Real World Moves vs. Digging

Comments

• with this 100%.

I've said this before on here, but at this point, time is a greater commodity than money. So, I would rather pay more for things I like (ebay, boutique shop) than go through the same six stores for the same shit they've had for months. I don't hesitate to buy nothing, either, as I'm also in a 'less crap is more that I actually listen to,' phase.

Also, less time I spend digging is currently equating to more time at a job I love. So, I can rationalize that without a moment's thought.

Sometimes I get jealous of the folks on here who find a Har You Percussion Group for $1 at the Goodwill- and, then I go to a couple Goodwills and see Elvis, Babs, the Divine Miss M, and all the usual suspects. And, I'm reminded that it is a gorgeous day, my lady is bored, and i'd rather sit at a bakery eating scones and drinking coffee with her.

i may not get that har you lp...but, i choose my saturdays instead.

damnit i didn't get the har-you for a buck!!! it was $30.

Sorry, man. I'll trade you $40 for it!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    After going M.I.A. from records for a month, I've definitely seen my desire to purchase them decrease. It's a good feeling, though. It's also allowed me to awaken other things I used to have serious interest in that also beg of my time and/or money. The first thing I used to do every 1st of the month was get back on the hunt. Now I'm seein' my loot stretch a bit further. I'll still buy something nice every now and then and scratch it off the wantlist. But, for the most part, I'm through nickle and diming my sh*t away on records I don't really have that much love for. Grown and sexy collectro moves.

Edit: As a result, I've been rediscovering all kinds of records that I already have which may have been a bit neglected. One of the best feelings in the world for me is wanting to hear something specific and being to flip right to it in my collection. I'm just enjoying appreciating a lot of what I already have.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    So gradually over the last few years I've been diggin less and less while my "real world moves" have only increased. At the same time my disposable income has grown.

I want records, but my drive to pursue them is waning. I'll know a store got new shit, but then I'm looking outside and it's a nice day and my desire to get dusty is non-existant. I'd much rather get out side or do shit around the house or whatever.

The thrill of the hunt is gone.

Not only that but I'm barely listening to my records at all strictly because my lack of time to do it.

Am I in a " Mid-life digging crisis"?

Anybody else in this phase?

I'm not TIRED of buying records, but then again it was never an "either/or" situation to me. I like digging records same way I like watching good movies or seeing some good live music or hanging out and hustling with my friends. Just 'cause you like looking for records does not mean you exclude everything else. You just put the shit in its perspective, then you go do what you gotta do. No sense in doing these mental cartwheels over it.

No offense to Nate, but I've noticed every six months or so, somebody posts a "to dig or not to dig"/"gee, I'm gonna stop buying records forever" message, as if we're supposed to feel guilty for owning all this vinyl. It never fails.

Nate here is talking about getting out and enjoying life INSTEAD OF looking for records.

I'm all about getting out and enjoying life ALONG WITH my records.

If there's nothing in the field you wanna get, then just don't get it. It be's that way sometimes.

You're supposed to consume the records. You don't let the records consume YOU.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    If you are not "digging", then you will always be following record collecting trends based on the tastes of others. Period.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    If you are not "digging", then you will always be following record collecting trends based on the tastes of others. Period.

"I'm diggiin' through the ave. tryin' to see some good
    But everythang is still the same in my neighborhood
    Diggas frown when you up and smile when you down
    And when you change for the better shife fools stop comin' around
    I see the jealousy and hate, the wicked ways
    We all lost children, pray for papers, and diggin' our lives away
    Got to the point where I could not decipher day from night
    She say she love me but all we do now is fuckin' fight
    My conscience fuck with me so much I can't eat or sleep
    The other side is sellin' wax and out there runnin' the streets
    And even though I'm gaining i-fame comin' from this record game
    Lustful thankin' and compulsive drankin' is a normal thang
    Some get erased and misplaced tryin' to win the race
    Some try to hold on to there place by diggin' with grace
    But see vinyl and acetate ain't gonna change the hood
    I'm smokin' skunk and poppin' the truck to make me feel good."

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    So gradually over the last few years I've been diggin less and less while my "real world moves" have only increased. At the same time my disposable income has grown.

I want records, but my drive to pursue them is waning. I'll know a store got new shit, but then I'm looking outside and it's a nice day and my desire to get dusty is non-existant. I'd much rather get out side or do shit around the house or whatever.

The thrill of the hunt is gone.

Not only that but I'm barely listening to my records at all strictly because my lack of time to do it.

Am I in a " Mid-life digging crisis"?

Anybody else in this phase?

hello Nate!

try stepping out of those things for a while, let yourself go and make moves in the real world, completely shut yourself off from anything else related to your passion for music.

cuz i think most of the time, you really DO love diggin and finding music, its just the amount of time you've spent on it worn you out.

Let it go for a while, dive yourself in something totally different, and keep yourself happy. eventualy, i think you will miss diggin and going reocrd shopping again, and you will enjoy it even more then!

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

If somebody recommends me a good record because I don't have the time to look, I'm not going to be mad at that.

