What exactly is a hipster?

RafaelRafael 120 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
???

Comments

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    it's a horse that's been beaten to death.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Usually with a dickish privileged attitude to match, and a penchant for pretending to know about everything, when in reality, they know very little about anything.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Usually with a dickish privileged attitude to match, and a penchant for pretending to know about everything, when in reality, they know very little about anything.

LOL! I was just going to post that, google search "hipster" and you'll get some pretty awesome pictures.

This is on point though, and up to date.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Never heard of Parliament fags, do they got a Gauloises-coolness about them ? And do you really call them P-funks ?

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I was reading this movie review website. They had an article about Wes Anderson and started to delve into a tangent about hipsters. I thought it was interesting:

"Money is a funny thing with hipsters. They exist in a
    state of perpetual luxuriant slumming. They drink
    blue-collar beers but hold white-collar jobs. Or vice
    versa. Whether he comes from above or below, the
    hipster takes care never to appear to be striving.
    Class anxiety isn???t hip. There???s something utopian
    about the trucker hat. But of course the hipster
    couldn???t afford to dress down if there weren???t a taut
    social safety net in place. Debt relief from mom or
    dad might be just a phone call away."

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up.
    I've been asking that question for a minute.
    Now I can properly i.d this species and avoid.

• RafaelRafael 120 Posts
    Okay, got it now... my city is full of them... in my experience with them, they tend to know more about you than you do... sometimes I get fooled into believing them... if they work at any type of record store they seem to get worse... I can see from the look in their eyes that they get afraid easy so I try to calm them by speaking in a friendly manner... they still manage to piss you off by insulting your intelligence... then again its not hard to get me angry...

• Usually with a dickish privileged attitude to match, and a penchant for pretending to know about everything, when in reality, they know very little about anything.

This thing is spot on, although I might replace 'old school pumas' with 'ironic belt buckle.' Hipsters seem to really be drawn to irony, thus drinking Pabst not because they like it, and not because they can't afford better. Not even because they are trying to pinch pennies, but just because its the most tragically ironic beer possible. It is also a trend unto itself, at least in Denver. So are these majestic super-moustaches:

Aw yeah.

http://www.denver3.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=010606morningwoodlp

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

anybody else think this is a little outdated? ain't seeing too many staches around nowadays and the Trucker hat has died a grizzly death as well.

I'm not so sure being judgemental of a persons personality based on a persons appearence is exactly a good look.

Getting all uppity at people you know nothing about outside of their fashion sense and saying they're "judgemental" is a major headscratcher

• jfreejfree 18 Posts
    Of course they're done with the trucker hats and 'staches. Don't you know the rules? Once it shows up on Hipster Bingo, it's no longer ironic enough. Geeez! Hipsters gotsta keep it rill like the rest of us.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Once it shows up on Hipster Bingo, it's no longer ironic enough.

I keep hearing about this and that being ironic. What is the concept of irony about in relation to hipsters?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Hipsters are beautiful people tagged as hipster by jealous motherfuckers. That's why all you dudes cap on hipster guys but all want hipster girlfriends.

Didn't we have a hipsters-are-people-too thread a few months ago already?

--- Not PBR

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

I keep hearing about this and that being ironic. What is the concept of irony about in relation to hipsters?

It's the Alanis Morissette definition of ironic.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Appearance don't make the (wo)man, I guess I'm just having a cranky day at work.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

As in..? Take the "ironic trucker-cap" in the hipster Bingo game for example. Can somebody elaborate?

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    'Sarcastic' is really the word we're looking for.

• pfffffff!!! "FREE" is so clinton era, doggz.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

as for fashion in clothing and look , mike watt always been a trend-setter to me

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

LOL you snuck a pictue of Crink in there!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

as for fashion in clothing and look , mike watt always been a trend-setter to me

OMG

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts

As in..? Take the "ironic trucker-cap" in the hipster Bingo game for example. Can somebody elaborate?

Dudes are sporting trucker caps as a fashion statement, knowing full well that your average REAL trucker counts a weekly underwear change as haute couture, so said garment SHOULD BE deeply unfashionable. Hence the irony. Like the taches etc.

Basically stemming from identifying the least fashion-concious people on earth and wearing one of their staple items of clothing in a "Look at me, I am so cool, but yet, I am wearing this trucker cap to make me look like the coolest redneck trucker evarr. Ho Ho Ho."

Or I can tell you a story about some night in Leeds called "High Fliers" IIRC where this tramp in those ??5.99 grey plastic "Leather" shoes, with a big velcro strap (popular with pensioners as there are no laces for their arthritic fingers to deal with) tries to blag his way into the club.

The bouncer of course is having none, but when pushed for a reason by the tramp, the bouncer refers to his shoes being, well, y'know, NOT SMART (again a common excuse in the UK for refusal of entry).

So while the tramp is stood there arguing the toss, up strolls noted fashionista John Galliano. In exactly the same shoes. Walks straight in.

"WTF?" says the tramp.

"Well, he's being ironic" replied the bouncer.

Can I get a ?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Dudes are sporting trucker caps as a fashion statement, knowing full well that your average REAL trucker counts a weekly underwear change as haute couture, so said garment SHOULD BE deeply unfashionable. Hence the irony. Like the taches etc.

Basically stemming from identifying the least fashion-concious people on earth and wearing one of their staple items of clothing in a "Look at me, I am so cool, but yet, I am wearing this trucker cap to make me look like the coolest redneck trucker evarr. Ho Ho Ho."

Or I can tell you a story about some night in Leeds called "High Fliers" IIRC where this tramp in those ??5.99 grey plastic "Leather" shoes, with a big velcro strap (popular with pensioners as there are no laces for their arthritic fingers to deal with) tries to blag his way into the club.

The bouncer of course is having none, but when pushed for a reason by the tramp, the bouncer refers to his shoes being, well, y'know, NOT SMART (again a common excuse in the UK for refusal of entry).

So while the tramp is stood there arguing the toss, up strolls noted fashionista John Galliano. In exactly the same shoes. Walks straight in.

"WTF?" says the tramp.

"Well, he's being ironic" replied the bouncer.

Can I get a ?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Years old, and it still makes me cry with laughter.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    On irony.

In addition to what's been said, i think part of this comes from the phrases and symbols you find on all of the 'ironic' items (hats, shirts, belt buckles) like, "I Like Bikinis" or something like that.

i think its funny that some of these retailers are making shirts that look exactly like shirts i used to buy at Goodwill. They even fade the artwork and stuff which is pretty dumb. (insert snide comment on the "Real Second Hand Experience")

• tdotctdotc 17 Posts
    Hipster Doofus[/b]

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    a lot of you are commenting along the lines of "they think they know more about you than you do." this is the true "irony a la alanis" being brought about in this thread.

i think i'm in the wrong place.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Hipster Doofus[/b]
    fantastic

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    observe in their natural ironic habitat: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/06/fashio...&ei=5087%0A

"you see, it's shitty wine...

but we drink it any way!"

That article made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

"you see, it's shitty wine...but we drink it any way!"

For what it's worth, I didn't see anybody saying anything
    close to that in the article...or any indication it was being
    consumed in an "ironic" fashion.