producers/writers/directors of Talledega Nights

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
..you are brilliant people and I salute you.Saw this movie...really good, dumb, silly comedy, a lot of fun....But props to knowing who a big part of your audience was...redneck, Bush-lovin' NASCAR fans and casting Sacha Baron Cohen as a gay Frenchman and making rednecks watch men make out with each other. Heard EVERY redneck in the audience groan in disgust and disbelief whenever an aforementioned scene would appear. Deliberate button-pushing, throwing shit in right-wing, meathead faces on a giant theater screen. Lovely.

Comments

• Yeah, shit is hilarious, and SBC might be the weakest link. John C. Reilly tried to steal the show. The kids owned it for me though. "You made that Grace your bitch, Dad."

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    goddamn it. i really want to see this today but my friend refuses so we agreed on lil miss sunshine.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    so we agreed on lil miss sunshine.

how was this A*****? I'm gonna go on a date tonight and see it.

• so we agreed on lil miss sunshine.

Is that the road trip movie? That one looks pretty good.

so we agreed on lil miss sunshine.

i haven't seen it yet either. show's at 7:20. i have a few hours to try to change his mind so i can get my stupid comedy fix on!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I so want to see this it's not funny.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    Not that he probably had a ton to do with this as co-producer, but Judd Apatow has the midas touch (with possible exceptions Anchorman and Kicking & Screaming).

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Judd Apatow has the midas touch

It's nice to know that he broke the "Apatow Curse." Too bad it had to take him more than a decade.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    Yeah, I love it when Hollywood sticks it to poor white trash, meathead rednecks.
    Lovely indeed.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    this movie was fucking hilarious.

"was that elvis costello and mos def?"

"no."

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Too long and drawn out.

Funny, and at times, hilarious.

Good movie, not but not "great".

Falls short of classic.

Too long and drawn out.

Funny, and at times, hilarious.

i agree. i cry laughed many times but they definitely milked those scenes and could have cut them shorter.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    But props to knowing who a big part of your audience was...redneck, Bush-lovin' NASCAR fans and casting Sacha Baron Cohen as a gay Frenchman and making rednecks watch men make out with each other. Heard EVERY redneck in the audience groan in disgust and disbelief whenever an aforementioned scene would appear.

Deliberate button-pushing, throwing shit in right-wing, meathead faces on a giant theater screen. Lovely.

Did you pat yourself on the back while in the theater or waited until exiting?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    But props to knowing who a big part of your audience was...redneck, Bush-lovin' NASCAR fans and casting Sacha Baron Cohen as a gay Frenchman and making rednecks watch men make out with each other. Heard EVERY redneck in the audience groan in disgust and disbelief whenever an aforementioned scene would appear.

Deliberate button-pushing, throwing shit in right-wing, meathead faces on a giant theater screen. Lovely.

Did you pat yourself on the back while in the theater or waited until exiting?

whatever do you mean? plaese to explain

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    I've just seen this in written reviews a lot and don't like it. (The whole "will NASCAR fans [code: their preconceived cariactures of southerners] be offended?" thing.) Like their own little holier-than-thou subculture is the only one imaginable that can laugh at themselves. (Didn't Foxworthy make a career out of peddling redneck jokes to rednecks? Hee Haw?) From my experience and from mentioning it passing from friends back home (Florida) that are as redneck as redneck can be, they just found the movie intermittently funny, nothing more or less. The people I found offended by those gay scenes were ones just uncomfortable with homosexuality to begin with, mostly teens/early 20 somethings of all stripes (including some rednecks, yeah). (I can't even begin to tell you how many folks were offended by it in Wet Hot American Summer - mostly of the "intelligestia" persuasion.) It's like people have taken their chief cues about the south from Dukes of Hazzard and Beverly Hillbillies at face value. It sorta reminds me of the people who couldn't fathom that everyone in that local news leprechaun bit were in on the joke from the start.

