Snakes On A Plane

DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Normally, I would not spend $11 on a movie like this. But has anyone else gotten the phone call form Samuel L. Jackson BEGGING to go see the movie (you can call people from the website ). His desperation actually convinced me to wanna go see it!

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    this movie is gonna be great

and based on hype alone, i think it will beat out Pirates of the Carribean

maybe

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    The whole New Line 180 manufactured hype thing really bugs me, though.

Originally, this movie was just quietly announced, and actually was being played pretty straight. It started becoming an internet phenomenon because of the ridiculous premise and title, and the joke barrage began. Everyone was hoping for a spectacular campy bomb on the level of like Showgirls or a Uwe Boll movie.

Then New Line realized everyone was making fun of it, went back to shoot extra footage in order to increase the rating from PG-13 to R (including taking a line from one of the web parodies), and started spending cash so that stories on CNN and such spin it as like it was a grassroots phenomenon and intentionally campy from the start. It's now manufactured prefab camp (which doesn't work - camp is great because the people making it are sincere in their vision and just missed the mark greatly), and they were able to effectively take all the blog kids yelling how they made a difference and feel like they're in on an inside joke and turn 'em into their own viral marketing campaign.

It was brilliant on New Line to sculpt the hype to their favor, but sorta revolting in a way.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    It's pre-fab cult, but it's being headed by Samuel Jackson, which is what is really the selling point of this movie.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The whole New Line 180 manufactured hype thing really bugs me, though.

Originally, this movie was just quietly announced, and actually was being played pretty straight. It started becoming an internet phenomenon because of the ridiculous premise and title, and the joke barrage began. Everyone was hoping for a spectacular campy bomb on the level of like Showgirls or a Uwe Boll movie.

Then New Line realized everyone was making fun of it, went back to shoot extra footage in order to increase the rating from PG-13 to R (including taking a line from one of the web parodies), and started spending cash so that stories on CNN and such spin it as like it was a grassroots phenomenon and intentionally campy from the start. It's now manufactured prefab camp (which doesn't work - camp is great because the people making it are sincere in their vision and just missed the mark greatly), and they were able to effectively take all the blog kids yelling how they made a difference and feel like they're in on an inside joke and turn 'em into their own viral marketing campaign.

It was brilliant on New Line to sculpt the hype to their favor, but sorta revolting in a way.

I'm still gonna see this shit, though.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Yeah, I'll probably still end up seeing it because no matter how you slice it, it's still a movie with SLJ on a plane with a bunch of deadly snakes. It's just changed my motivation from "looking forward to seeing a modern day Ed Wood film" to "looking forward to being drunk off my ass with a bunch of other loud idiots on opening weekend".

I think I just find the whole process fascinating, and wonder if it'll mean that we'll see more "intentionally" camp films in the future. Or seeing movies be that more vulnerable to being changed due to public opinion beyond test screenings.

• Yeah, I'll probably still end up seeing it because no matter how you slice it, it's still a movie with SLJ on a plane with a bunch of deadly snakes.

this is going to be great. I'm counting the days until it comes out... maybe one of those SLJ phone calls a day will keep me going