FEARLESS - Jet Li

IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Anyone see this? Not sure if anyone posted about this, I've been out for a min... I would rate this a B, but that's just me... I actually injoyed it it could have been better but all in all it was cool, classic story line etc...Though I was hoping to see a Student vs Master fight seen... Shoot I think they just need to remake a lot of the Venom's joints and Remake of the Brave Archers Series this time without the actors missing... LOL word... I wonder what yall think about this movie...

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Shoot I think they just need to remake a lot of the Venom's joints

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

I love it when your avatar matches the music I'm listening to. AGL

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts

It could, bring back the Orginal Venoms (Well the one's that are still Alive RIP the Unicorn...), and have them as the Masters that trained some new students have them go off and just for kicks bring the The white spearman from Flag of Iron and dog we got are selves a fat flick, and have Paul Nasty Nice Oversee the production and it's over!

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    I liked fearless. It brought me back to Jet Li's Wong Fei Hung flicks. To me, Li's at his best in those quasi historical movies. I'm going to see it on the big screen in Sept & will cop the english dvd, too. I'd leave the shaw joints alone. I don't know how a remake of Brave Archer would be. From my understanding, the book is long & it's tough to bring it all to the big screen. I did dig the OG brave archer films & have been told the tv series is even better. Wouldn't be brave archer without Fu Sheng, tho.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Did this come with decent subs yet??? My version has some pretty shit translation.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Jet Li is great in Fearless.A lot of people in Hong Kong have problem with his character, but I guess it's just people forgot what it means to be humble. My major problem is just the constant use of CG aerial shots of old Shanghai, a little too Gladiator-ish to me. That said, Chinese CG artists loves aerial shots with a strange obessession.

As for Brave Archer, TV is a more suitable format because the original novel is in VOLUMES. The writer just love to write long-ass novels (imagine the story of Stephen King's The Stand told in the volumes of Rememberance of Things Past: that's how he rolls with every one of his novels).

• RonanRonan 86 Posts
    i thought it was the best jet li film since fist of legend. i would say it was his best acting performance ever. three section staff sequence was

what does he intend on doin now?

Did this come with decent subs yet??? My version has some pretty shit translation.

There are some great bootlegs out there. My subs are pretty good & I did some editing with what little mandarin I have. There will be a proper dvd in the fall.

peace

h

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

As for Brave Archer, TV is a more suitable format because the original novel is in VOLUMES. The writer just love to write long-ass novels (imagine the story of Stephen King's The Stand told in the volumes of Rememberance of Things Past: that's how he rolls with every one of his novels).

The Brave Archer/Condor Heroes series is my favorite.
    The Alchemist Wong/Peach Blossom Island master character is hands down the baddest mother fucker in the martial world!! Period!!

That said, I agree that the tv series is better in that it stretches out the story to a point of comprehension, unlike the film adaptations.
    The 2 original classic TVB Condor Heroes series from the early 80's have recently been released on DVD with english subtitles. Great stuff if you've never seen it.
    All I had to go on prior to this were the Brave Archer films from Shaw Brothers, which will always have a special place in my heart.
    I mean, Chang Cheh at the helm and a cast that's never been topped.
    Fu Sheng, the Venoms, Ti Lung (who doesn't show up until part 3), Ku Feng, Esther Niu Niu, Tien Niu, Helen Yu, Wang Lung Wei, Danny Li, Hui Ying Hung, Dick Wei, Li Yi Min, Fang Mei Shen, and on and on and on.
    The opening credits in part one where they introduce the characters goes on for quite a while.
    I even dug the Little Dragin Maidon flick depite Leslie Cheung and the crazy ass man in the bird suit.

More Jin Yong, Gu Long goodness...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinyong

http://wuxiamania.phorumz.com/wuxiamania.html

My other favorite wuxia story is the Legend of the Fox.
    Gotta love the poison master chick.

Oh yeah, I dug Fearless a lot.
    I agree it's his best stuff since Fist of Legend, which surprised me a little since I never really felt Ronny Yu.
    The copy I have has decent subs.
    I'd like to see all the Michelle Yeoh stuff they got rid of too.
    Word is the long rumored team up of Jet and Jackie is finally in the works.
    Probably 10 years too late if you ask me.
    Jackie was never one to be generous when it came to sharing screen time with another fighter, but I can only imagne that he's just fallen off so hard in these past few years that he feels he needs to do it in order to get people to even care about him.
    I mean, from what I understand, heads in HK are just completely over him now.

• snosno 332 Posts
    That said, I agree that the tv series is better in that it stretches out the story to a point of comprehension, unlike the film adaptations.
    The 2 original classic TVB Condor Heroes series from the early 80's have recently been released on DVD with english subtitles. Great stuff if you've never seen it.
    All I had to go on prior to this were the Brave Archer films from Shaw Brothers, which will always have a special place in my heart.

Word! You should check out the new Condor Heros TV serial from Taiwan or Mainland China. People over in HKG are going crazy over it. I haven't seen it, but people says inspite of the CGs and Wirefus and shit, it's sticking very close to the source material.

I mean, Chang Cheh at the helm and a cast that's never been topped.
    Chang Cheh...his SB movies were my first encounter of cinematic violence in my life.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Oh yeah, I dug Fearless a lot.
    I agree it's his best stuff since Fist of Legend, which surprised me a little since I never really felt Ronny Yu.
    The copy I have has decent subs.
    I'd like to see all the Michelle Yeoh stuff they got rid of too.
    Word is the long rumored team up of Jet and Jackie is finally in the works.
    Probably 10 years too late if you ask me.
    Jackie was never one to be generous when it came to sharing screen time with another fighter, but I can only imagne that he's just fallen off so hard in these past few years that he feels he needs to do it in order to get people to even care about him.
    I mean, from what I understand, heads in HK are just completely over him now.

Fell off cannot even start to describe Chan's suckage. Watched the trailer for his new Cantonese movie "Project Baby" or something. Just painful.
    Have you seen his drunk-ass in a concert footage? Classic moment.
    Jet Li and Tony Jaa should team up to whoop Jackie Chan's ass.

Watched the trailer for his new Cantonese movie "Project Baby" or something. Just painful.

Yeah, I thought it was a bad joke.
    Apparently I was right.
    I thought this was supposed to be the big 3 reunion pic with JC, Sammo and Yuen Biao?

Have you seen his drunk-ass in a concert footage? Classic moment.

Yup. Didn't he tell the audience to 'go f#ck their mother' or something like that?
    That's the wholesome Jackie we all know and love.

• Jet Li is great in Fearless. My major problem is just the constant use of CG aerial shots of old Shanghai

I was annoyed by the use of CG alot too (i notice that stuff more than everyone else apparently) but I thought the film was great (despite one of the worst cinema experiences ever). Did anyone else catch Unleashed? I thought Jet Li was pretty damn good in that too but Fearless kills it, a good 4th film in the 'series' and jet li's "last epic" (what does that mean?)

Jet Li is great in Fearless. My major problem is just the constant use of CG aerial shots of old Shanghai

I was annoyed by the use of CG alot too (i notice that stuff more than everyone else apparently) but I thought the film was great (despite one of the worst cinema experiences ever). Did anyone else catch Unleashed? I thought Jet Li was pretty damn good in that too but Fearless kills it, a good 4th film in the 'series' and jet li's "last epic" (what does that mean?)

Unleashed was cool. I like old school kung fu, tho & dug fearless more.

I think Jet Li is gonna make another kung fu flick soon, or that's what the rumor is.