LA Strutters: looking for a barber

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
Where does one go for a >$10 haircut on the Westside or down in Long Beach? My cut is crazy simple: #2 blade all around so I don't need someone who can do anything more than wield a razor competently.Throw up your spots.

Comments

• Where does one go for a >$10 haircut on the Westside or down in Long Beach? My cut is crazy simple: #2 blade all around so I don't need someone who can do anything more than wield a razor competently.

Throw up your spots.

Cholo-cuts in Hacienda is my spot, but dude sounds like you need to just buy some clippers and get crunk with 'em

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Where does one go for a >$10 haircut on the Westside or down in Long Beach? My cut is crazy simple: #2 blade all around so I don't need someone who can do anything more than wield a razor competently.

Throw up your spots.

Cholo-cuts in Hacienda is my spot, but dude sounds like you need to just buy some clippers and get crunk with 'em

With my poor hand-eye coordination? Dude, I'd probably come out looking like I just escaped the loony bin.

Sssshhhh indeed!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A8139-2005Jan13?language=printer

"Hair Cuttery Accused of Racial Discrimination"[/b]

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A8139-2005Jan13?language=printer

"Hair Cuttery Accused of Racial Discrimination"[/b]

lol !

that sounds like a great scheme ....go to Supercuts,Cuttery,Fantastic Sams etc...let them fuck my hair up... or refuse to fuck my hair up...and then sue

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Where does one go for a >$10 haircut on the Westside or down in Long Beach? My cut is crazy simple: #2 blade all around so I don't need someone who can do anything more than wield a razor competently.

Throw up your spots.

With my poor hand-eye coordination? Dude, I'd probably come out looking like I just escaped the loony bin.

If you're not trying to fade it or anything, it would be pretty hard to mess up.

Just get yourself a hand mirror to make sure you haven't missed any spots in the back.

Weekly $10 haircuts x 52 weeks in a year - cost of clippers + mirror = ~$500 of record money

• Where does one go for a >$10 haircut on the Westside or down in Long Beach? My cut is crazy simple: #2 blade all around so I don't need someone who can do anything more than wield a razor competently.

Throw up your spots.

If you're not trying to fade it or anything, it would be pretty hard to mess up.

Just get yourself a hand mirror to make sure you haven't missed any spots in the back.

Weekly $10 haircuts x 52 weeks in a year - cost of clippers + mirror = ~$500 of record money

you sound [reynaldo]finacially uptight[/reynaldo]

Dude, trust me. If there was a possible way to fuck up something as simple as running a razor over my head, I'd find a way to do it. My sister-in-law tried cutting my hair the same way and she cuts her husband's hair on the reg and she managed to leave these weird, uneven flat planes instead of a consistently round look. If she can't manage it I have little confidence that I'm gonna do it up neater. There were all kinds of spots in S.F. where I could roll. (Pilipino barbers = ace)

And I don't get weekly buzzes - more like monthly so we're really talking $120/year to look vaguely kempt. Right now, I'm rocking about 3 weeks worth of stubble plus 5 weeks of hair. I know my b-day is right around the corner but I'm looking more Leo than I really would normally intend.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    what about a weekly hair-copter, Faux?

Throw up your spots.

you sound [reynaldo]finacially uptight[/reynaldo]

I'm not saying this is a good look for me or--heaven forbid--for you, but it doesn't sound like Oliver's cut requires the skill of a professional.

But, yeah, I was about to add that this is a very slippery slope and can ultimately lead to such rationalizations as "Living in my mother's basement will mean an extra $10K a year in record money!"

• GRANDVIEW BLVD IN MAR VISTA JUST SOUTH OF VENICE BLVD.
    17TH STREET IN SANTA MONICA JUST SOUTH OF OCEAN PARK BLVD.

THESE ARE MY SPOTS.

FRESH.

Throw up your spots.

Son, what is this? A flo-bee ad?

The barbershop male grooming experience is not *just* about getting one's hurr did.

Plaese to be stepping up your straight razor and hot towel game.

Throw up your spots.

Son, what is this? A flo-bee ad?

The barbershop male grooming experience is not *just* about getting one's hurr did.

Plaese to be stepping up your straight razor and hot towel game.

I don't think people with this look:

#2 blade all around...

...really prioritize the barbershop male grooming experience.

It would not all surpise me if such person were known at times to darken the door of a salon.

Salon/barbershop/whatever. I'm just tryin' to look proper like my man:

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    GRANDVIEW BLVD IN MAR VISTA JUST SOUTH OF VENICE BLVD.
    17TH STREET IN SANTA MONICA JUST SOUTH OF OCEAN PARK BLVD.

THESE ARE MY SPOTS.

FRESH.

what's the name of the 17th street one? I'm due for a cut. I'm always a little picky though, since i have a slight fro with like 5 cowlicks

• NO NAME

JUST LOOK FOR THE MEXICANO ALCOHOLICS ANNONOMUS JOINT NEXT TO THE SPOT. IT IS JUST ANOTHER LA SPANISH BARBER SHOP. GO THERE. ITS DOPE.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    "Living in my mother's basement will mean an extra $10K a year in record money!"

NOT TRUE!

• From experience, if you are grown and not worried about every dollar, by all means head to the barbershop. I'm a "#2 on top, #1 on the sides and back guy", and I cut my own hair for a while. Or I should say I cut it w/ the help of my wife. But sweeping up hair sucks. Laying a bunch of newspaper down to avoid sweeping hair sucks. Not being able to edge up your own back sucks, and this I could never do. If $$ ain't too tight, by all means, go to the barber shop, enjoy the Playboys and FHMs, enjoy the comfy chair and get that hot towel and straight razor edge up. For the short shorn college student, cutting your own is the way to go though.

From experience, if you are grown and not worried about every dollar, by all means head to the barbershop. I'm a "#2 on top, #1 on the sides and back guy", and I cut my own hair for a while. Or I should say I cut it w/ the help of my wife. But sweeping up hair sucks. Laying a bunch of newspaper down to avoid sweeping hair sucks. Not being able to edge up your own back sucks, and this I could never do. If $$ ain't too tight, by all means, go to the barber shop, enjoy the Playboys and FHMs, enjoy the comfy chair and get that hot towel and straight razor edge up.

I. Am. Saying.

GRANDVIEW BLVD IN MAR VISTA JUST SOUTH OF VENICE BLVD.

$12 haircut.
    Oaxacan cafe next door.
    Venice Grind Coffee around the corner.

Proper.