Shanghai ? ?

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited August 2006 in Strut Central
hiI will be there in few days......... any info on local spots ? cds are all right with me...any suggestion for (old and new) chinese music to listen to, would be very welcome..thanks in advances

Comments

• parenparen 537 Posts
    I'll be heading to Shanghai in this fall as well. Advance advice appreciated.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    I'll be heading to Shanghai in this fall as well. Advance advice appreciated.

kenny or sno are you still out there ?

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

check your PM plaese.

• snosno 332 Posts
    I have lost the card for Ka Dee Club, but I am checking with my contact (who's somewhere in Beijing right now) for the actual address.

Music wise, stay away as far as possible when you see names like Jay Zhou or Jolin Tsai. You may wish to check these electronic/beaty/idm crew at Shanghai: http://www.myspace.com/antidotechina

Dig wise, I believe Kenny can get you covered.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I lived there for a year as an exchange student, and in all of Shanghai I found ONE spot, with a lot of help from a massive network of friends my host-mother had going.

Posted about it back then but I think it probably got lost during one of the site-crashes. You CAN find nice things, and I had a hell of a time going to this spot (dirty, cruddy, stinking and situated in the middle of this market for scrap computer-parts), so you might hear about it from this Kenny dude (which one you thinking of, man?)

It was a used-turntable shop, that might help? Sorry, this was a while back...

Have fun though, it??s a great place. Eat hongshao rou (red-fried meat), Long Xia (dragon shrimp) if they??re in season, lamb meat on sticks that the Xinjiang-dudes sell, browse for 3-yuan DVDs (you can find ANYTHING and, unfortunately, everything) and smoke Chung Hua or Li Gun cigarettes.

- J

As for music, there??s this Taiwanese dude called (don??t laugh) MC Hot Dog[/b] that did some cool tracks if you??re into hip-hop. As far as older stuff goes, try to find some Taiwanese stuff on the Lian Cheng label, Tiao Su Rong in particular

- J

• HewHew 17 Posts
    I have lost the card for Ka Dee Club

just got back from china there a few months ago. address is:
    483 zhen ning rd
    tel 52398920

thanks to all for your feedback .......I arrived yesterday I will check and let you know .........

P.S. 4 Vincent = me and my main squeeze would be happy to come in hk but I frankly don`t know if we can make it with our budget

cheers
    S

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    there're dudes that run this spot called the "lab", just a bunch of turntables setup for dj'ing/cutting. They will be able to clue you if anything....

• snosno 332 Posts
    483 zhen ning rd
    tel 52398920

Are they still going strong with a comprehensive collection of DVDs??? 'cos my friend told me a very funny story about going to KDC during the administration beat down on bootlegs, the lady-in-charge just sat in the front lounge telling people nonchalantly there's nothing here to sell with a cigarette dangling on her mouth like in a Stephen Chau movie. Suffice it to say people are fiending for more DVDs and stuff during that draught...I hope they bounce back with a bigger and stronger collection...

hey Andrea, how long are you gonna stay at Shanghai?

• snosno 332 Posts
    As for music, there??s this Taiwanese dude called (don??t laugh) MC Hot Dog[/b] that did some cool tracks if you??re into hip-hop. As far as older stuff goes, try to find some Taiwanese stuff on the Lian Cheng label, Tiao Su Rong in particular

- J

Just stay away from Jay Zhou or Jolin Tsai.
    MC Hotdog..."I love Tai-mei" is a nice breezy summer joint (though it's borderline cheese), you can learn how to sing "throw you hands in the air as if you don't care" in Mandarin.
    What's the link you gave me last time with that Mainland group with that nice downtempo joint, Kenny???

it's borderline cheese

Oh it??s cheesy alright, but not as ridiculously cheesy as some of the other stuff they going around the charts over there. The top-ten over there is like the epitomy of BLAND.

- J

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    hi

I will be there in few days.........

any info on local spots ? cds are all right with me

...any suggestion for (old and new) chinese music to listen to, would be very welcome..

thanks in advance
    s

Stop by this place: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=80011811

And holler at my boy Gary Wang aka DJ V-Nutz.

• HewHew 17 Posts
    483 zhen ning rd
    tel 52398920

Are they still going strong with a comprehensive collection of DVDs??? 'cos my friend told me a very funny story about going to KDC during the administration beat down on bootlegs, the lady-in-charge just sat in the front lounge telling people nonchalantly there's nothing here to sell with a cigarette dangling on her mouth like in a Stephen Chau movie. Suffice it to say people are fiending for more DVDs and stuff during that draught...I hope they bounce back with a bigger and stronger collection...

yeah it was crazy, loads of stuff on the shelves with "proper" dvd hardcovers. Then they pulled out five massive folders of yet more covers of all these awesome independent foreign films.
    It still looks shady tho with the blue blind over the front window, they don't exactly advertise the place...

• snosno 332 Posts
    yeah it was crazy, loads of stuff on the shelves with "proper" dvd hardcovers. Then they pulled out five massive folders of yet more covers of all these awesome independent foreign films.
    It still looks shady tho with the blue blind over the front window, they don't exactly advertise the place...

blue blind, a coffee shop front with a massive backroom full of bootleg DVDs.
    Last time I was there I dropped 1,000RMB on loads of Criterion joints plus TV stuff. even more shady is that they gave us all these CD wallets for free, and told us to stuff the DVDs inside the wallets, ditch all the boxes and cases in the hotel, stash the DVDs in the check-in luggage and never take them on-board. seems like they got the whole operation figured out.

blue blind, a coffee shop front with a massive backroom full of bootleg DVDs.
    Last time I was there I dropped 1,000RMB on loads of Criterion joints plus TV stuff. even more shady is that they gave us all these CD wallets for free, and told us to stuff the DVDs inside the wallets, ditch all the boxes and cases in the hotel, stash the DVDs in the check-in luggage and never take them on-board. seems like they got the whole operation figured out.

Ive been there but i saw they have just a big brown door and when you enter you see mostly people from abroad checkin dvds on a big table and on the shelves....

but I ve seen only one room ..maybe I missed some other room in the place ?

• snosno 332 Posts
    Last time I was there they have the front room, which looks like your average coffee parlour. Then you turn right, opposite to the washroom, there's the backroom full of DVDs and catalogs and whatnot with ex-pats picking and choosing from their fine collection. They may have switch up the setting a little since the last time, but have faith, they still have the biggest collection in town.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    damn i really couldn't offer much help regarding mainland China, need to step my travel game up big time

but wish you a wonderful time there Andre!

I sent some PMs