't NEED[/b] an iPod to play MP3's. I did host an online radio show for awhile, and in terms of convenience, MP3's are great. The listener on the other end doesn't care too much. But outside of what I receive to review or if someone needs a song that I have, I don't do the heavy MP3 downloading that I used to. It makes it easy to hear the song immediately, but it makes me want the record or CD even more.

When I make podcasts, I do it directly from vinyl, CD, or a lossless file so that it will be of decent quality when someone downloads it. I don't want people to hear that "shard" sound.
    WOW...you did it AGAIN.

WOW...you did it AGAIN.

Mr. B****y, I wish I knew what I did. But perhaps by not knowing, I did it again, like Louis Armstrong?

Inform.