fixing warps

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I recently dropped a little bank on a 45 that was WOA (warped-on-arrival). Its real slight, but enough to make it unplayable. The seller said he'd exchange it for me, but he's based overseas and rather than wait a month to finally see another copy at my door, I'm wondering if anyone knows any tricks of the trade that'll absolve this said problem w/o the hassle.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It's not easy. I've never been able to do it with any success.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    can't I just put a cinder block on top of it for a day?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    can't I just put a cinder block on top of it for a day?

It definitely won't work for a day - or even a week. I've tried. I've been told several months can work, but it seems like trouble. The guys who have done this with success use heavy sheets of glass and heat the record up and let it cool.

I'd just let the guy send you another copy.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I'd just let the guy send you another copy.

So it is written...

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    I put 2 unplayable 45's with a few heavy books on them, and one under so they werent getting crushed into the floor, intending to leave them there for a few weeks. Totally forgot until cleaning a few weekends ago (which is almost 6 months later).

Both of them are totally flat and playable now- so i guess just leave them as long as it takes if you reall want it done?

• or theres always that technique that you can do on a very sunny day (and you couldn't have picked a better time of the year with this record-breaking heatwave going on right now)... what you do is take a turntable outside (this is why you have a portable anyways, right?) and leave the record spinning (not with the needle on it) for hours on the turntable in the intense sun... the combination between being in the extreme heat and the record spinning the whole time will put your record back into shape by the end of the day. if the turntable isn't spinning the record the whole time, this isn't gonna work...

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    The guys who have done this with success use heavy sheets of glass and heat the record up and let it cool.

That??s the best way to do it.
    Place the record between two sheets of glass and add some blotting paper between vinyl and glass to prevent scratches. Then place them in the oven and warm it up around 40-45 degrees Celsius. (Obviously, too much heat will melt the record, so check the temperature carefully...). Leave it there for a while and than it is finally important that you let it cool down SLOWLY.
    This procedure definitely works fine and does not damage the record, although it is some work and you should try it with some dollar bin stuff first to adjust the temperature and the weight of the glass sheets.

As far as I know, there is also a record ironing machine available for professionel use and a few shops offer this service. It is quite costly and looks like this:

• i purchased this machine.. only works w/ 12" and 10" records. Fucks 45s up. Anyone with a record worth de-warping - feel free to hit me up privately.

-jm

• Jordan - how does it do with "focused" warps - like, where the warp is in one very specific area and jumps the needle? Cheers - Jonny

• yo yo - works. still got your last piece.
    -j

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i'm not sure how putting a 45 or a stack of 45s under a bunch of books will work, since most records are thicker in the middle than the playable part.

• yo yo - works. still got your last piece.
    -j

Awesome. drop by or give me a call, been getting some stuff recently

• i purchased this machine.. only works w/ 12" and 10" records. Fucks 45s up. Anyone with a record worth de-warping - feel free to hit me up privately.

-jm

How much did that run you? Peace

- Are

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

How much did that run you?

They sell them through Music Direct for about $2000.

• doeizmdoeizm 77 Posts
    ive had some success with dewarping using the sun/glass technique. I use a piece of particle board that has a white laminate face and a piece of plexiglass. i put the record in between the 2, clamp the corners, and set it outside for 10+ minutes (depending on the thickness of the record) when its sunny and 100+ degrees out (which happens often round here).

anyway, works good on 45's but it doesn't seem to work very well on LPs...

• autezautez 404 Posts
    just put a record under about 8 textbooks on my bookshelf and am gonna see what happens after a couple weeks