Real World Moves vs. Digging

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited February 2016 in Record Collecting
So gradually over the last few years I've been diggin less and less while my "real world moves" have only increased. At the same time my disposable income has grown.I want records, but my drive to pursue them is waning. I'll know a store got new shit, but then I'm looking outside and it's a nice day and my desire to get dusty is non-existant. I'd much rather get out side or do shit around the house or whatever. The thrill of the hunt is gone. Not only that but I'm barely listening to my records at all strictly because my lack of time to do it.Am I in a " Mid-life digging crisis"?Anybody else in this phase?

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Lots of people like to eat fish but not everyone is a fisherman.

• Is the result not buying records at all? Or just "buying" records instead of "digging" for them? E.g., getting them at a store/boutique/ebay to avoid all the work.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    all you need is good slap to the face...

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I hear this. I left the Bay in 2000, and you can't dig in New Mexico. I get stuff on ebay from time to time, but I'd rather hang out with my wife and son then get hosed by the only record shop in town.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I used to subconciously feel productive by buying records. You know, like "man, i'm gonna flip this part right here" or "this will really get a crowd gully." meanwhile i had about 1000 records just like it sitting at home collecting dust while i was out buying more. I was fulfilling my need to create, by spending all my money. That aint productive at all. Recently I've been rediscovering all this stuff i already have that I never really got familiar with and actually making music. I still like to hit the shops or dive into a dollar bin, but my drive has also decreased. Serato has a lot to do with that too.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    DIGGING IS A REAL WORLD MOVE

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Is the result not buying records at all? Or just "buying" records instead of "digging" for them? E.g., getting them at a store/boutique/ebay to avoid all the work.

The last 10 times I have gone digging I've spent hours at spots only to leave with nothing or 1 LP. I just can't rationalize wasting my time like this anymore. It's one thing to hit up a new spot but a totally other thing to go to the same place and look through everything because they don't have a "new arrivals" bin.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Time to eat some gumbo and look after the children with the rest of the grown folks.

DIGGING IS A REAL WORLD MOVE

The cost / benefit analysis would tell me otherwise. Digging on a nice summer day to me, is almost as bad as sitting in front of your computer.

GASP!!!! did I just say that?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    use that extra income to go dig in a foreign country...diggin through bins and bins of unrecognizable stuff will bring the bug back to ya...its exciting!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    The cost / benefit analysis would tell me otherwise. Digging on a nice summer day to me, is almost as bad as sitting in front of your computer.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Is the result not buying records at all? Or just "buying" records instead of "digging" for them? E.g., getting them at a store/boutique/ebay to avoid all the work.

The last 10 times I have gone digging I've spent hours at spots only to leave with nothing or 1 LP. I just can't rationalize wasting my time like this anymore. It's one thing to hit up a new spot but a totally other thing to go to the same place and look through everything because they don't have a "new arrivals" bin.
    yessir
    it's also especially bad when i got to a place for the first time in a months and all the same shit is still there

• I'll buy your collection.

I'll buy your collection.

You're missing my point. That shit isn't going anywhere.

I'm trying to find the time to enjoy it and build on it while dealing with a waning desire to actually put the time in. Catch-22.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I'll buy your collection.
    REAL WORLD MOVES

• So gradually over the last few years I've been diggin less and less while my "real world moves" have only increased. At the same time my disposable income has grown.

Good for you, man. Really.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Get your Magellan up Nate Bizzy!

Nah, but really, digging for me has become more of the ancillary components to the digging experience (traveling, getting out there, meeting people) than what I actually find, because most of what I find is for sale. So if you aren't getting what you wants outta the VT, go dig elsewhere and soak up the adventure as you do it. To quote UD, on a journey to anywhere, you can draw your own map.

• with this 100%.

I've said this before on here, but at this point, time is a greater commodity than money. So, I would rather pay more for things I like (ebay, boutique shop) than go through the same six stores for the same shit they've had for months. I don't hesitate to buy nothing, either, as I'm also in a 'less crap is more that I actually listen to,' phase.

Also, less time I spend digging is currently equating to more time at a job I love. So, I can rationalize that without a moment's thought.