• After going M.I.A. from records for a month, I've definitely seen my desire to purchase them decrease. It's a good feeling, though. It's also allowed me to awaken other things I used to have serious interest in that also beg of my time and/or money. The first thing I used to do every 1st of the month was get back on the hunt. Now I'm seein' my loot stretch a bit further. I'll still buy something nice every now and then and scratch it off the wantlist. But, for the most part, I'm through nickle and diming my sh*t away on records I don't really have that much love for. Grown and sexy collectro moves.

Edit: As a result, I've been rediscovering all kinds of records that I already have which may have been a bit neglected. One of the best feelings in the world for me is wanting to hear something specific and being to flip right to it in my collection. I'm just enjoying appreciating a lot of what I already have.

Drewn, I've really dug your thoughts on digging/record re-evaluation recently, starting with the eBay Fast thread. Its been some of the same thoughts I've been going through, articulated better than I could. I keep your post on 'digging taking up too much of your time/thoughts/money, and trying to get that back under control,' handy (paraphrase, but general gist).

I'm currently trying not to buy for a couple months. Not a super fast, but just a period of only buying things I know I'll LOVE. I plan on doing some digging in Hawaii when I'm there in a week, but that is the only concious effort I'll put into it until October. With football season starting, a wedding, and a honeymoon, it is Real World time- not Crate Diggin' time. And a DEFINITE time for some reflection and re-evaluation.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Records are awesome! Unless you are a career digger or a plain old lunatic, we all take breathers. We all grow older, BUT WE NEVA STOP DIGGIN!

• Records are awesome! Unless you are a career digger or a plain old lunatic, we all take breathers. We all grow older, BUT WE NEVA STOP DIGGIN!

I mean, as I typed that I'm sitting at work with the portable playing shit I'm previewing for a DJ gig tomorrow night, so...you know...

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I don't see things like real world vs. digging, more in terms of the internet vs. real world. It's completely useless and a waste of time hanging on the internet as much as one does while digging for me is useful as I dig for shit to sample or something to inspire me or even play when DJing. TV and the internet are clashing with my real world moves but digging isn't.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I've been taking a involuntary record-buying breather because I can't find shit in this (or other surrounding) godforesaken town(s).

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Yeah, I'll probably get back into digging more once summer's over. It's just too damn nice out and there's way too many half naked chicks sitting by my pool all day every day to justify spending a Saturday morning fighting for elbow room with a bunch of old sweaty dudes at a flea market or something.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Both.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

yeah, I'm not sure if looking for specific status pieces really counts as 'digging'

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I find time for digging while on luch breaks and on the way home from my real world moves.

If somebody recommends me a good record because I don't have the time to look, I'm not going to be mad at that.

of course... that isn't really what I mean though.

yeah, I'm not sure if looking for specific status pieces really counts as 'digging'

exactly - and of course you'll get sick of "digging" if your trip to look for records consists of checking for Montey Alexander "Rass" or Lyn Christopher and going home.

b/w

I'm really happy that a lot of people do this.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    of course you'll get sick of "digging" if your trip to look for records consists of checking for Montey Alexander "Rass" or Lyn Christopher and going home.

b/w

I'm really happy that a lot of people do this.

I can't even count the number of times I'll go out & not find shit - and waste hours doing it too.

of course I'd rather have found something raer & fab, but I actually like looking at records - it's fun.

liking records, fuckin zany concept right?

---

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    my latest thing is rediscovering all the dope dollar bin shit I overlooked when I was tripping the Rass fantastic.

tripping the Rass fantastic.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    The cost / benefit analysis would tell me otherwise. Digging on a nice summer day to me, is almost as bad as sitting in front of your computer.

Nah. Digging is what gets me up at 5:00 or 6:00am on a nice summer day, which is a good thing. I'm out and about- it takes me two or three hours to do my thing- and back home with still a few hours before most fools wake up. In the meantime I've watched the sun rise, talked to the birds, caught up with flea market buddies, bought some peaches, run a couple errands on my way home, whatever. *AND* scored some major heat for self and ebay. Can't beat that.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The realness to me is this: I still LOVE buying records. That allure has never, ever faded.

What I hate is STORING records. That, more than anything, kills my love for records, when I have to figure out how to store a literal ton of records in a space that's barely 20 square feet.

The realness to me is this: I still LOVE buying records. That allure has never, ever faded.

What I hate is STORING records. That, more than anything, kills my love for records, when I have to figure out how to store a literal ton of records in a space that's barely 20 square feet.

amen

my passion for the physical object has waned

the act of digging is exercise, employing knowledge, and a communal activity at times. the perfect artform! the perfect hobby!

does someone have a storage to lend me, though?

Just don't keep the shitty ones and you'll be OK.

Both.

AMEN

amen

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

That would actually involve having to open 40 boxes, sift, dispose.

the mental energy of even THINKING about that is already exhausting.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

That's probably the truth right there. Having little disposable income helps too!

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I fall into a slump around the summer or fall when it comes to diggin. I went a good 8 months without buying one lp from a store or off of e bay. Only because I was directing my attention towards my music and work.But this summer it has been alot more heavy for me. I've already spent a good $600 on lp's & the summer hasn't officially ended. It all comes around in a strange path of chronicity.

tripping the Rass fantastic.

FANY