JANET 20 Y.O.

2»

Comments

• And I've kept an eye on her. Maybe she's more relevant to Asia and Europe's Beckys, ala Madonna?

I think gay record/ticket buyers mostly keep Madonna in business these days. Not sure if Janet's got that kind of appeal.

Please be serious.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    The reason being that it hit with the grown and sexy[/b] demographic.

Mary is tired, she's embarassing herself, and she needs to hang it up.

Maybe there's a case to be made for the idea that Mary's core audience might secretly yearn for her to be not quite so happy in her personal life, inasmuch as she can't really "sing their pain" when she's finally got herself a good man, is clean and sober and generally seems to be at one with the universe.

Well, I probably can't claim to be a part of the demographic that you have in mind when you refer to her core audience, but I'm not at all secretive about the fact that I think she made her best and most important music when her personal life was a mess. I really can't stomach her self-help guru incarnation.

Ah, OK, I see what you mean about the Oprah demographic now. I know quite a few women who are big Mary fans, and whose initial reaction to "The Breakthrough" was "she sounds too happy". That's why I think she should do a rock album or, perhaps more realistically, an album of r&b classics - quiet storm shit, that kind of thing. Just be a singer of songs for a change, instead of someone who's always expected to dissect their life on record.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

And I've kept an eye on her. Maybe she's more relevant to Asia and Europe's Beckys, ala Madonna?

I think gay record/ticket buyers mostly keep Madonna in business these days. Not sure if Janet's got that kind of appeal.

Please be serious.

I am. The only people I know that check for Madonna who are not thirtysomething gay men are women who mostly hang out with thirtysomething gay men.

EDIT: and, of course, deej.

Am I off in my perception?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    And hasn't a "Mary has finally gotten herself together" media blitz accompanied each of the last three albums? Was she lying about it the first two times, or what?
    Yeah, the songwriting and production just hadn't been this tight in awhile.
    Its interesting that people aren't happy w/ her 'satisfied' singing (I mean I assume a bunch of people must be somewhere, shit is one of '06's top selling albums, but nonetheless). I'm quite happy w/ well written and produced satisfying soul though. For albums I'd take My Life over 411 but obv "Real Love" > all. I think Breakthrough is her best since My Life.

And hasn't a "Mary has finally gotten herself together" media blitz accompanied each of the last three albums? Was she lying about it the first two times, or what?
    Yeah, the songwriting and production just hadn't been this tight in awhile.

Its interesting that people aren't happy w/ her 'satisfied' singing (I mean I assume a bunch of people must be somewhere, shit is one of '06's top selling albums, but nonetheless). I'm quite happy w/ well written and produced satisfying soul though. For albums I'd take My Life over 411 but obv "Real Love" > all. I think Breakthrough is her best since My Life.

Perhaps, but My Life is my favorite R&B album of the past twenty years (that's not such an extreme pronouncement; I realized in reading this thread that 12 years have passed since its release) so merely "well written and produced satisfying soul" is not going to be enough for me coming from the person responsible for that album.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I agree about My Life, I think. But man, if R&B has to live up to My Life how can you be anything but disappointed? No doubt you won't like Breakthrough like ML but I think if you give it a chance you'll end up getting into it, at least shit like "Hold Me Down" or whatever.

The first single didnt hit me til I heard it at a local club.

I agree about My Life, I think. But man, if R&B has to live up to My Life how can you be anything but disappointed? No doubt you won't like Breakthrough like ML but I think if you give it a chance you'll end up getting into it, at least shit like "Hold Me Down" or whatever.

The first single didnt hit me til I heard it at a local club.

I'm not expecting it to measure up to My Life.

What I'm saying is this: music that is competent but not inspired + content and a public persona that is frankly embarassing = time for the greatest female R&B artist of her generation to hang it up

I recognize that that's a longtime fan's perspective, though, and not one I can expect MJB to share as either a businesswoman or a fully actualized individual.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    uhhh but I'm saying is very inspired, thats the diff between it and the last two albums.

You don't need to hang the corny 'self-help' talk on it, the lyrics aren't awkard that way and the music sounds genuine and convincing.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    people actually listen to Janet Jackson? very very

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

beats

Kelis' album will be better than all this shit

By not that much.

Janet 6.0
    Kelis 7.0

ENJOY is a fuckin' banger.

The production has improved due to Jermaine Dupri's input.
    She still has a handful of extraneous interludes.
    I 'm so sick of her entourage meanderings to show she one of the girls.
    It's a return to form even if that form is tired.

You dont have to cop............just sayin.

Kelis is just in another realm and able to take more sonic chances.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    are there any ballads on the album? to this day, i swear on mariah carey ballads--any era. janet's "again" is awesome...anything like that on this album?

are there any ballads on the album? to this day, i swear on mariah carey ballads--any era. janet's "again" is awesome...anything like that on this album?

Yes 1 or 2 ballads. She gets over on production and "FEEL" 'cause she cant really blow compared to alot of sangers.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    people actually listen to Janet Jackson? very very

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I like that dude has a POW/MIA patch on his jacket. Never forget.