ever drive off with your crate on top of your car?

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
The equivalent happened to me a couple days ago, but it wasn't records, it was my chef's knives -- everything I need to get through a day in the kitchen. And actually, they weren't on my car, they were on my buddy's car. I got to look in horror as he drove off with them on his trunk. No cell phone service where I work, so I couldn't even call him to tell him to stop.Luckily, I knew his route home, and found them in the road about a MILE AWAY (it was after midnight and it was pitch black on the road). I was relieved to get them, but they had clearly been RUN OVER. Luckily, all that was broken were two vegetable peelers, a wooden spoon, a steel I wanted to replace anyway, some cheap scissors that also needed replacing, and my Japanese mandoline (the biggest loss at $30). And the knife roll itself was pretty hosed.I feel that my attempts to try to do right finally paid off with some good karma. It could've been much worse. Anyone ever leave a laptop on their car? How about your 45 case with your Manzel doubles?

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    yo i drove wit some mcdonalds on the top ofthe wip!!
    waste of money, holmes.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    as i was reaching highway speed on the access road
    from the old Crockett Center (Austin show)
    i noticed some fool had left records on the road,
    then, when i saw my record player carry bag mid air
    in the rearview mirror, i knew who the fool be
    out of a dozen rares & the player
    only the sickest john birch record (narrated by creepy john caradine)
    & a "faster pussy cat, kill kill" promo 10" were destroyed
    it was hectic
    being a one way street,
    i had to do some quick thinking/driving to salvage the rest

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    No. However, I had a friend of mine forget to put his crate IN the car! Lol. he didn't realize till the next day and it was long gone. I remember bring a platter pak of the rarest funk 45's I own one night to rock this party at a club and I straight forget them there!!!!!!!! I didn't realize for a week and a half. Doh! So why did I go back there and they were sitting in the same exact spot! Phew......... was I happy.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I left the records I bought at a show on top of my car once - only like 6-8 LPs

Didnt' realize til I got home, and drove immediately back to the hotel

It took me at least 30 minutes to return to the scene, where my stuff was just spread out on the pavement right where I pulled out, unperturbed

• not a personal experience, but aaron from the bastard jazz crew lost a slew of rare 45's of the roof of his car
    after stopping at a gas station en route to vancouver to finish off a tour.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    just one...I was all stoked to play my friend Andrew Hill's "Point of Departure" because he was a huge Tony williams fan, he had not heard that particular one and I just found it. Getting on the on ramp to the interstate and looking in the rearview and seeing it fly off and bounce on the road and another car smashing it.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Not quite, but I once got out of a cab and had it drive off with my crate in the trunk. Didn't realize it until I got up to my apt door and remembered that I was supposed to be huffing and puffing and I wasn't. Goodbye records (OG Kool & The Gang, Meters, JB's, loads of other stuff I dont want to remember). I tried to take it as a lesson in not valuing my material possesions too much...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Not quite, but I once got out of a cab and had it drive off with my crate in the trunk. Didn't realize it until I got up to my apt door and remembered that I was supposed to be huffing and puffing and I wasn't. Goodbye records (OG Kool & The Gang, Meters, JB's, loads of other stuff I dont want to remember). I tried to take it as a lesson in not valuing my material possesions too much...

Dildo: 1

Records: 0

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    the knife roll itself was pretty hosed.

I am feeling this sentence.

Never left records on the car. But I've known people who left them in the car, that is with the windows closed in the dead of summer. That's a quick way to ruin your music.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    I tried to take it as a lesson in not valuing my material possesions too much...