"Club Bangers w/ an organic sound"????

Comments

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Don't give me this 'everything's relative' shit, just because two people see a mountain from a different angle doesn't mean there is no mountain. You might as well say talking about music is useless entirely and i dont agree with that.

I'm not saying we can't talk about the music, but the fact of the matter is that my definition of "club banger" is based wholly on a populist reaction to the song in question, not my own personal engagement with the song.

There are songs that I think should be club bangers based on how they sound but AREN'T, while there are songs that I think shouldn't be club bangers but suprisingly are.

You're totally allowed to engage music personally and have opinions and say shit about the music, but we're talking about "CLUB BANGERS"! To define a "club banger" in any sort of personal terms is the epitome of living in a private mind garden, homie.

"It doesn't actually 'bang in the clubs,' but it bangs in my private mind club!"

The end.

-e

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    And, if it makes you feel any better, Shawnna's "Gettin' Some" is a "club banger" in Philly.

-e

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Don't give me this 'everything's relative' shit, just because two people see a mountain from a different angle doesn't mean there is no mountain. You might as well say talking about music is useless entirely and i dont agree with that.

I'm not saying we can't talk about the music, but the fact of the matter is that my definition of "club banger" is based wholly on a populist reaction to the song in question, not my own personal engagement with the song.

There are songs that I think should be club bangers based on how they sound but AREN'T, while there are songs that I think shouldn't be club bangers but suprisingly are.

You're totally allowed to engage music personally and have opinions and say shit about the music, but we're talking about "CLUB BANGERS"! To define a "club banger" in any sort of personal terms is the epitome of living in a private mind garden, homie.

"It doesn't actually 'bang in the clubs,' but it bangs in my private mind club!"

The end.

-e
    Dude don't give me this 'the end' shit, i already said numerous timse i'm not talking about my 'private mind club' or whatever the fuck, i don't know what yr mad about here. Giving me this 'populist' bullshit is some faux-objectivity. You're reading reactions differently than I'm reading reactions. I'm relating my observations of how people react to the song to what i hear in the song, you sound like you're not listening to the track at ALL.

Watch how people dance to it next time you play it, vs. how they dance to other tracks; its really noticeably different.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Emil I'm done w/ work, if you want to keep arguing about this PM me and i'll get at you tomorrow, i really don't feel like debating it here anymore and besides my presence right now is just sort of a whipping boy/"lolsuspect taste"/new guy hazing thing and zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    deej = private dancer in private mind club
    i said i wouldn't post in this thread anymore but this is the best post in this thread

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I donno if I'd call "One Thing" a club banger.

Disconnected from the club
    I know it got played at clubs and its a great song but...nah. Its not v. good dance track.

True that. Head-nodder but not a floor-filler.

How about Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra "Che Che Cole Makossa"? Shit works everywhere.

I played this at a wedding and got asked for "something more uptempo so we can dance"

BTW, I'm eating pizza, chatting to the saxophonist and tromboner as I type.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    nice. ask them when they're playing in Cali.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Cosmo, Page 1:

The song killed when I was playing it in October 2004 when NOBODY was playing it, before it had gotten radio or major club play.

Deej, Page 2:

i bet you before the track was a hit if someone tried to play it it would totally clear the floor.

AKA:

No. Step your reading comprehension game up.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    My definition of "club banger" has no relationship to "how it actually sounds." Call me crazy, but my definitions is 100% based on whether or not it "bangs" in a "club."

deej = private dancer in private mind club

-e

• Cosmo, Page 1:

The song killed when I was playing it in October 2004 when NOBODY was playing it, before it had gotten radio or major club play.

Deej, Page 2:

i bet you before the track was a hit if someone tried to play it it would totally clear the floor.

AKA:

No. Step your reading comprehension game up.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    nice. ask them when they're playing in Cali.

They just stepped out for a spliff. "Um, not for a while" was the answer when they came back in. The guy from Urban Folk just made me a pesto and truffle oil pizza.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    The inherent danger of overanalyzation of music, examples A through G.

