rep your African record collection

troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I've been collecting this genre for about a year and a half. I love so many of the different genres, juju, highlife, mballax, afro beat, soukous, etc. The beautiful harmonys, crazy guitar effects, complex poly rhythms always leave me wanting to hear more. Let's see what some of you all found and enjoy playing. Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image Hostingand this is the back to one of my favorite african lp's. The cover is trashed but the picture is crazy.Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comments

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Nice stuff troubleman .. i fear Aleit's post but ehre are some of mine (inheritted from papa)

• That Boiro Band is top notch (and not just because I've been selling them)

My african record collection consists of a couple Fela records and Philip mothafuckin Tabane. I kept a Boiro and a Musique Sans Paroles from when I had stock...

I've got that Docteur Nico for a bit longer before it's eventual taker pops back up. Love it.

Oh yeah and Kapingbdi.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    (inheritted from papa)

Woah, lucky man. Those look amazing. How is that
    Black Affairs, and Toto Guillaume? Which one's get the most spins?

• (inheritted from papa)

A Princely collection, as I recall, no?

That Boiro Band is top notch (and not just because I've been selling them)

My african record collection consists of a couple Fela records and Philip mothafuckin Tabane. I kept a Boiro and a Musique Sans Paroles from when I had stock...

I've got that Docteur Nico for a bit longer before it's eventual taker pops back up. Love it.

Oh yeah and Kapingbdi.

Whats up man? Howya been?

• Chillin' man. Weren't you coming east?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    (inheritted from papa)

how do you know/remember this

Black affairs is on constant rotation...they have a lot of upbeat soukouss but the slow burning slightly psyched 'a world with music' is the golden track

Toto guillaume's has good varied riffs supported by some nice perussion/horn sections. Some of his guitar solos are

However by far Toure Kunda and Belles combo get the most spins. That live performance by the Toure brothers is energy packed and belles combo have some funky ass tunes (a style they call funkylypso)

The messe yaounde et ballet africains are more folwaysish recordings but the harmonies are great and in the same vein i forgot to post

I also enjoy those 45s on all sides, the 2 fiesta are more disco/moder but great tracks and that akendegue is beautiful stripped down protest music

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    wow! nice records!
    my african collection is just a handful of Fela's, a Dele Abouin LP, a Sir Victor Uwaifo 45, that Mahoumed Ahmed "ere mela mela"(a belgian 80s press at that), a couple Manu Dibango's, the 3 Mulatu reishes, and all the strut African comps...just dont see many african records round these parts

• (inheritted from papa)

how do you know/remember this

Remember from an old thread. In general, I have a stupidgood memory for things I read...I kind of refer to it as my 3rd nipple when it pops out in situations like this.

Its a great story, though...so, worth remembering.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    If anybody wants to be schooled in deep afro sounds, check out the A Man Called Warwick sessions on my website, www.waxingdeep.org

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts
    never tired of this one:

if you want to listen some african music click HERE [/b] and after on the AGORO label! enjoy. cheers

i forgot to post

me too. I forgot my og Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting I love this album too.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    If anybody wants to be schooled in deep afro sounds, check out the A Man Called Warwick sessions on my website, www.waxingdeep.org

I am taking out my notepad a dn gettinh ready for class....I need this seriously..thanks

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Someone get Ari a camera and a spliff!!!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts

The way to my african 45s...

Some of my favourite 45s left to right, up and down: Ren?? Kobena (moustique), TP OK jazz (Boma l'heure / Ngai tembe eleka), EK's favourites (Ene maa abaso), Taborda guedes (A eduarda fugiu), Sicko Appiah orch. Black santiago (Akpakpa police), d'Almeida Bluecky (assitchi), Ry-co jazz (Tumba dia n'lele), Poly Rythmo (Y??li y??li), Boya Joachim (Production), Gnonnas Pedro (Kandevi??), Gnonnas Pedro (Pt. Yhombi moniga w??zon), Les messagers du b??nin (Kou ehou issa), Amara Toure (N'niyo), Amara Toure (Lamento cubano), Am??d??e pierre (Obrou / Telegramme), Laba Sosseh (El manicero), Laba Sosseh (Recordando a noro morales), Myriam Makeba (Mansane ciss??), Myriam Makeba (Teya teya), Myriam Makeba (L'enfant et la gazelle)...

I love the hypnotic music of "Sanza nocturne". The Hi-Five has some cool tracks in a dancing mood.

This Youssou N'Dour has a great senegalese vibe! "Mambo hawaienne" by Docteur Nico is one of my all the time fav!

Zaire Folk Pop has 3 bombs inside... Never get rid of making it spin, it's outrageous... Bantu contains two great cuts, the rest is essential Sonafric and Syliphone stuff.

Love these two by Makeba, Bella bellow has some niceness inside. General Prince Adekunle has a 17' long cut wich is just incredible!

Some west indies funk selections and a Bavon Marie Marie that contains some dope african heat.

I guess this pic will hurt a few... My favs in here are of course The Ikenga wich is my best afrobeat record, Fela's Shakara (nigerian press). The Poly Rythmo has a solid funky track.

Does anyone know the "Zaire Folk Pop" LP above???

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Wow noreille cest une serieuse collection

poly-rythmo

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    Wow noreille cest une serieuse collection

poly-rythmo

Merci pcmr!

Je suis un gar??on s??rieux!

This Poly Rythmo is some really expensive shit. I suppose it's only because it contains one good afrobeat track. In my opinion it's not worth the huge $$$ it reaches when i see it on eBay. I might get rid of it one day but I still enjoy this funky number and mainly its splendid cover!

I might keep it for its cover!

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Someone get Ari a camera, a moving van, and a spliff!!!

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts

I know roight!

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    I'm not that deep into African stuff, but here are some of my recent favorites.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    This is an area I like from a surface, but like reggae seems too deep for complete exploration. That and the fact that I have not found a lot of African music in my digs. Well, there's that high school album from Seattle circa 1970 where they play African music, but that's different.

Anyone collect strictly African 45's?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I am somewhat ashamed to admit that until recently I haven't been able to get into much African music, but I've been getting into the basics kinda heavily lately (that's right, I soak in the BASICS before moving on to the raers- ). This thread is probably more for the mighty collectros who are interested in rare private press African funk recorded in a hut somewhere in the most remote areas of the motherland that you can't reach unless you ride a lion bareback to get there, but for African music beginners I'd like to highly recommend the Hugh Masekela "Stimela" album (which I guess is a cd compilation from the 90's... I dunno, I just download mp3s illegally and listen to them ). Just listening to it this morning and the schitt is nice start to finish. I've always liked Hugh's stuff since i was a child and my mom used to play albums by him and Mariam Makeba, now I'm getting a greater appreciation for his music. He gets a lot deeper than just "Grazin' In The Grass" (which even though it was a pop hit STILL is IMO).
    Listening to this "Stimela" album is doing just what good music is supposed to do- whetting my appetite for more music like it. Any other accessible recommendations are appreciated.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    rare private press African funk recorded in a hut somewhere in the most remote areas of the motherland that you can't reach unless you ride a lion bareback to get there

AWESOME