I Just Listened to Idlewild

13»

Comments

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    It's really only partly an Outkast album. it's a soundtrack, so I'm sure I'll have a completely different reaction and relation to the album once I see the flick (which I hear is actually pretty good) and see some of the songs in context of the movie. ...
    So you don't consider Shaft OST to be a Isaac Hayes album ? Did you need to see Superfly to fully appreciate Curtis Mayfield's music ?

• i haven't listened to it yet but before i have i'd just like to say that janelle monae and scar need to blow up step the fuck off

i am pro-sleepy brown and killer mike blowing up, though.

anybody heard Sleepy Brown's "One of Dem Nights"? i love it.

Hot Schitt! People really need to get on that Sleepy's Theme album too. A vinyl reissue is waiting to happen. I have no problem with Idlewild.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    I've had this for a few days now, and I'm not mad at it, but I'm not all that mad about it either. It's a long way from their best work (for me? "Aquemini"), and the obvious soundtrack joints sound a bit leaden - why not get musicians in to play like a proper swing rhythm section, instead of using a programmed replication that sounds clodhopping in comparison? "Morris Brown" is catchy as fuck, though, and when it's good, it's good enough without being great.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    i haven't listened to it yet but before i have i'd just like to say that janelle monae and scar need to blow up step the fuck off

i am pro-sleepy brown and killer mike blowing up, though.

anybody heard Sleepy Brown's "One of Dem Nights"? i love it.

Hot Schitt! People really need to get on that Sleepy's Theme album too. A vinyl reissue is waiting to happen. I have no problem with Idlewild.

Co-sign on the Sleepy's Theme. There's some incredible shit on that record.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I've had this for a few days now, and I'm not mad at it, but I'm not all that mad about it either. It's a long way from their best work (for me? "Aquemini"), and the obvious soundtrack joints sound a bit leaden - why not get musicians in to play like a proper swing rhythm section, instead of using a programmed replication that sounds clodhopping in comparison? "Morris Brown" is catchy as fuck, though, and when it's good, it's good enough without being great.

It's really just too all over the place for me with too much miss to each hit. The cliche with most albums out these days is "If you halved the songs you'd have a great album" but with Idlewild there's not enough good material once you've removed the chaff.

I really do like a couple of tracks but altogether it sounds like they recorded the whole album over a long weekend in the studio as there doesn't seem to be any quality control.

Couple of points that came to mind on first listen:

1. Outkast seriously need to stop doing skits
    2. Big Boi has an excellent solo career ahead of him
    3. I miss Andre the rapper
    4. I bet national newspapers fawn over this album as much as they did Gnarls Barkley with copious use of terms like "groundbreaking", "boundary-pushing" and, of course, "eclectic"