Maurice Clarett is F*CK*D in the Game

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
(this is a sad, sad song)

Former Ohio State star Clarett arrested with 4 guns in SUV near witness' home

Updated 8/9/2006 9:07 PM ETCOLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) ??? Police say it started with a vehicle driving erratically. Then came the highway pursuit involving a helicopter, the intentionally flattened tires, the ineffective jolt from a stun gun and the pepper spray.In the end, Maurice Clarett, the former Ohio State star running back who challenged the NFL in the Supreme Court, ended up in a police van on a city street, with officers searching the sport-utility vehicle he was driving.Officers said they found four loaded guns, including an assault rifle, and a partially full bottle of vodka following the arrest early Wednesday. On the console, a police photo shows, was a compact disc of children's songs recorded by prison inmates.Clarett was charged with carrying a concealed weapon, a felony, and given a traffic citation, and police said more charges are possible. An arraignment was scheduled for Thursday morning.Sgt. Michael Woods said Clarett wove in and out of lanes, did a U-turn on a freeway and refused to leave the SUV after a spike stick flattened its tires.The arrest came near the home of a witness set to testify against Clarett next week in a separate robbery case, Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O'Brien said.Clarett, 22, had a semiautomatic handgun under his legs on the driver's seat, police said, and they found an assault rifle on the passenger seat and two other semiautomatic handguns, including one in a holster in a backpack."We don't have any idea why he had them or what, if anything, he was going to do with them," Woods said. "But if you've got four guns in your car you're up to no good."Police said they used the pepper spray after they tried to shock Clarett but were unsuccessful because he was wearing a bulletproof vest that rendered the stun gun ineffective, Woods said.A problem with police started the decline of Clarett's promising football career. He was suspended for the 2003 season, the year after he led the Buckeyes to a national championship, because he was charged with falsifying a police report.He dropped out of school, then sued unsuccessfully to be included in the 2004 NFL draft. He was a surprise third-round pick in the 2005 draft but was cut by the Denver Broncos during the preseason.He was charged with robbery and carrying a concealed weapon after authorities said witnesses saw him flash a gun and rob two people of a cellphone in an alley behind the Opium Lounge in Columbus early Jan. 1.Assistant Franklin County Prosecutor Tim Mitchell asked Common Pleas Judge David Fais on Wednesday to keep Clarett in jail and revoke his bond on the robbery charges, noting that Clarett was arrested close to the home of Tywona Douglas, one of the people who identified him in the alley behind the bar. The judge raised the bond to $1.1 million.Clarett's attorney Nick Mango said Clarett likely could not post that amount and would stay in jail for the duration of his trial, which is to start Monday.Clarett, a high school friend of young NBA phenomenon LeBron James, did not speak to police who tried to interview him at the station about the guns in the SUV. He declined media requests to be interviewed in jail.Police said they don't know where the guns came from or where Clarett was headed or coming from in the SUV, which Woods said was registered to a relative of Clarett's in Youngstown. Federal agents said they are eyeing whether Clarett might have violated federal gun laws that prohibit having a firearm while under indictment.Mango, whom Clarett had not hired to represent him in the new criminal case, said he is concerned about Clarett's mental health."He's been under a lot of pressure because of this case," he said, referring to the robbery charge.Following Wednesday's court hearing, Mango said he did not have a chance to talk with Clarett about what happened overnight, but he said Clarett has received verbal and e-mailed death threats recently. He said Clarett is often in Columbus when he is preparing for his trial.Mango hoped to talk to Clarett on Wednesday evening about representing him on the new charges.Police said Clarett pulled into a restaurant parking lot after the SUV's two driver-side tires were flattened.It took several officers to get the 6-foot, 245-pound Clarett handcuffed, and he kicked the doors of a transport vehicle as he was being taken to city police headquarters, Woods said.A partially full bottle of Grey Goose vodka was found in the SUV, but no breath test was administered because police had no indication that Clarett was intoxicated, Woods said.As a freshman, Clarett scored the winning touchdown in the second overtime of the Fiesta Bowl against Miami to lead Ohio State to the 2002 national championship, the school's first since 1968. It was the last game he played for the Buckeyes.He plans to play for the Mahoning Valley Hitmen, one of five teams in the Eastern Indoor Football League. The team, based in Youngstown, is to begin play in January.Hitmen coach and owner Jim Terry said there was no indication that anything was wrong when he spoke with Clarett by cellphone early Wednesday morning about the team's upcoming tryouts. The call was dropped around 1 a.m. and Terry missed Clarett's second call about an hour and a half later, which would have been near the time when police said they saw Clarett make a U-turn.The arrest will not affect Clarett's status with the team, Terry said."We gave him a chance and now we'll wait to see what happens," he said. "I've seen far worse situations than this."(Source)

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Very sad. Dude is str8 crazy. What happened? Drugs?

