Unintended Hilarious Translations

MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
I work at HK Flix in Oakland, a company that distributes and sells Asian and European DVD's throughout the world. Throughout the day I encounter a lot of movies with hysterically bad synopsis translations on the back of the dvd cases. Today, I think I found the all time winner. Check it:*edit, tried to link to cover image but no dice...anyways...From "Eyeball:""Denise is short sighted. She play soccer. Smack - a ball hits her right in the face. Her glasses break and everything goes black. In hospital, she wakes up with a different view of the world. With one eye bandaged, all she sees is twins, pairs, couples and doubles. Is she the only single? She realises that it is time to give up."???

Comments

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    "Denise is short sighted. She play soccer. Smack - a ball hits her right in the face. Her glasses break and everything goes black. In hospital, she wakes up with a different view of the world. With one eye bandaged, all she sees is twins, pairs, couples and doubles. Is she the only single? She realises that it is time to give up."

???

Giant WTF.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    from "Troublesome Night 14":

"Christin is working in a hotel which owned by her friend Zidanes' fianc?? Budcasso. One day, Budcasso send her daughter Fion to invite his ex-wife Mrs. Bud Lung for his wedding party. On the other hand, it has been discovered Christin steal money from the hotel, she turn to ask help from Zidane, but Zidane rejected. She afraid it would damage her relationship with Budcasso from this matter. Christin plans to commit suicide in order to get mercy from Budcasso. However, she failed and died.[/b] She became a fierce ghost to get revenge and try to kill everybody..."

• Man, this stuff was a lot funnier before I became a translator. Now it's just my daily reality

At least I'm translating INTO my native language.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Man, this stuff was a lot funnier before I became a translator. Now it's just my daily reality

At least I'm translating INTO my native language.

I'm working with a contract that's been translated into English from Spanish. Some of the clauses are nonsensical due to wonky translations. It's awkward for me because I don't want to insult the other party's translating skills, but I also need to protect my ass in the case that our relationship sours and to do that, I need to understand the terms I'm agreeing to. On the upside, it's not everyday that a legal document makes you chuckle.

• from a Japanese hotel.I permanently borrowed a sign posted near a computer that reads

"having me use a LAN line for this place,and the visitors whom it wants to be used internet for in one having a note pc increase.

a Cable please be used to be you because i prepare to at the front desk.

please refrain to use for a long time to have all of you use it."

the trans was sooo jacked i had to borrow it.
    have it posted near my computer now.

• i saw someone wearing a t-shirt in kyoto that said
    FREAKY 808 SOUL MANAGER[/b]

• i saw someone wearing a t-shirt in kyoto that said
    FREAKY 808 SOUL MANAGER[/b]

I saw some hilarious shirts is Japan. only managed to get a photo of this one though

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Probably in everyone's humor vocab, but www.engrish.com