Bermudian little dude needs help with digging trip

tayoisnttayoisnt 17 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
firstly, i'm a longtime lurker on the strut, it's an amazing resource for people jammed up on 23 mile long islands 400 clicks off the coast of NC, whose only real opportunity to dig is on the 'bay and during vacations with whoever the woman is at the time. obviously, digging options are dumb limited and suck wild chode.that said, being as i'm currently single and making a bit more cake than in years past, i'd like to give myself an official digging/record copping trip as a birthday gift for my 24th on September the 8th. googled the date along with east coast hubs, and found the following:http://www.izzymusic.com/record_shows.htmit's a record show in Greater New Jersey on the 10th, Izzy's to be specific. was wondering if any of y'all had any experience with this particular crowd, and whether or not it's worth a plane ticket. now, the convenience factor is serious, 'cause i could just stay in the holiday inn it's being held in for the duration, and not have to worry about lugging the records any further than to and from the elevator shaft.so. the question is, is this a show, or ?worth the time, or should i just do my usual float up to toronto and burn through the spots there for a few days? which would y'all reccomend?thanks in advance.PS as a testament to my, um, supposed legitimacy, here's a relatively recent beat i put together. hope this shows i will but the to be copped jawns to good use.http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=F10C876A64A3C936

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Try to hit up Dakar or some other Jersey/PA diggers...maybe Noz?

I'm on the west coast and if you ever come out to Cali, holler.

Glad to see some Bermudan digger representin', props!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    dumb limited and suck wild chode.

i literally fell out of my chair laughing when i read that.

oh shit yeah, more plaese...

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Sorry for the hijack, but...Ever find the Invaders LP in Bermuda?

• heh. apparently, certain nuances meant to be entertaining still translate poorly through typing. as such, for what y'all believed to be wild sincerity, i'm dumb remorseful.

thanks for the help on the dudes to reach out to for more information, will check 'em.

and naw, never run across the invaders lp, despite being obsessed with it for about 5 years or so. have picked up a few of the happening jawns(really loose funk band with psychy moments), pretty much all the strollers albums(a tourist band, cliched islandified covers of pop tunes with at least spots of brilliance per album), and about 8 or 9 one off prints of different bermudian folk artists, like Magpi, John Irvine, stuff like that.

the bermudian recording industry has never really been particularly active, but in the early 60's to mid 70's, because of the dominant tourist industry and as such the increased number of entertainers, there were a gang of cover bands with a bunch of mathis/dionne style front people. pretty dated sounding stuff largely, but there are some good tunes/breaks and such buried on most of 'em.

so, anyway, um, any hints on digging in the springfield, nj area and whether or not the izzy's jump off is worth a peep would leave me crazy appreciative.

ahem.

deuces.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Hey there... I believe I've sold you some records over eBay before. NJ / NY is a GREAT place to come digging. Just bring plenty of cash!

It's been a lonnng time since I hit that Springfield show. It's probably the same cast of characters as Lancaster / Allentown. In that case, it is hit or miss. Get there early.

Honestly, you should go to NYC. Wait for an FMU show. The next one is probably in November. Lots of great records at premium prices.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    pretty cool beat , are those the barry white drums?

toronto is ok for records if you have the cash.... hit or miss.

• raj, yup, sure did cop records from you in the past. appreciate it dude, you really are getting credited in my next set of liner notes. thanks for the info. hm. y'all definitely have me re-evaluating my options. the big plug for me and the jersey show is the date and it's location. can stay in the same hotel, be there as soon as the doors open. plus, after some googling, springfield seems like it has gangs of dope spots in the general vicinity. but, if a certified big dude reccomends the fmu jawn, might gotta wait on it. thanks, homie.

catalist - thanks for the info and the props. naw, those aren't the never gonna give you up kicks. they're actually from a new york rock ensemble break, bitcrushed to all hell, for that faux sp 12 ringiness. main loop is john handy, can't remember where the other stuff is from off hand. thanks again. deuces.

• coldcutscoldcuts 388 Posts
    I've attended the Springfiled show a few times and like Raj said, it's hit or miss. I hear what your saying about the convenience factor but I think they're are some better options.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    I've attended the Springfiled show a few times and like Raj said, it's hit or miss.

same weekend as lancaster so,
    how far apart are they
    lancaster first, springfield second ?
    oz's records won't sell out @ 10am

tayoinst,
    ever find the ebenezer & the polka dots
    with california dreaming & elenor rigby
    ?

• bugger. thanks for the extra info, fellas. trying weigh out a fly birthday in principle, or a dope vacation/first dedicated digging trip in practice.

and naw, coffin, never have even heard of that record. hm. might have it and never did really notice it, possibly. will have a look and letcha know.

thanks again.

deuces.