Favourite Sax Solo

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
After all these years, I still love the one from Gil Scott-Heron's "Home Is Where The Hatred Is" from the "It's Your World" set. Bilal Sunni Ali is MAW copped the end of the solo for "Moonshine" but the whole thing is really intense.Care to share?

Comments

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    cant really think of anything right now. but most solos on the mulatu records! what kinda sax is that anyways? baritone?

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    Tom Scott "today"

Also i really like Brotherly Loves "whole lotta you in me" where Grover Washington JR plays a fine sax

/L

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    After all these years, I still love the one from Gil Scott-Heron's "Home Is Where The Hatred Is" from the "It's Your World" set. Bilal Sunni Ali is

MAW copped the end of the solo for "Moonshine" but the whole thing is really intense.

Care to share?

Nice reference to "Moonshine." I haven't heard that song in years, and I remember the day I realized that the snippet was from "Home Is Where..." and it was a eureka moment.

The first thing that I thought of when clicking this thread was the first solo from Coltrane's "Syeeda's Song Flute" so I guess that's what I'll say.

• I think it's Booker Ervin's solo on "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" on Mingus Ah Um, where he gets all breathy and quiet about halfway through. Probably my favorite sax moment ever.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    hands down, john coltrane "transition"

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I can think of a lot of jazz, but the first thing that came to mind is Dick Parry's solo at the end of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond: Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V", especially as it fades.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Coltrane's entry on "Round Midnight" off the album of the same name by Miles

"Born to Run"

jk

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Eric Dolphy "Status Seeking" one of those breakneck, fast as lightning things....sounds like a mad scientist saying everything he knows at once. Really left a mark on my brain the first time I heard it.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    one song came to mind when i read the title. "the creator has a master plan"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• i like my sax solos 30 seconds and under. like so

the dells - oh what a nite

• montymonty 420 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

MY FAVORITE THINGS - LIVE

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    Tom Scott or Gary Bartz got shit locked for me...

• per0per0 153 Posts
    Soul Power 74