wrong record etiquette

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I bought a 45 off of Gemm from this guy who seems to be a reputable seller. Alas, he sent me the wrong 45 - right artist, right label, wrong song. Since I've already paid for the 45, I'd like him to send me correct 45 and then I'll mail the other one back. I think this is a reasonable request. He wants me to mail back my copy of the 45 and then he'll mail out the correct 45. I don't think that's wholly UNreasonable but since this was his fuck-up, I feel like he should get on my level, yaoming?It's not like I don't trust him - I just want my $#)@ 45!What ya'll think?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    send me correct 45

I see you have mastered the language of the simply great collectro...

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    how pricey was the 45 in question?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

$60 plus change.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    On another note, a fellow stutter, who shall remain nameless, was talking to me online and I showed him a 45 that I wanted. he went and registered another name to outbid me and win the item in questions, but I found out it was the same dude. All's fair if you wanna pay more than me -- but using another name is seriously NAGL and shady like slim IMO.

not good record etiquette.

peace.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    On another note, a fellow stutter, who shall remain nameless, was talking to me online and I showed him a 45 that I wanted. he went and registered another name to outbid me and win the item in questions

Gully!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    On another note, a fellow stutter, who shall remain nameless, was talking to me online and I showed him a 45 that I wanted. he went and registered another name to outbid me and win the item in questions, but I found out it was the same dude.

I don't think this person deserves remaining nameless

$60 plus change.

He have a real storefront, or is it just some dude?

$60 plus change.

I don't know. Just curious but what diff would that make? For me, this isn't a trust issue. Shit goes bad, I can still file a claim with Gemm. But I'm not sure if it's reasonable for me to ask him to send me the correct 45 first. I'm impatient!

you have been inconvenienced enough

it does not matter if this seller has a good rep or not..... His rep with you is shit

he sends you the wrong shit and wants you to wait longer for an item you paid for in a timely manner

the only way you should even consider mailing the record first is if he is offering some sort of compensation

• not to flatten your tire but it is standard mail order procedure with any business to complete the return before receiving a refund, credit or replacement merchandise.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    not to flatten your tire but it is standard mail order procedure with any business to maintain the facade of an upper hand throughout the process of righting its own mistake.

not to flatten your tire but it is standard mail order procedure with any business to complete the return before receiving a refund, credit or replacement merchandise.

ok.... well, smash it and drop a condom in there

look... i understand what standard procedure is.. but this isnt Tower Records he bought the record from

if some dude selling records out of his living room wants to KEEP his good rep he should be QUICK to send the correct shit .....seperate himself from arrogant corporates

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    not to flatten your tire but it is standard mail order procedure with any business to complete the return before receiving a refund, credit or replacement merchandise.

agreed.

$60 plus change.

I don't know. Just curious but what diff would that make? For me, this isn't a trust issue. Shit goes bad, I can still file a claim with Gemm. But I'm not sure if it's reasonable for me to ask him to send me the correct 45 first. I'm impatient!

I see, I misinterpreted the issue. I was reading that like you were concerned about getting ripped off out of the $$$, and, in my experience, guys that rely on record sales to pay rent on a storefront, make payroll, eat, and cover their mortgage tend to (eventually) do right if they fuck up.

If you're just don't want to wait a couple extra days, tough. Seller has to cover their ass, and you know it.

• hey i'm just telling it like it is... you would be hard pressed to find a seller of anything... clothing, stamps, coins, whatever who does not process returns before finalizing a transaction. that is the way of the world in mail order and in retail. demand what you wish but most people just do not operate that way.

as for myself i do all kinds of things for special customers... discount prices, comp items, boxes on spec... but most dealers just dont have that kind of practice.

i dont get it really... just send the item back and receive the correct item or a refund. it is really that simple.

• herbalife 07541 bitch.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    herbalife 07541 bitch.

That's not very Kenny Rankin of you.

