Actors/Actresses You'll Pay To See Everytime

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
What actors/actresses will you pay to see everytime regardless of how bad a review their flick gets?Robert DeNiroSteve BuscemiJoe Pesci

Comments

• Mr. DeNiro has been falling off lately, especially when he does comedy. I put Pacino in the same category.

Gary Oldman
    Bill Murray
    Jeffrey Wright

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    What actors/actresses will you pay to see everytime regardless of how bad a review their flick gets?

Robert DeNiro
    Steve Buscemi
    Joe Pesci

Joe Pesci hasn't made a movie sicne 1998 (although I think one is in the works for him).

Robert DeNiro is almost a caricature of himself these days. His glory days are way behind him. With the right director he was be brillant but his roles are otherwise by-the-number now.

I love Buscemi too but he's the same as DeNiro. Depends on the director.

I basically see films based on the director. A good actor can't save a film when you have a shitty director behind the camera. See Jamie Foxx in Ray for a perfect example of this.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Mr. DeNiro has been falling off lately, especially when he does comedy. I put Pacino in the same category.

Gary Oldman
    Bill Murray
    Jeffrey Wright

Gotta co-sign on Murray....in my opinion the best alumni of SNL ever!!

He can take an absolute piece o crap movie like Kingpin and make me watch it just for his 15 minutes!!!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah definitely Bill Murray. De Niro now makes almost more films in a year than he made in the entire eighties so I no longer really check them unless they hold some other interest.

I'll always check something with Walken in or an Asian Chan film but apart from that I tend to go on directors.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jeff Bridges
    Christopher Walken
    Sean Penn
    John Turturro
    Cate Blanchett
    Zhang Ziyi
    Samantha Morton

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Al Pacino has always sucked, in my opinion. Scenery-chewing is not the same thing as acting.

Bill Murray - his last few have been ehh, but he's still the man
    Kate Winslet - the reason I sat through Holy Smoke
    Ewan McGregor
    John Turturro
    Chris Cooper
    Gillian Anderson - feels kinda silly admitting this here, but after I saw House of Mirth and more recently Bleak House, I think she's vastly underrated

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    John Cusack and Jason Lee for sure, and the dirtball in me will watch anything with Scarlett Johansson, Kate Beckinsale or Keira Knightly.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

this is hard.

don cheadle
    clive owen
    david strathairn
    steve carrell
    bill murray

directors i'd pay:
    steve soderbergh
    john sayles
    michael mann
    werner herzog
    sam raimi
    errol morris
    david fincher even though i think his flicks are kinda cheap

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I actually rented the original Airwolf made-for-TV movie that lead to the series recently. Holy crap! Watching Ernest Borgnine chew scenery next to Jan-Michael Vincent's "squint and mumble" acting style was some whole other shit.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

Bill Murray - his last few have been ehh, but he's still the man

"Are you a BUG, Bill Murray?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwCy6yn4SDY

-pj

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

I actually rented the original Airwolf made-for-TV movie that lead to the series recently. Holy crap! Watching Ernest Borgnine chew scenery next to Jan-Michael Vincent's "squint and mumble" acting style was some whole other shit.

i kinda feel bad for jan-michael. he's kinda like mickey rourke in the sense that he is a competant actor that had a promising career ahead and just ruined himself with drug excess and nonsense and became hollywood trash. i kinda hope he makes a comeback like mickey rourke in sin city. it was nice to see him in buffalo 66

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    "Coffee and Cigarettes" was crazy boring. I guess when you watch individual vignettes its more bareable. Great idea, pretty weak writing.

Speaking of I saw Tom Waits when he performed in Chicago the other day, it was

He did the theme from the wire ("Down in the Hole") and "Singapore" which was a ridic encore.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

i kinda feel bad for jan-michael. he's kinda like mickey rourke in the sense that he is a competant actor that had a promising career ahead and just ruined himself with drug excess and nonsense and became hollywood trash. i kinda hope he makes a comeback like mickey rourke in sin city. it was nice to see him in buffalo 66

Didn't he die.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    for some strange reason I have always appreciated Michael Keaton??s work.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Barbara Stanwyck

Dan Duryea

• without a doubt... Bill Murray & Steve Buscemi.

• for some strange reason I have always appreciated Michael Keaton??s work.
    there isn't a sufficient icon for this post.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Salma Hayek
    Kevin Spacey
    Christopher Walken
    Arnold Schwarzenegger
    Denzel

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Myrna Loy
    William Powell
    James Stewart
    Warren Oates
    Peter Fonda
    Lee Marvin
    Vincent Price
    Peter Cushing
    Caroline Munro
    Shintaro Katsu
    Meiko Kaji
    Amitabh Bachchan
    Feroz Khan
    Zeenat Aman
    Bipasha Basu
    Helen
    YAPHET FUCKING KOTTO

I could go on for days really.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

YAPHET FUCKING KOTTO

african Jews plaese to represent...

• strikerstriker 146 Posts

YAPHET FUCKING KOTTO

african Jews plaese to represent...

Totally underrated imo, Blue Collar is one of my favourite films
    and "Have You Ever Seen The Blues" by him on Chisa is

b

• Phillip Seymour Hoffman

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Isaiah Washington
    Charlotte Rampling
    Giancarlo Esposito
    Jeffrey Wright
    William Hurt

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Maggie Cheung

I'll also put up with shit movies if Rosario Dawson is in it.

As far as directors, I'll always keep up with Spike Lee.
    ====
    There's a lot of Hollywood stuff I just flat out avoid, period. I tend to go more towards indie, documentaries, and Asian films.

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts

I heard he auditioned for the lead character in either Mean Streets or Taxi driver. Obviously didn't get it, but supposedly Scorcese said he liked him and really wanted to work with him sometime.

Massive co-sign on Turturro!

Also Bill Murray of course, Johnny Depp is still a favourite and Jon Voight is also fantastic but i haven't seen him in anything for years..

/L

• Don Cheadle
    Jeffrey Wright
    Laura Linney
    Gary Oldman