"One Thing" would make people smile and nod their heads but its basically grooveless, one big looped drum fill.

I know its a big 'song' but its an event song - everyone likes it, because its a great song, not because its got some unstoppable dance groove. I know the Meters had some incredible tight grooves and drum work, but this entire track was based around a drum fill, its loose and a consistent groove never catches. Thats part of what makes the song so good, thats part of its appeal - but when I think club banger, I think of something that picks people up without them even noticing it, they don't need to have heard it before, even, to dance to it - it hits them on a rhythmic level. Maybe my idea of a 'club banger' is too limited. (i.e. "Big Pimpin" was a club banger, utterly rhythmic and inherently danceable. "Still Tippin" isn't, even though it was big in clubs and its a great song - the beat isn't really doing that much work, rhythmically. Still Tippin' doesn't 'bang,' its melody is sinuous.)

Well, a la "Gettin Some," yes. That song has an immediate groove to it. I'm not saying its a *better song* but it sounds like 'banger' where "One Thing" sounds like, i donno, 'pop gem' or something.

"One Thing" doesn't have a groove; its a looped drum solo. Do you really disagree with that point? It never congeals into an actual groove. And all I said was that when I think "club banger" i think of something that bangs and has some sort of consistent groove to it.

Basically I had a more specific idea of what a 'club banger' meant. Just because something goes over well in a club doesn't make it a 'banger,' at least the way i think of it. I wasn't questioning that it was a popular song at all.

I'm sayin, everybody defines 'club banger' somewhat differently, plenty of shit is huge in clubs that isn't neccessarily 'banging,' it relies on subtlety or familiarity or some sort of social recognition or its unique sound, that doesnt mean its automatically a 'banger' but hey if you think anything that is popular in clubs is a banger thats what you think. christ

I guess it has one but its very loose and largely free of any sort of comfortable pocket, its a difficult track to get people into; i bet you before the track was a hit if someone tried to play it it would totally clear the floor. I bet a lot of people would also ask about it, cuz its a great song, but its not the most straightforward 'banging' groove, no. its a weird song to become a hit.

And I'm sorta tired of repeating myself at this point

Your coming off very stubborn here, are you a really a DJ? Not to beat a dead horse, but 1 thing is a certified assmover. Also,

Nonetheless I'm the only jerk who came up w/ an answer in this thread so back on topic.

I mentioned 2 way back on page one, talking about reading comprehension,

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Cottdamn! 2 pages and all you've got is Amerie?

CAN WE GET SOME ORGANIC CLUB BANGERS IN HERE (that's Club Bangers, not pud yankers, capice?)?

That Christina Aguilera song, "Crazy In Love" etc...
    Thank God for Rich Harrison. If record companies are looking for people to bite that sound, knock, knock, let, let me in....

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    omar "it's so" for my private mind garden crub....

this thread is teeeheee

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This thread was high comedy.

Deej - you don't sound like a bad guy (nor an idiot) to me but you are REMARKABLY stubborn to the point of sounding like a contrarian for the sake of. If you don't think "1 Thing" is a "club-banger" - ok, fine. Like everyone else, I think you're wrong for saying that but personally, I'm totally fine with us agreeing to disagree. I'm sure there are songs you love that I don't but there's no need to turn it into a battle of inane semantics.

Seriously: your hyper-anal dissection of what separates "a groove" vs. "a beat" is the kind of shit that just sounds like someone who insists on having the last word even when no one else around you is jockeying for it. Andin any case, this is not Pseudo-Musicology-Strut.

To other folks: I find it rather suspect to advance an argument that "if it's not as hot as 'Crazy in Love'" it's not really a "banger." I'm pretty fucking disconnected (ask around) but I'm pretty sure "Crazy In Love" isn't simply your average "banger" but rather, one of the biggest summer anthems/bangers/hits/whateveryouwanttocallit from the last five years. Classic status, you know?

I read music news almost everyday and every time some new pop/R&B diva drops a radio song - Beyonce, Xtina, whoever, the writer inevitably asks, "will this be this year's "Crazy In Love"? That's remarkable considering the song is from 2003 and since then, I'm pretty sure there's been a few other "certified club bangers" (organic or not).