• I've just seen this in written reviews a lot and don't like it. (The whole "will NASCAR fans [code: their preconceived cariactures of southerners] be offended?" thing.) Like their own little holier-than-thou subculture is the only one imaginable that can laugh at themselves. (Didn't Foxworthy make a career out of peddling redneck jokes to rednecks? Hee Haw?) From my experience and from mentioning it passing from friends back home (Florida) that are as redneck as redneck can be, they just found the movie intermittently funny, nothing more or less. The people I found offended by those gay scenes were ones just uncomfortable with homosexuality to begin with, mostly teens/early 20 somethings of all stripes (including some rednecks, yeah). (I can't even begin to tell you how many folks were offended by it in Wet Hot American Summer - mostly of the "intelligestia" persuasion.) It's like people have taken their chief cues about the south from Dukes of Hazzard and Beverly Hillbillies at face value. It sorta reminds me of the people who couldn't fathom that everyone in that local news leprechaun bit were in on the joke from the start.

right fucking on dood.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i still don't understand why this movie is being labeled as this "NASCAR" movie. the NASCAR premise is just that, a premise of the movie. just as i did not see Anchorman as a "news anchor" movie. every review talking about this and that, will it offend racing fans, if you dont like car racing its not as funny. it makes no sense. its a fucking comedic movie, not a documentary...relax.

well, I dont feel as if I was being self-congragulatory..I just think it is funny that some rednecks paid $8 to watch men in nascar uniforms make out with each other, that is comedy in itself. Also hearing folks reactions to said scenes was comedy. I live in Memphis, a lot of redencks here, a lot of Bush supporters, a lot of those people at the movie...I just described my experience of seeing the movie, nothing more, nothing less.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    i still don't understand why this movie is being labeled as this "NASCAR" movie.

Built-in audience. Nascar is one of the biggest sports in America.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    (I can't even begin to tell you how many folks were offended by it in Wet Hot American Summer - mostly of the "intelligestia" persuasion.)

Man, that scene was fucking hysterical.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    well, I dont feel as if I was being self-congragulatory..I just think it is funny that some rednecks paid $8 to watch men in nascar uniforms make out with each other, that is comedy in itself. Also hearing folks reactions to said scenes was comedy. I live in Memphis, a lot of redencks here, a lot of Bush supporters, a lot of those people at the movie...I just described my experience of seeing the movie, nothing more, nothing less.

Well, that plus implying rednecks ==> homophobic in that very post, and this:

To me, it just comes off that you don't really know m/any of the dudes you're stereotyping, despite living around some. Sticks in my craw, if you will. Makes me wanna settle someone's hash. And so forth.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    Yeah, I thought it was hilarious. Both in original form, and when you watch it with the alternate soundtrack w/ extra farts. It amazes me how good WHAS is, considering that they're lampooning (in an endearing homage way, sure) a genre that's pretty over-the-top to begin with.

I have high hopes for David Wain's new comedy, Ten.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0811106/

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Nascar is one of the most boring sports in America.

Well, that plus implying rednecks ==> homophobic in that very post, and this:

To me, it just comes off that you don't really know m/any of the dudes you're stereotyping, despite living around some. Sticks in my craw, if you will. Makes me wanna settle someone's hash. And so forth.

no, I only went to school with them, lived around them my whole life, worked around them, so obviosuly I dont know who or what I am talking about...sorry if my opinion sticks in your craw, go ahead and "settle my hash". You dont fucking know me or my experiences so, whatever.

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    ...You didn't used to wear one of those "You laugh because I'm different, I laugh because you're all the same" shirts, by chance?

I kid, I kid.

C'mon
    Ev'rybody's talking about ministers,
    homo bashers, Bob Bannisters and true funkiters
    yachters and marinas and weekend finds and Roxanne eyes,
    And project blowed blowed blowed blowed

All we are saying is give rednecks a chance.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

John C. Reilly tried to steal the show.

F'real, though. Dude was straight the entire movie. "I don't understand your tactics, so I'm just gonna keep actin' tough until I figure it out!"