Sometimes I get jealous of the folks on here who find a Har You Percussion Group for $1 at the Goodwill- and, then I go to a couple Goodwills and see Elvis, Babs, the Divine Miss M, and all the usual suspects. And, I'm reminded that it is a gorgeous day, my lady is bored, and i'd rather sit at a bakery eating scones and drinking coffee with her.

i may not get that har you lp...but, i choose my saturdays instead.

If I find a Marvin Whoremonger I'll be right back in fiend mode.

• I'll buy your collection.

You're missing my point. That shit isn't going anywhere.

I'm trying to find the time to enjoy it and build on it while dealing with a waning desire to actually put the time in. Catch-22.

I know. I was just being cheeky (my offer stands though)

The world's greatest collectros don't have time to dig. I have upscale clients that spend little more than an hour a month in my shop - usually spread over 3 or 4 15-20 min trips.

They are out for the raers, they call or email to see what's in, and they don't haggle, gripe, hold, or swipe. They just stop, cop, and keep it moving.

Are you one of these dudes Nate? DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES???

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

Ditto.

use that extra income to go dig in a foreign country...diggin through bins and bins of unrecognizable stuff will bring the bug back to ya...its exciting!

Also ditto.

Time is money. It takes a lot of dedication and legwork to come up with a weekend finds post full of $1 burners. Dudes are paying for their records in sweat equity.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    I used to subconciously feel productive by buying records. You know, like "man, i'm gonna flip this part right here" or "this will really get a crowd gully." meanwhile i had about 1000 records just like it sitting at home collecting dust while i was out buying more. I was fulfilling my need to create, by spending all my money. That aint productive at all. Recently I've been rediscovering all this stuff i already have that I never really got familiar with and actually making music. I still like to hit the shops or dive into a dollar bin, but my drive has also decreased. Serato has a lot to do with that too.

i'm feeling this as well... serato changes the way you look at what you got in your own backyard.

• If I find a Marvin Whoremonger I'll be right back in fiend mode.

I remember when that was on ebay awhile back. Anybody got a link to the cover?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Yes, I don't have the time or energy for "digging" anymore--the only time I do it is when I'm out of town. Otherwise I buy online and stop by TSL and Good Records now and then. I've also gotten more aggressive about thinning out my collection--I always tried not to go much over ~1500 pieces but, damn, who even needs that many records?

• and then there are rising bills and other debts to pay off - gas prices, too...

but then those end of the summer set sales come in, ebay prices seem to be low right now, an i'll be driving through minneapolis, milwaukee, chicago, and detroit in the next few weeks

of course, the decisions are ultimately mine

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I've also gotten more aggressive about thinning out my collection--I always tried not to go much over ~1500 pieces

When you only like 25 albums ever made, that shouldn't be so hard to do.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    with this 100%.

I've said this before on here, but at this point, time is a greater commodity than money. So, I would rather pay more for things I like (ebay, boutique shop) than go through the same six stores for the same shit they've had for months. I don't hesitate to buy nothing, either, as I'm also in a 'less crap is more that I actually listen to,' phase.

Also, less time I spend digging is currently equating to more time at a job I love. So, I can rationalize that without a moment's thought.

Sometimes I get jealous of the folks on here who find a Har You Percussion Group for $1 at the Goodwill- and, then I go to a couple Goodwills and see Elvis, Babs, the Divine Miss M, and all the usual suspects. And, I'm reminded that it is a gorgeous day, my lady is bored, and i'd rather sit at a bakery eating scones and drinking coffee with her.

Word... my thoughts exactly, except that I hate my job

I've been selling off a good portion of my collection lately to fund some bigger purchases. Trying to have what records I keep at an 8 or above on the 1 to 10 scale. Most of my purchases lately have been online or through private dealers. I don't have the time to travel cuz of my job so instead I've built relationships with various sellers around the world. It's been working out quite nicely lately and I have more time to myself and more time to DJ and produce... the whole reason I started digging in the first place.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I've also gotten more aggressive about thinning out my collection--I always tried not to go much over ~1500 pieces

When you only like 25 albums ever made, that shouldn't be so hard to do.

Shied, you sound ass-hurt.

• RafaelRafael 120 Posts

Anybody else in this phase?

yep... just ride it out a little... your desire will come back... its a normal part of a rekerd collectros life... it has been true for me many times...

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    with this 100%.

damnit i didn't get the har-you for a buck!!! it was $30.