• mallardmallard 452 Posts

just stubborn. definitely don't think there's any drug involvement. he's just wanted everything his way since the fiesta bowl (and before that really), and continues to dig his hole deeper and deeper. basically, i think he could use a hug.

edit: although, espn is reporting that he used to take "goose breaks" when he was trying out for the broncos. so, maybe there is some substance abuse, but i honestly believe he'd be a solid dude if he didn't have his head halfway up his ass.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i hope Marcus Vick sees this story, he's headed down the same path. Sad.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

just stubborn. definitely don't think there's any drug involvement. he's just wanted everything his way since the fiesta bowl (and before that really), and continues to dig his hole deeper and deeper. basically, i think he could use a hug.

edit: although, espn is reporting that he used to take "goose breaks" when he was trying out for the broncos. so, maybe there is some substance abuse, but i honestly believe he'd be a solid dude if he didn't have his head halfway up his ass.

He needs some serious help. Part of his problem was that he was young and listened to all the wrong people and got caught up in his hype. He was not ready for the NFL after one season when he left several games with stingers and other endurance-type issues. Jim Brown was probably GOAT on the field, but he is not such a good source of career and/or legal advice.

Basically every time you think he has dug far too deep a hole to climb out of, he just keeps on digging. As a big OSU fan, he has slowly turned from a boon, to an annoyance, to an example of immaturity, to a disaster and now I just really pity him. I wish him the best, but a long stint in jail isn't the help he needs.

by the by...

On the console, a police photo shows, was a compact disc of children's songs recorded by prison inmates.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    by the by...

On the console, a police photo shows, was a compact disc of children's songs recorded by prison inmates.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    that he used to take "goose breaks"
    What is a goose break?

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    they said dude had a 'water bag' that he carried with him everywhere and would go on "goose breaks" aka HE HAD A BAG FULL OF GREY GOOSE HE WOULD DRINK DURING FOOTBALL PRACTICE

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    they said dude had a 'water bag' that he carried with him everywhere and would go on "goose breaks" aka HE HAD A BAG FULL OF GREY GOOSE HE WOULD DRINK DURING FOOTBALL PRACTICE

it was rather comical to see the half full bottle of grey goose in the middle of the parking lot with the collection of firearms...they kept showing them and i was like damn! he fucked up the money.

i feel like i can relate to him though because i used to keep liquor in my locker during basketball games in college and i've had my share of run-ins while driving.

i didn't read that whole article above, so forgive for repeating thangs...but i heard that he prevented a friend from committing suicide the night before.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    by the by...

I know, my first thought was GET THEE TO A WAXIDERMY!

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    the report here in Cleveland this morning is that this incident happened a couple of miles from the residence of one of the main witnesses for his armed robbery charge...dude was trying to shutup/ shootup a witness....

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    the report here in Cleveland this morning is that this incident happened a couple of miles from the residence of one of the main witnesses for his armed robbery charge...dude was trying to shutup/ shootup a witness....

Read up on your read ups. ^^^^^^^^^^

and take caution when you do. i don't know if being a couple miles from a main witnesses house is incriminating. dude was still in CO.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Did Clarett borrow money from Suge Knight?

From allhiphop.com rumors page:

A RAP MOGUL TRYING TO GET CLARETT?

Anybody heard about former pro football player Maurice Clarett? The police pulled him over and allegedly found three handguns and an AK-47 assault rifle inside the vehicle he was driving. I heard he's being pursued by a certain mogul that wants his dome on a platter. Why? I don't know much about this, but apparently somebody wanted him dead due to a large sum of money. I heard it all stems from a loan from said mogul. Now that the police have Clarett in custody, he's facing some serious time after a long string of mishaps.

A RAP MOGUL TRYING TO GET CLARETT?

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts

and take caution when you do. i don't know if being a couple miles from a main witnesses house is incriminating. dude was still in CO.

yup being a couple of miles from a witnesses house is not incriminating.....the question is what else comes into play when it comes out as to why he had the weapons and the vest on and where was he headed prior to deciding to elude the police? being near a witness may have been a coincedence..lets see how it plays out

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Doesn't this sound deja vu? Anyone remember Lawrence Phillips?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Anyone remember Lawrence Phillips?

WEST COVINAS FINEST!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Anyone remember Lawrence Phillips?

WEST COVINAS FINEST!
    Like Stacks said, Deja Vu.

He ran them kids over around this time last year.

Sad.

• Mango, whom Clarett had not hired to represent him in the new criminal case, said he is concerned about Clarett's mental health.

(sorry)