Marina Rock vs. Yacht Rock

Comments

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    best.thread.evar.times.a.million.of.these.dudes.right.here.

NIKE DECK?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    RECOMMENDED MARINA ROCK FLICKS

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    best.thread.evar.times.a.million.of.these.dudes.right.here.

I'll raise you, hoLmes:

• wtf is bertie higgins?

pirate rock?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

BODY HEAT

Is there a point where Beach Soul & Marina Rock cross? Or two different era's?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Wow. LOL at my Computer! 30 stars out of 5. Jay from Detroit colined the phrase "Marina Rock>' props/

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

BODY HEAT
    YES.

Is there a point where Beach Soul & Marina Rock cross? Or two different era's?
    NO.

Beach Soul (n.b.: no one really calls it that) is to Marina Rock what Jesus is to Buddhism: Not opposite, just unrelated.

Damn, a tank top, holmes?

Q: WHO HERE HAS HAD A GUN PULLED ON THEM?

A: ALL OF US.

• Addendum to Terry's points:

-Posing shirtless outdoors does not make you Marina.
    -Light blue and other pastels do not equal Marina.
    -Yachts can be rented.
    -Hardcore Mariners have their own slips and boats named "Before The Salt."
    -Yachtsmen do not have crossed oars displayed on their garage door.
    -Yachtsmen do not have nets with suspended lobsters and fish hanging in the bedroom.

Nantucket Sleighride
    Nantucket Sleighride
    Nantucket Sleighride
    Nantucket Sleighride
    Nantucket Sleighride
    Nantucket Sleighride
    Nantucket Sleighride

Nantucket Sleighride
    Nantucket Sleighride
    Nantucket Sleighride
    Nantucket Sleighride
    Nantucket Sleighride
    Nantucket Sleighride
    Nantucket Sleighride

Don't test my Mocha Dick.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Let's talk Marina TV. Frankly most marina experts agree that the genre peaked with Simon and Simon which was set in the marina-est of marina big cities: San Diego.

Marina TV has several notable characteristics. Almost all marina tv is cop/PI related. The protagonists often wore shorts and Hawaiian or Hawaiianesque short sleeve shirts. Marina TV guys spent time in Nam. Most Marina TV shows had a theme song composed by Mike Post. Marina TV guys drive sports type vehicles. Late period Marina TV featured a lot of knit ties.

Notable Marina TV series: Magnum PI, Hardcastle and McCormick, Riptide and Miami Vice (which is to Marina TV as Foreigner is to Marina rock).

A major question amongst Marina TV afficiandos is "Rockford Files, Marina or not?". Outwardly, Rockford doesn't appear marina; he lives in a trailer, he doesn't have a cheesy stache and he wears slacks even on the hottest days of the year. However, the trailer is located in Malibu, Jim drives a gold/tan firebird and the show's theme song composed by marina theme king Post oozes marinaness to its core. Rockford spent an innordinate amount of time on piers fishing with his dad, Rocky. Personally, I think its early Marina TV. In the way the James Taylor set the stage for Loggins and Messina, Rockford cleared the path for Magnum PI.

Yes or No?

• Personally, I think its early Marina TV. In the way the James Taylor set the stage for Loggins and Messina, Rockford cleared the path for Magnum PI.

So you're saying that it's Proto-Marina TV?

Five Nautical Stars for your post, btw.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Personally, I think its early Marina TV. In the way the James Taylor set the stage for Loggins and Messina, Rockford cleared the path for Magnum PI.

So you're saying that it's Proto-Marina TV?

Five Nautical Stars for your post, btw.

Thank you for that clarification.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Let's talk Marina TV. Frankly most marina experts agree that the genre peaked with Simon and Simon which was set in the marina-est of marina big cities: San Diego.

Marina TV has several notable characteristics. Almost all marina tv is cop/PI related. The protagonists often wore shorts and Hawaiian or Hawaiianesque short sleeve shirts. Marina TV guys spent time in Nam. Most Marina TV shows had a theme song composed by Mike Post. Marina TV guys drive sports type vehicles. Late period Marina TV featured a lot of knit ties.

Notable Marina TV series: Magnum PI, Hardcastle and McCormick, Riptide and Miami Vice (which is to Marina TV as Foreigner is to Marina rock).

A major question amongst Marina TV afficiandos is "Rockford Files, Marina or not?". Outwardly, Rockford doesn't appear marina; he lives in a trailer, he doesn't have a cheesy stache and he wears slacks even on the hottest days of the year. However, the trailer is located in Malibu, Jim drives a gold/tan firebird and the show's theme song composed by marina theme king Post oozes marinaness to its core. Rockford spent an innordinate amount of time on piers fishing with his dad, Rocky. Personally, I think its early Marina TV. In the way the James Taylor set the stage for Loggins and Messina, Rockford cleared the path for Magnum PI.

