I Just Listened to Idlewild

Comments

• i like it. it's no secret that whenever 'kast drops a new record, it's immediately dubbed as their "worst album ever" by the comic book guy - sorry - internet massive. it's a good record. at least after the first couple of listens.

So what are you trying to say? That Idlewild is not their worst record? And if so, what is?
    hell, maybe it is. but they have one of the strongest catalogs as far as current rap artists, and it's not like "idlewild" is a terrible record so as to emphatically say "worst album ever!". a better way to phrase that in this case would be, "it may be their weakest album, but it's still a nice one". either way, it's hard to say at this point being that it just leaked less than 24 hours ago....

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i would rock a petey pablo promo tee

album has about five or six solid tracks, the same amount of interludes, and the rest is whatever or some singy songy shit i aint into. you guys gotta take into account that this shit is supposed to be accompanying movie scenes so songs like "a bad note" don't exactly work well without it.

• i would rock a petey pablo promo tee

album has about five or six solid tracks, the same amount of interludes, and the rest is whatever or some singy songy shit i aint into. you guys gotta take into account that this shit is supposed to be accompanying movie scenes so songs like "a bad note" don't exactly work well without it.

Agree w/ that last part. Haven't heard it and can't judge, but this is a musical score, so its gonna be different than ATLiens. So, it should be judged differently.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i would rock a petey pablo promo tee

I don't think it is, though--the movie actually uses a bunch of old music, because the couldn't get it together with the "soundtrack" in time.

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    And I heard you get oversized promo tees with some regularity.

Petey Pablo tees.

do you have any petey pablo tees that you're trying to get rid of?

seriously

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    And I heard you get oversized promo tees with some regularity.

Petey Pablo tees.

do you have any petey pablo tees that you're trying to get rid of?

seriously

dude i actually do have one but it's at my parents house. pm me if you're seriously for serious.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    hey

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Yeah what other schwag you got?

dude i actually do have one but it's at my parents house. pm me if you're seriously for serious.

have you taken it off and tested it to see if it swings around like a helicopter?... that could be a deal breaker

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    brian i figured you were joking.

BIDDING WAR

Quintuple-XL Pastor Troy jersey.

And in case you're thinking of asking: N-O

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

mac mall "sic wid tis" tee
    too short "what's my favorite word" tee
    stankonia long sleeve tee (can't wear that anymore, not after idlewild)
    m.o.p. warriorz bandana

a gang of other dumb shit like obie trice baseball cards.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

too short "what's my favorite word" tee

I'll take it

a gang of other dumb shit like obie trice baseball cards.

wtf

noz - check your pms, dude

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    been listening to it on myspace...it's not that bad?

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    Yeah I like what I have heard so far but I think every album after Aquemini has gone down in lastability, the songs get catchier I listen to them more get bored of them quite quickly. First half sounds like an Outkast album though to me! Second half gets a bit weaker.

• It's really only partly an Outkast album. it's a soundtrack, so I'm sure I'll have a completely different reaction and relation to the album once I see the flick (which I hear is actually pretty good) and see some of the songs in context of the movie. The first 12 tracks up until Hollywood Divorce feel like a 'kast record, and then it feels extra soundtrack. Morris Brown is crazy, though. I love how Lil Wayne jumps on the track in HOllywood Divorce. Peaches is pretty ill, and I like Chronometrophobia...and hear the corresponding scene in the movie is cool. So It's definitely been getting run in my ears. Might be the worst Outkast album ever, but still is great to hear.

• i don't get you dudes.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's really only partly an Outkast album. it's a soundtrack, so I'm sure I'll have a completely different reaction and relation to the album once I see the flick (which I hear is actually pretty good) and see some of the songs in context of the movie. The first 12 tracks up until Hollywood Divorce feel like a 'kast record, and then it feels extra soundtrack. Morris Brown is crazy, though. I love how Lil Wayne jumps on the track in HOllywood Divorce. Peaches is pretty ill, and I like Chronometrophobia...and hear the corresponding scene in the movie is cool. So It's definitely been getting run in my ears. Might be the worst Outkast album ever, but still is great to hear.

It's not a soundtrack insofar as only one of the songs actually appears in the movie. It may be an album INSPIRED by the movie but creatively speaking, it doesn't sound like the group was beholden to having to make songs FOR the movie.

• It's really only partly an Outkast album. it's a soundtrack, so I'm sure I'll have a completely different reaction and relation to the album once I see the flick (which I hear is actually pretty good) and see some of the songs in context of the movie. The first 12 tracks up until Hollywood Divorce feel like a 'kast record, and then it feels extra soundtrack. Morris Brown is crazy, though. I love how Lil Wayne jumps on the track in HOllywood Divorce. Peaches is pretty ill, and I like Chronometrophobia...and hear the corresponding scene in the movie is cool. So It's definitely been getting run in my ears. Might be the worst Outkast album ever, but still is great to hear.

It's not a soundtrack insofar as only one of the songs actually appears in the movie. It may be an album INSPIRED by the movie but creatively speaking, it doesn't sound like the group was beholden to having to make songs FOR the movie.

Really? Didn't realize that. It sure sounds like they should be songs in the movie. I mean, they're not even on half of the songs, no?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    1) It would be crazy to not expect this to be "the worst Outkast album"

2) Its not actually an Outkast album anyway

2) Its not actually an Outkast album anyway

Yes, but that's not because it's actually intended to be something else--it's because Andre has had no interest in being in Outkast in a long time, yet, despite that fact, it's still being marketed as an Outkast project.

I don't know, I wish they had just been real about it and gone their separate ways after Stankonia.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    From USA Today:

"...(Andre) Benjamin is also currently working on a new jazz project tenatively titled "Kind of Black: Benjamin on Davis" in which he reworks the classic 1959 work "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis. Benjamin is to be joined on the project by two Grammy-winners: Acclaimed trumpeter Wynton Marsalis and popular Roots drummer/producer Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson."

link

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    if this was a def jux record created by someone on the def jux roster this whole thread would be one emphatic lol

• damagedamage 118 Posts
    i haven't listened to it yet but before i have i'd just like to say that janelle monae and scar need to blow up step the fuck off

i am pro-sleepy brown and killer mike blowing up, though.

anybody heard Sleepy Brown's "One of Dem Nights"? i love it.

Wauw wauw hot song right there

m.o.p. warriorz bandana

id fuck with that

• From USA Today:

"...(Andre) Benjamin is also currently working on a new jazz project tenatively titled "Kind of Black: Benjamin on Davis" in which he reworks the classic 1959 work "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis. Benjamin is to be joined on the project by two Grammy-winners: Acclaimed trumpeter Wynton Marsalis and popular Roots drummer/producer Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson."

link

wow, thats sounds really self-indugent and unneccesary. andre 3000 is not mark murphy and wynton marsalis....all i have to say is fuck wynton marsalis.

if this was a def jux record created by someone on the def jux roster this whole thread would be one emphatic lol

This doesn't even make any sense

From USA Today:

I'm starting to think this dude is determind to destroy his own career

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'm starting to think this dude is determind to destroy his own career

I think he's pulling a Will Smith and insuring his post-rap career.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    From USA Today:

link

am i hallucinating or is there now no mention of this project in that usa today article?