I mean, if "Crazy In Love" is the MINIMUM standard for a "club banger" then that's going to cut out a lot of songs that are hot-to-def that haven't ascended to the rarefied status that singles like "Crazy In Love" or "Family Affair" or "In Da Club" have reached. Dismissing "1 Thing" b/c it can't live up to "Crazy in Love" is a weak strawman argument.

i would just like to say that i read this thread from beginning to end 3 times and find it a whole lot more funny than little miss sunshine which i saw earlier. i don't ever read music reviews so all this fighting and high emotions over the definition of a club banger is truly next level. and the best part is there is like only one song being discussed!

i'm just a caveman in the world of Xtreme-musicology-analysis. your world frightens and confuses me

carry on please

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ms. damn told me she rushes the dancefloor when 1 thing comes on

Can we have a soulstrut meeting where we play nothing but club bangerz?

I have a serious question. I just CAN NOT get down to top 40 music that they play in clubs now. Absolutely can not! I have some friends who get down to this, but it's a serious turn off for me. Who else does not approve of the CLuB BaNGerZ especially as of late? I JUST CAN NOT GET DOWN TO THAT SHIT.

ms. damn told me she rushes the dancefloor when 1 thing comes on

yeah and i knock people over in the process! cause amerie makes come out full blast with windmill arms. they just fall over and writhe on the dancefloor to the rhythm, smiling and writhing and loving it

because it's a really catchy and easy song to dance move to

• deja vu
    crazy
    flipside
    loungin'
    galang
    most classic dancehall joints
    93' till infinity
    jiggle it

2nd post evar

hi emil

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    "One Thing" doesn't have a groove; its a looped drum solo. Do you really disagree with that point?

wrong on so many levels.

its a classic funkpattern where you delay a snare hit one 8th note. i believe it was popularised by james browns track the popcorn. those kinda patterns really fucking GROOVES! is not a looped fill or a looped drumsolo as youd like to call it. thats just crazytalk... its a break, straight up.

i associate the word groove with knockin funk patterns like that one... not some 4 for the floor shit, thats what i call grooveless!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    O-Dub - yeah I get you. I know I was being semantic. I don't mean to try to 'prove' i'm right and i understand that i'm coming off stubborn and humorless, but a few folks on here agree with me (even if they had to call me an 'idiot' in order to be taken seriously) and I didn't think what I was saying was that CRAZY but hey. I could keep arguing but THE DAY AFTER that would be kind of obnoxious. Fuck it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

i associate the word groove with knockin funk patterns like that one... not some 4 for the floor shit, thats what i call grooveless!

Soulstrut in preferring breaks to house music shocker.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I could keep arguing but THE DAY AFTER that would be kind of obnoxious. Fuck it.

Soulstrut in preferring breaks to house music shocker.

lol seems to me like are trying to keep things going, if you really don't care about having the last word then you won't respond.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    ^^^That has nothing to do w/ the argument but uh ok i'll not say anything in this thread if you prefer.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    If you get requests all night for the pussycat dolls, is that a CERTIFIED CLUB BANGER?

Pussycat Dolls is a "club banger" in white clubs, yes. That's just a fact.

If it bangs in a club, it's a "club banger." End of story.

As has been said repeatedly, "1 Thing" was and is a huge club hit that girls at both black and white clubs loved shaking their ass to.

Just because you find it "grooveless" doesn't mean the girl you're staring at does too. Music is subjective, and the best argument against your ridiculous argument is the plan fact that motherfuckers loved dancing to this shit for a long ass time.

You've said a whole lot of ridiculous shit on this board in the past month or so, but this takes the fucking cake.

-e

Isn't this the dude that just told me I would appreciate that Jadakiss record "Why" if I heard it at the clurb?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    ^^^That has nothing to do w/ the argument but uh ok i'll not say anything in this thread if you prefer.

Nah, dude hang in there.

• galang

This doesn't strike me as very organic with it's bleeps and synthesized sounds.