Mulatu Astatqe (Astatke?)

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
i've been listening to the Ethiopiques 4 cd a lot lately and i love it. The guitar and horns are Besides the other Ethiopiques, what are some more artists or releases I should check for that sound like this? http://www.myspace.com/mulatuastatkeYekerme Sew reminds me of a fonky Song for My Father

Comments

• Some singers you could start out with is Mahmoud Ahmed and Tilahun Gessesse who are both heroes in Ethiopia and by many locals considered to be more important than Mulatu and yes Tilahun and Mahmoud are some great singers.

A singer called Alemayehue Eshete is also super duper dopeness.

Also check for Girma Beyenne who was also a part of the All Star Band along with Mulatu. Their work is pretty difficult to tell apart.

I think if you're really into the ethio vibe all the comps should be worth your money.

Dress

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Audrey, did you get the MP3's of this when they were making the rounds? If not, holler...

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    i've been listening to the Ethiopiques 4 cd a lot lately and i love it. The guitar and horns are Besides the other Ethiopiques, what are some more artists or releases I should check for that sound like this?

http://www.myspace.com/mulatuastatke

Yekerme Sew reminds me of a fonky Song for My Father

This is a quality album! Do u have the other mulatu ish? U can find it all on soulseek.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Audrey, did you get the MP3's of this when they were making the rounds? If not, holler...

no i didn't. that is a lovely track and the kinda stuff i am wanting.

i have some mahmoud ahmed ethiopiques and i like it. i want more instrumental stuff though that sounds like the mulatu stuff so any kind of wisdom in this field is much appreciated

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

I've had this on repeat since it was posted on Waxidermy, how's the rest? Quite a lot like this track?

Cosign on the Mahmoud Ahmed.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

I've had this on repeat since it was posted on Waxidermy, how's the rest? Quite a lot like this track?

yup. It's a monster.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    i've been listening to the Ethiopiques 4 cd a lot lately and i love it.

If you like No. 4, pick up 14 as well. Its in the same vein. All instrumentals.

There's a webpage called buda music (i think) that has some info on ethio-jazz.

• I'm going to hear this guy live inside two weeks.

• there isn't any other ethiopian instrumental stuff, really, except for getachew mekurya (sp?), and a couple of random singles which are all beyene /mulatu connected. there really wasn't much by way of an instrumental tradition in ethiopia until Mulatu made those 2 LPs, and there isn't much after either as far as i iknow. I never come across any instrumental stuff, and I don't know of any either. check out any of the ethiopiques series if you dig the sound, but 4 and the getechew M are the only ones with much instro stuff on.

Actually, this LP is about half instrumental and half vocal cuts with a couple different singers featured including Mahmoud Ahmed. Recorded in Los Angeles in the late 70's if I remember correctly. It hasn't been reissued so it tends to be under the radar a bit. Sold my copy on ebay for a pittance to a fellow soulstrutter who knew the deal.

• 4 and the getechew M are the only ones with much instro stuff on.

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    Like said earlier, 1st of september Mulatu is performing live here.. this will be sooo awesome...

Funky music for days..

/L

• galaxygalaxy 62 Posts
    Leo,

cool to hear that he comes to Swe too!!!

best
    sami

Like said earlier, 1st of september Mulatu is performing live here.. this will be sooo awesome...

Funky music for days..

/L

• there isn't any other ethiopian instrumental stuff, really, except for getachew mekurya (sp?), and a couple of random singles which are all beyene /mulatu connected. there really wasn't much by way of an instrumental tradition in ethiopia until Mulatu made those 2 LPs, and there isn't much after either as far as i iknow. I never come across any instrumental stuff, and I don't know of any either. check out any of the ethiopiques series if you dig the sound, but 4 and the getechew M are the only ones with much instro stuff on.

Actually, this LP is about half instrumental and half vocal cuts with a couple different singers featured including Mahmoud Ahmed. Recorded in Los Angeles in the late 70's if I remember correctly. It hasn't been reissued so it tends to be under the radar a bit. Sold my copy on ebay for a pittance to a fellow soulstrutter who knew the deal.

that LP is tough to find, never managed to get one. I was always suspicious about the date, whats the production like?

No reason to be wary, it's a solid album. Maybe not on quite the same level as Mulatu but not far off either. Here's a couple snippets that I had made for the auction.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=53ECF5C46EADF25B
    http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=40752FD53AEAEDAC

Leo,

cool to hear that he comes to Swe too!!!

best
    sami

Funky music for days..

/L

Yeah a shame that i will miss Edan and the other stuff on the Flow festival but hey that's life, you need to come over here and hang Sami, we need some finnish niceness in stockholm also have a good time with Kalle coming and plying at your club, shit will definetly be 100% crackin'

/L

• When, where?

Funky music for days..

/L

When, where?

Funky music for days..

/L

S??dra Teatern in Stockholm

peas owt
    L

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i've been listening to the Ethiopiques 4 cd a lot lately and i love it. The guitar and horns are Besides the other Ethiopiques, what are some more artists or releases I should check for that sound like this?

http://www.myspace.com/mulatuastatke

Yekerme Sew reminds me of a fonky Song for My Father

This is a quality album!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

i love this, especially 'yikirta lemminalehu' and 'birukane' thanks so much.