• tsmtsm 16 Posts
    eh? if i sent a wrong record out i would expect that record back before i sent the correct one to a random buyer off the internet. the buyer is more likely to swindle the seller in this situation. and i don't know anyone who has a returns policy that doesn't include said item being sent back first before being replaced. otherwise that's some backwards shit. you're just creating a situation for yourself really by not sending it back.

what he should do is cover all costs for shipping including a refund for the shipping costs you initially paid as compensation for the very small mixup.

ask yourself why would he trust you to send back the record after he sent the correct one? it would take a VERY trusting seller to do that!

end of the day it's a fuckin 45 not a diamond. send it back. problem solved. not hard.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    Man, if the seller in question is reputable I don't see why you can't return the record first + he has your money anyway and you're stuck with this crappy record that isn't of any use to you.
    Maybe he thinks you are trying to rip him off.

• I bought a 45 off of Gemm from this guy who seems to be a reputable seller. Alas, he sent me the wrong 45 - right artist, right label, wrong song.

Since I've already paid for the 45, I'd like him to send me correct 45 and then I'll mail the other one back. I think this is a reasonable request. He wants me to mail back my copy of the 45 and then he'll mail out the correct 45. I don't think that's wholly UNreasonable but since this was his fuck-up, I feel like he should get on my level, yaoming?

It's not like I don't trust him - I just want my $#)@ 45!

What ya'll think?

That isn't a reasonable request, O - that dealer (I assume) doesn't know you from jack.

It's not like the item is defective, at which point the dealer has no use for it and you're asking for the same title; presumably the dealer would like to have back the item in question so they can (properly) relist it for sale. I don't think that's at all unreasonable and, as AP pointed out, is standard operating procedure.

THanks fellas - this pretty much covers the range of opinions I was looking for.

The only thing that I felt a bit suspect about was that he claimed he MUST (his words) have sent me the right 45 because he checked his stock and said that the 45 I claimed that he sent me was still there.

I had to send dude label scans to prove that, "yeah man, sorry but it's not the right 45."

Oliver

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I once bought a record off ebay and received the wrong one in the mail a week later. The one I received was some rare latin slab apparently.
    The seller was really cool about it and sent me the right record + refunded the postage and asked me to ship the record to the rightful owner in japan.
    Beautiful!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    What ya'll think?

I think life is too short to worry about such a minor problem. Ship it back, avoid the headache and argument. When the correct record finally comes you'll have completely forgotten about this in a week.

that is the way of the world in mail order and in retail.

yeah..i know

and this is not really a big deal to me...

i'm just saying... when Wal Mart fucks up your order they send you gift certificates and vouchers and shit ...

when some dude in Harbor Lights Wisconsin sends you the wrong record all you get is a long wait ....it would be too harsh to file a complaint ...so maybe he should throw 1 annoyed customer a bone

For the record.... AP IS THEE MAN !....gave me Snake Funk for soulstrut discount!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    If you are careful about opening and re-sealing the package, can't you "Return To Sender" for free? Or does that end up charging the sender when they receive it?

If you are careful about opening and re-sealing the package, can't you "Return To Sender" for free? Or does that end up charging the sender when they receive it?

Return to sender - if I'm not mistaken - goes the slowest route available.

In any case, it's all good. I'll just mail this back and patiently wait for the right 45 to get here. With my luck, he'll send me the wrong one again.

it's all good. I'll just mail this back and patiently wait for the right 45 to get here.

i'm just saying... when Wal Mart fucks up your order they send you gift certificates and vouchers and shit ...

[rant]

Ugh, I used to hate people that would say shit like that when I worked mail order. It's fucking obnoxious as shit to think my small ass company needs to abide by some trillion dollar corporations rules just because the customer can't be bothered to put a little fucking effort and consideration into the problem. Walmart sets the bar high because they have billions of dollars to back it up.

[/rant]

Sorry, this rant wasn't directed at you.

The guy wants to do right by you. He's willing to replace it but he needs to cover his ass because there are shisty people out there who would take his replacement record and never send back the mistaken one.

Arguing over shit like this reeks of bitter-record-store-dude-attitude. Don't be that dude.

I once received a returned letter..... two years later.

just because the customer can't be bothered to put a little fucking effort and consideration into the problem.

opening my wallet takes effort and is very considerate