anybody on soulstrut buy c.d's?

2»

Comments

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    I've come around to liking CD's quite a bit but don't buy too many 'new' ones

that said every promo I've ever got has been a CD, going on 40+ easy

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i buy vinyl and cd's about equally. in the late 80s and early 90s, i thought it was gonna be another half-assed format that i wouldnt like as much as vinyl, but in the final analysis i see nothing wrong with it. at least you can get to your favorite track a.s.a.p. (unlike any form of tape), and its good for continuous background while youre working or whatever.

and another thing: i LOVE the fact that i can resequence a CD and change the order of the track selection. you cant tell me YOU never bought an album that had a few dud tracks...like ive always said, a resequenced CD can turn a two-star disc into a five-star with a few touches of the "program" button

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    I buy CDs all the time. Mostly early jazz and blues stuff.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

some from my collection

please note the ones on the down-right corner

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i dont buy cds.

namely for the aforementioned degradation factor. I had numerous first generation type cds that would skip like fuck for no reason, other than the fact that they were over 10 years old.

i sold off about 95% of my 400+ cds a couple years back, bought an ipod and just digitised everything.

fuck cds

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I buy cd's and reissues because I'm to cheap for O.G.'s. Uh, I better go back to lurking now.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    i dont buy cds.

...I had numerous first generation type cds that would skip like fuck for no reason....

fuck cds

have you tried to use a different cd-player ? 70 % of the times, the skipping problem comes from the cd player.......

and abt your final remark, please don't try to make love to a cd, cause I guess it seems painful....

have you tried to use a different cd-player ? 70 % of the times, the skipping problem comes from the cd player.......

word .. skipped in my discman, in my home player, in my computer, in the computers at the office.. etc etc... when it skips like fuck on every player i can put it in and i see no real scratches then you know something is up.

its not the cds themselves that deteriorate its the final coating that they use to seal the the surface.. this has a proven shelf life of approx 15 years... doesn't mean that the cd will just blow up after that but it means that once that coating goes the disc is much more susceptible to glitching and errors, and eventually you'll start to notice drop outs in the disc ie hold it up to the light and you can see holes in the disc.

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    CDs have been around since late 80s, so according to your theory, millions of cds out there have already died and gone to data heaven.

It's not a theory, it's a fact.

How does data "break down"? Is there some kind of degradation that occurs that slowly corrupts the data? Not likely
    Likely. There are a number of studies on this. Want me to google for you?

Digital data is the closest technology has come to permanence - it exists without the medium, whereas with LPs, the data is the medium. Trying to argue that vinyl is more permanent than CDs is just silly...
    Are you just stating that or is that directed at me because I never said that, but since we're here, here's a scenario. Mad Max times now, or desert isle shit. You got no power, how you gonna play your CD? At least with a record, all you need is a needle. Amplify it with a palm leaf or something. You could go all professor on that shit.

It's not the data but the chemicals on the cd that break down over time (15 years is what i've heard)

The library of congress will only accept vinyl for archiving copyrighted audio media, because it has shown to be the only format that has proven to last permanently with proper storage.

Take care of your records and they WILL last forever. Keep your needles fresh and clean, brothers.

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    i buy tons of cds............

.....But mostly the type that come on a spindle.

I love cds and they have served me well for many many years...But mabye its almost time for a medium that can do digital audio at something higher than 16 bit.

Im pretty sure this would silence alot of the analog dudes as you really cant get a good grasp on how far digital audio technology has come when all you have to play the music on is technology that basicly dates back to the 80's.

I would love to see some new format of a higher quality become widely accepted, but i dont think its ever going to happen. After all, if thats what it was really about....records sounded pretty good!

It is a little strange though to have people making music on these 196k systems, and then smashing the mixes back down to some 44k mastering job.....Not that it really bugs me that much though..im no audiophile.

MP3's forever!!

Superaudio CDs seem very impressive, I haven't heard them myself but supposedly they have all the advantages of cds (silent silence and lower levels being more audible), and vinyl (crisper highs and warmer feel) combined.

superaudio cds

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    i cop cd's for the mainly for the whip. all this bullshit on the radio be giving me a headache.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    It's not the data but the chemicals on the cd that break down over time (15 years is what i've heard)

I was just goofing, but I knew there was something to it. That makes sense. It's not the data that degrades, it's the data carrier.

The only CD I've baught in the last 5 years is the DJ Rels, which I've listened to maybe 5 times. I've burned hundreds of test mixes of my tracks though. I need an ipod for that.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    wow, am I the only one that buys CD's cause some music made after 1990 seemed to come in this genre only.

Folks there is still great music being made and if y'all consider yourself to be fans of "good music" you may want to look into listening to it

Big Stacks:[/b] It's threads like this that make me think you were right about this being commodity-strut

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    wow, am I the only one that buys CD's cause some music made after 1990 seemed to come in this genre ony.

cd is the new hot genre! its up there with hip hop and smooth jazz

wow, am I the only one that buys CD's cause some music made after 1990 seemed to come in this genre only.

Folks there is still great music being made and if y'all consider yourself to be fans of "good music" you may want to look into listening to it

screw that..i buy vinyl that's it.

if something only came out on cd then that shit is getting downloaded / burned

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Big Stacks:[/b] It's threads like this that make me think you were right about this being commodity-strut

Well, I get LOADS of CDs ALL THE TIME... they get listened to far more thoroughly than the records these days, cuz I can listen to them everywhere...

I just didn't think it was interesting enough to write about

I almost always get them used or as promo's gratis though, I guess I am a lot more liberal about dropping loot on vinyl than discs.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

screw that..i buy vinyl that's it.

if something only came out on cd then that shit is getting downloaded / burned

But then it's on CD right?

I collect records, but I still buy CDs. Like someone else said, they are not as interesting to me as LPs, but I like to have the music in different formats, and CDs are a convenient format.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I collect records, but I still buy CDs. Like someone else said, they are not as interesting to me as LPs, but I like to have the music in different formats, and CDs are a convenient format.[/b] .

absolutely true.

i'll buy CDs from time to time. but when you buy the actual CD and not a burned one, you appreciate it more and consequently listen to it longer. atleast that's how it is for me.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    There's a lot of re-issued albums which have extra tracks that were never available before, like the James Brown CDs (Motherlode, In The Jungle Groove etc). The Hot Pants CD has the full unedited 20 minute version of Escapism too - that was never on vinyl.

So for that reason, CDs are cool with me.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I collect records, but I still buy CDs. Like someone else said, they are not as interesting to me as LPs, but I like to have the music in different formats, and CDs are a convenient format.[/b] .

absolutely true.

i'll buy CDs from time to time. but when you buy the actual CD and not a burned one, you appreciate it more and consequently listen to it longer. atleast that's how it is for me.

Yup. Plus I like the free giveaway CDs that mags like Mojo give out....I understand the idea though that if you collect records that the disposable money goes to LPs and nothin but, so no answer is wrong in a thread like this. Lately, though, I have been hitting the CD racks when I can't find intresting vinyl, so consequently my CD purchases have been up(been a bit dry in my world). And like vinyl, I prefer my CDs used, rare AND cheap.