european rap magazines?

subsub 311 Posts
edited July 2006 in Strut Central
actually sending out promos and exept some german ones i hardly know any rap mags from europe? can someone help me out? be it dutch, spanish or from the uk. just drop some names. it's apreciated.....thanks!

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Germany - Juice
    Sweden - Quote
    Norway - Kingsize

Don't know about current UK ones, Hip Hop Connection is one I guess but it looks a bit shady. Grand Slam is thoroughly missed.

• subsub 311 Posts
    thanks mjukis! more names still apreicated....

• waximilienwaximilien 352 Posts
    bbarak in prague is dope. hhc, kings, big smoke in the UK. modart in germany... there's some really tight mags in spain and greece but i forget the names offhand

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I never heard of Modart from germany and I think I know them all here.

These are the biggest magazines in their countrys with the best and widest distribution.

For all kind of rap in Germany you should get in contact with Juice (www.juice.de) which is the german XXL magazine.

In Germany too is Backspin (www.backspin.de) which is a little less into the mainstream stuff even if they got Outcast on the cover of their actual issue.

Other Magazines with good distributio in Germany who cover hiphop too but are not straight rap magazines are Spex (www.spex.de), Intro (www.intro.de) and for even world wide distribution but out of Germany you should contact Lodown Magazin (www.lodownmagazine.com)

For Switzerland talk to Word (http://www.wordmagazine.ch/home.php) they are a bit artsy too but the like straight up rap stuff. Comercial stuff gets not thrown out the window but is not so much covered as f.e. a Madlib of Jay Dilla.

For Austria check The Message (http://www.themessage.at/) they come 4 times a year and they are concentrating on rare grooves and funk too.

The biggest german websites for rap which have a shop too are www.mzee.com and www.rap.de

Peace
    Hawkeye

• I never heard of Modart from germany and I think I know them all here.

hehe - should i take that as a dig? MODART is (as the title implies) not just a hip-hop mag, but rather a general hip-hop/art/skate mag. it's excellent and has some of the best design i've ever seen in a magazine. it's heavy on the graf side, but if it reviews my shit, i'd say it reviews hip-hop. course if you know them all but don't know it, i must be lying

can't find the web address off hand but when i come across it i'll post it up. well worth checking out though mate

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Don't know about current UK ones, Hip Hop Connection is one I guess but it looks a bit shady. Grand Slam is thoroughly missed.

Yea, Grand Slam was the shit! HHC is hot garbage. They are always dissing on US acts like the UK invented hip hop. DJ Muggs even wrote them a letter asked them to show a little more respect and they printed it a basically told him to fuck off!

• http://www.kingsize.no

It's Scandinavias (Norway + Sweden + Denmark) biggest rap magazine.

You can also send some promos to the excellent radio show GOODSHIT here in Oslo, Norway if you want..

check us out at:

http://www.goodshitradio.com/

peace from Norway

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    hehe - should i take that as a dig? MODART is (as the title implies) not just a hip-hop mag, but rather a general hip-hop/art/skate mag. it's excellent and has some of the best design i've ever seen in a magazine. it's heavy on the graf side, but if it reviews my shit, i'd say it reviews hip-hop. course if you know them all but don't know it, i must be lying

can't find the web address off hand but when i come across it i'll post it up. well worth checking out though mate

No, no diss or pun or homo intented

I just never heard of a HipHop mag with that name, but you cleared it up, it is no HipHop mag in itself.

The same with Lodown, Spex or Intro which I mentioned. These are fine mags too and maybe you should check them too because they are wider spread than Modart. But I think I know the mag you talked about, there is a lot going on in the design and artsy magazine market here in germany. Mags like "Deutsch" and others try to get a new and elite audience that dont want to be part of a elite, you know what I mean.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• hehe - yeah that's it man, it's more like lodown than a straight up hip-hop mag, i was just playin