The One of These Records Is Not Like The Other Mom

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
ent...See, my midweek finds post about finding Willie Henderson-The Master sandwiched in a bunch of John Denver records got me to thinking. What are some of yalls weirdest discoveries of an out of place record inside a collection records? One of those moments when you were like this little dude:

Comments

• an Ex condition "Synthetic Substitution" in a box full of VG- country, folk, and rock 45s

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    That's a damn good one. Did Sunburst release anything besides r&b?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    my Honky Tonk Popcorn LP was in the country section. I was happy.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    In the middle of a box of Lawrence Welk/Mantovani 45's I found an OG Exeter label Bobby Fuller Four "I Fought The Law" 45.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    What are some of yalls weirdest discoveries of an out of place record inside a collection records?

Prolly Freddie Roach 'Beans 'n' Greens' (Prestige) in a moldy pile of big band and easy listening records in a basement at an estate sale about 5 years ago. While pretty mildew-stinky, Freddie managed to resist the spores...
    Related: On a digging trip with none other than Neville C. in spring '05, I found a minty [US-release] Alexander Robotnik EP among loads of bad mid-80s country at a flea market in North Carolina.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    A couple months ago I found a copy of Franticdiagnosis next to a copy of Blair - Nightlife LP... in a big box of mid-eighties trash

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    A couple months ago I found a copy of Franticdiagnosis next to a copy of Blair - Nightlife LP... in a big box of mid-eighties trash

DAMMIT!

I found a Starpoint S/T and a Kano 12" in a bin full of Conway Twitty and Babs Streisand.

SG

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    a michel polnareff 45 and Senor Soul 45 back to back in a collection of country and big band 45s...that was strange

a couple library raers in a box of toys at a French flea market.

• last week- leon haywood - come and get yourself some in with striesand and firestone xmas garbage.

found roger and the gypsies - pass the hatchet on seven b for 50 cents at a thrift in some 80s garbage inxs 45s, ramrods-soultrain was next to it. had me wondering for a while

• New life trio on mustivec in a junk shop on the Florida coast. The only noteworthy thing I found that day, and in the middle of the biggest deposit of white hick music ever.

• at a flea about 10 yrs ago i found a mint beat bop(profile) in a box that was otherwise all classical recs. ayoooo!! it was extra nice cuz i had previously given my only copy to a friend who had been fiending for it since forever. nice when karma gets u back like that. that being said, an old guy digging in the bin next to me at a goodwill this morning pulled la clave(promo), ollie nightengale, a fatback band on perception, power of attorney and some private looking ish and would not part with any of them for any $$ amount. he had to go "look them up." gas face fur sure.

• New life trio on mustivec in a junk shop on the Florida coast. The only noteworthy thing I found that day, and in the middle of the biggest deposit of white hick music ever.

That is bizarre.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i once found a best kept secret promo with the 45 king remix in a box of 80s pop pat benaterds.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Shig is gonna blow his stack if peeps keep besmirching Pat Benatar, we'll have a Soulstrut Karaoke-off in this piece.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    so many strange finds,
    but
    3 sealed copies
    of "By Myself"
    in a Frostburg Maryland cd store

price marked $0.99 each
    owner sez
    "oh, you like that one."
    charged me $1 total for the 3

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    At an otherwise recordless yard sale, I found 3 sleeveless
    Bobby Patterson 45's on Jet Star - in a box of paberback books ...
    ... sticking out from inside a Calvin & Hobbes book ...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    At an otherwise recordless yard sale, I found 3 sleeveless
    Bobby Patterson 45's on Jet Star - in a box of paberback books ...
    ... sticking out from inside a Calvin & Hobbes book ...

good taste all around!

• so many strange finds,
    but
    3 sealed copies
    of "By Myself"
    in a Frostburg Maryland cd store

price marked $0.99 each
    owner sez
    "oh, you like that one."
    charged me $1 total for the 3

Hahah...
    One of my fave solo albums ever.

• Dandelion Wine 'Hot Dog' 45 on Sussex for 50c Aussie in amongst
    a whole lot of C&W 45'S in a secondhand bookstore,

For a dollar Aussie i found an Australian only issue of
    Gloria Scott 'Case Of Too Much Love Making' 45... Unplayed apparently,

We three Ltd 'Soul Ain't Got No Color',
    The O'jays 'Don't You Know A True Love' and a few other
    Astroscope 45's in a Salvo's store for 50c each,

2x Judy Bailey Quartet 'Colours' lp for $1 each in an antique store...

These are amongst many other lucky finds over the years.

Yesterday, for a total of $10, i found a sealed copy of
    The Match 'A New Light' lp,
    Bobby Stevens & The Checkmates Ltd 'Life' lp sealed,
    Gypsy 'Antitheseis' lp and Dakila S/T lp.... all in with a
    mixture of 80's pop and other crap.....

Was a good day.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Caesar Frazier '75 at a comic book/nostalgia shop.

45's by the Wailers (NOT "Tall Cool One," their big hit) and Zakary Thaks at another, unrelated comic book/baseball card-type joint.

Two different volumes of Pebbles in the bargain bins of two different chain stores. At both places, the man behind the counter asked me what that was I was buying.

An album by white rockabilly guy Sonny Burgess at a black-oriented record store in the 'hood. The lady behind the counter asked me playfully what a nice black guy like me was doing buying a record like THAT. My retort was, "what are YOU doing SELLING it?"

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    2 phillip cohran 7"s in average thrift store fodder, where 45s were grouped alphabetically in oversized ziplock bags?

that. and finding a couple of bollywood osts in the middle of a bunch of metal records at a garage sale hosted by what seemed to be a gathering of elderly caucasian women.

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    about a month ago i found a nm og dansers inferno amongst a PALLET full of classical lp's..actually my girl handed me the stack that i found it in....this was after she had already patiently waited while i looked through maybe 60 crates of mostly crap in a hot wharehouse...we had a nice dinner fish dinner that night.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Lee Gagnon jeremie sitting in a pile of 80s wackness at a community garage sale.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    A barely played copy of Marcos Valle "Samba '68" stashed between an eclectic mix of soundtracks...on a randomly spotted garage sale setup next to a mexican joint on my way to Amoeba Hollywood. Most likely from a radio station collection or something as a few records had the "radio promo" sticker on it. It cost me a quarter, and the lady said "yea, i've got thousands still more in my thrift shop that i'm about to close up!". She gave me her business card, my dog chewed it up, and I was sad for about 2 weeks, not being able to reach her.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Mint Re-Creation Of The Gods in a box full of swing and dixieland LP's.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    The best unexpected find I ever made is

RAY & HIS COURT LP in stone mint condition!!!

It was lost in the dustiest crate I ever met. The crate was composed of shitty french accordion & cheesy hammond records, all in very poor condition...