I need to get cable.

McNolte Marina?!?!

Remember the Santa Barbara soap opera?

Remember the Santa Barbara soap opera?

It's vague (I think I was too young), but speaking of Santa Barbara...

Crystal Voyager.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Don't test my Mocha Dick.

Not that Soulstrut needs any more bravado, and not to bring that how many times you had a piece pulled on you, son type of oneupsmanship[/b] to this thread--cause marina dudes can get along--but, I think it's worth mentioning that I was, in fact, raised on the marina.

No shit. Lagoon-living, boat-launch-out-the-front-door-having, duck-call-around-the-neck-looking pre-teen that I was, my grandfather raised me (after pops skipped town) on the shores of Susuin Bay. Quite literally so. The house was on stilts. Marsh below, dock in front, Grandpa's boat, named after Grammy (may she rest in peace) "Lucille". My grandfather was a maintenance man for Grizzly Island Duck Hunting Reserve (I couldn't make up a cooler name, really b/w So close to Vallejo, yet never mentioned in an of 40s raps?).

My marina-raised memoirs are still, as of right now, unpublished, but allow me to share a few of the photos that you won't find in the bootleged galley that's floating around:

Grandpa Walt, shore-standing, fully perked, waiting for the flood:

"How high the water, Mama?"

Let's be clear on one thing: Buffet ain't got shit on my shirtless, non-ironic John-Deer-trucker-hat-wearing, Coors-can-cluthcing, catfishing-off-the-dock-catching, asscheeks-in-perpetual-sticking-out-the-pants-mode, toothless Uncle Ray Ray, and that's on the real! (Little Me, shirtless, eating an Granny Smith. Take a number, ladies.)

--and the message that this thread needs more than any other--

Marina isn't a look, it's a way of life: Go Out On Thin Ice[/b]

• -Posing shirtless outdoors does not make you Marina.

OKAY, BUT being pushed off of a dock and coming up out of the
    lake water still clutching a six-pack of Budweiser DOES MAKE YOU.
    Marina.

(refer to the inner sleeve of this rarity for proof):

Album title: Long Walk On A Short Pier[/b]

• One of the most beautiful photos I've ever seen.

Short pier days and times.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Man, you hit all the familial G-Spots (delicious) with the above comments.

I spent an entire month (well, okay... year) in the early '90s as an unemployed, late-sleepin', setting-my-alarm-for-noon-so-I-don't-miss-Rockford type of dude. I absolutely love James Garner, especially James as Jim Rockford. All the things you mention (living in a trailer, pier fishing, Firebird, polyester slacks) are things that were embedded in my childhood by my Coor-can-clutchin' uncles. One of whom, I might add, "Kenny" (R.I.P.), bore a striking resemblance to James Garner. See for yourself:

(Left to right: Uncle Kenny and adult-braces-wearing, Coors-can-cluthcin' Ray)

Not only that, but my ace homie--after I admitted to him how much I loved Rockford Files--once told me, "That's my great uncle." It seems James Garner, after his okie upbringing and his time in Korea, wanted to put some distance between him and his clan, so he shortened his name and went all Tinseltown, trying to put some distance between he and the family.

It's a soft spot kinda thing, but I love knowing that I am *this close* to the genius that is (bum)Garner. As hard as it is for one to witness James as Jim ever actually kill someone during his duty as Rockford, it's as equally hard to ever get a portrait style/for comparison close up of my homies face. I guess both are occupational hazards. But here's homie just before he went to the big house, sippin' a (mostly) whiskey and (hardly any) Coke.

Who is the tall dark stranger there?
    Maverick is his name.
    Riding the trail to who-knows-where
    Luck is his companion
    Gamblin' is his game.

Smooth as the handle on a gun.
    Maverick is his name.
    Wild as the wind in Oregon
    Blowin' up a canyon/ Easier to tame.

Riverboat ring your bell.
    Fare-thee-well Annabelle.
    Luck is the lady that he loves the best.
    Natchez to New Orleans.
    Livin' on jacks and queens.
    Maverick is the legend of the west.

• I deejay in the Marina District of San Francisco. Where does that put me in the spectrum of all things nautical?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I deejay in the Marina District of San Francisco. Where does that put me in the spectrum of all things nautical?

Cabin boy?

• I deejay in the Marina District of San Francisco. Where does that put me in the spectrum of all things nautical?

Cabin boy?

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

White Heat
    Dad Rock

I wish I had pics of my Dad handy. Marina, not yacht. Definitely. Lower-middle class 80's FL represent.